Canada’s Only True Desert

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
well, the one thing I remember, from a long time ago, is that osoyoos is part of the Sonora desert
which sits south to north, and the tip of it is part of osoyoos.

maybe this is true, maybe it isn't, post just reminded me of that article, have not
studied it in detail, so more info on that little 'fact', if it is a fact, would be
interesting.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
The Barren Lsnds above the treeline up to the Arctic Ocean.

Kamloops is pretty feckin' dry, though.

Glacier

Electoral Member
Apr 24, 2015
Okanagan
Last edited:

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Most of the NWT and Nunavut get less precip every year than the Sahara. Canada has one of the World's larger deserts.

Glacier

Electoral Member
Apr 24, 2015
Okanagan
Most of the NWT and Nunavut get less precip every year than the Sahara. Canada has one of the World's larger deserts.

If you would read the article in the OP you'd know that precipitation alone does not determine how deserty a place is. Because the north is so cold there is very little evaporation so much of the water says to keep the vegetation green.

Whitehorse is the driest city in Canada, but compare it to Kamloops, hands down, Kamloops is more arid.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
If you would read the article in the OP you'd know that precipitation alone does not determine how deserty a place is. Because the north is so cold there is very little evaporation so much of the water says to keep the vegetation green.

Whitehorse is the driest city in Canada, but compare it to Kamloops, hands down, Kamloops is more arid.

I know both places and I would agree. My folks lived nearby in the Shuswap when they were alive and I used to fly in and out of Kamloops several times a year. Sage brush and cactus up on them thar hills ...

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
You've been lied to. Check out the map here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonoran_Desert

yep, did a bit of reading, you seem to be right, well lets see, shall we go for the 'sahara' ?

check that one out. lol

ok, read a bit about the semi arid desert area near osoyoos, they do say that
there are other areas in b.c. 'more' arid, but that particular semi-arid area
has certain plants not located anywhere else in Canada.

it is part of the Okanogan desert, no mention of Sonora, wish I could remember
the 'show', it was a documentary on tv, but too long ago for me to remember
any detail, but I do remember how they explained how the Sonora desert
worked its way north into Canada and the osoyoos area.

Last edited:

Glacier

Electoral Member
Apr 24, 2015
Okanagan
yep, did a bit of reading, you seem to be right, well lets see, shall we go for the 'sahara' ?

check that one out. lol

That documentary was probably put together by the tourist marketers so I wouldn't put much faith in it.

There are plants in Osoyoos that are not found in Ashcroft. One of them is Antelope Brush. The only other place it's found in Canada is the East Kootenay area, and that's not a desert. Another species found that's not found in Ashcroft is the sun scorpion. This animal is found in Alberta and Saskatchewan though.

There are also semi-arid species found further south of Osoyoos that aren't found in Osoyoos. This doesn't mean Osoyoos isn't semi-arid. Rather, it makes Osoyoos further north. As you go north the number of species drop because the winters get colder.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Quick, what's the first thing that pops in your head? If it's Osoyoos, then you've been brainwashed by the media or possibly the Osoyoos Chamber of commerce.

Read more: https://questioningthedata.wordpress.com/2015/08/22/canadas-only-true-desert/

You would probably have to go to some place like Ellesmere Island to find a desert in Canada. I think Ashcroft is drier than Osoyoos.

You are arguing with yourself. (I find as we age that is not all that uncommon):)

check that one out. lol

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonoran_Desert

Looks to me like Sonora Desert is pretty well confined to Mexico, California and Arizona.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
I doubt there's a conspiracy to fool us about the definition/location of deserts in Canada.

We could make one. Design our own hats and decide just how many aliens we want to be involved. It'll be fun. I'll make cookies.

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC
We can't have hats. Hats are what you should wear in the desert to protect yourself from sunstroke. Wearing a hat would be giving in to Desert-Hat Industrial Complex.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
In the link it also mentions Della falls as not being the highest falls. There are others that are higher, I've been to a couple on the coast that are probably higher that are not mentioned. Seems it depends on just how you want to measure. Total height or highest freefall with no interruptions. So I would guess that desert is also subject to interpretation.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
You would probably have to go to some place like Ellesmere Island to find a desert in Canada. I think Ashcroft is drier than Osoyoos.

You are arguing with yourself. (I find as we age that is not all that uncommon):)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonoran_Desert

Looks to me like Sonora Desert is pretty well confined to Mexico, California and Arizona.

yes, that is what is says, but I remember an explanation on the documentary,which made the Sonora
expand to the north, (in small pockets, as well as where it obviously is located, so I'm
wondering how old the Wikipedia info is, and how often things like this are updated after
newer information 'might' be found, for me, because of that documentary, there is still a
grey area in my mind,(maybe just sand, lol)

maybe they have examined samples of desert in osoyoos and some other parts of the northern u.s.,
which contain the same materials as found in the Sonoran desert, just wondering, these areas
would be very small.

the Wikipedia is great, but doesn't contain 100% of everything needed, all the time.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
I'm more interested in the money end of, can trawlers and ice breakers load up super tankers with sea ice and deliver it to Mexico and make money? Since the ice would renew itself it should be royalty free.

The 10 Driest Places on Earth
DOn't need top go that far. Cali is pretty thirsty and is having its driest time since the 9th century.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
the Wikipedia is great, but doesn't contain 100% of everything needed, all the time.

Yep, I've used Wikipedia a lot and have generally found it to be quite reliable and good for entertainment purposes but might not be quite up to snuff for something to take to court or to the bank. :)

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Is the rain missing altogether or is the rain falling more to the north? I find it more likely that if Calif ends up looking like the Baja then the natural rain Calif got would move the same distance. Calif also had huge aquifers Vancouver might get Calif weather but the island and mainland is too steep for farming. Grape vines on narrow terraces and water from the new glacier covering the Rockies all year long. The land that can be farmed without irrigation would be Idaho and the prairies would be growing plants that develop underground. Need I point out that vodka is made from potatoes?