The deer which have to cross Britain's busiest road to get to their grazing grounds

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
These deer wait until sunset to cross the busy M25 using bridges and tunnels to their native grazing grounds across London.

They appear to be undeterred by the bright lights and loud noises to find their forests and farmland either side of the motorway.

Jamie Hall, 36, photographed the deer as they passed through at two points of the road in between Essex and Hertfordshire.

The M25, which circles London, is the busiest road in Europe.

Deer herd waits until sunset to cross the busy M25 - using bridges and tunnels dotted around the London's ringroad

By Mark Duell for MailOnline
11 August 2015
Daily Mail

These deer wait until sunset to cross the busy M25 using bridges and tunnels to their native grazing grounds across London.

They appear to be undeterred by the bright lights and loud noises to find their forests and farmland either side of the motorway.

Jamie Hall, 36, photographed the deer as they passed through at two points of the road in between Essex and Hertfordshire.

He travelled from his home in Woodbridge, Suffolk, for the shoot and sat outside under a tree overnight to keep an eye on his cameras.

Mr Hall said: ‘I used camera traps to get the images, as I would scare them off if I got too close to them.

‘Using camera traps means setting the camera up and leaving an infrared trip beam across a particular path or passage that the deer use.

‘Once the deer walk along the path and walk through the invisible beam the camera would trigger, resulting in an image.’

Over they go: The normally-reclusive deer wait until the sun goes down to bravely cross Britain's busiest motorway

The M25 motorway circles London

Bright lights: The deer travel in groups as they cross London's outer ringroad, the M25 motorway, late at night

Journey: The bright lights and loud noises from the busy motorway don't seem to bother the deer as they make the crossings

Snapped: The unusual photographs were taken by photographer Jamie Hall at different bridges across the M25 in London

Caught in the light: Mr Hall photographed the deer as they passed through at two points of the road in between Essex and Hertfordshire

Underpass: The photographer travelled from his home in Suffolk and sat outside under a tree overnight to keep an eye on his cameras

Technique: Mr Hall said he 'used camera traps to get the images, as I would scare them off if I got too close to them'

Caught on camera: The equipment was set up and an infrared trip beam was left across a path or passage used by the deer

Movement: Mr Hall said that 'once the deer walk along the path and walk through the invisible beam the camera would trigger'

In the shadow: Mr Hall 'had to sit under a tree all night keeping an eye on the camera equipment to stop it from going missing'

The eyes have it: The deer have learned to use the bridges and underpasses to travel to and from their native grazing grounds

Flash: Mr Hall said there 'didn't ever seem to be any reaction to vehicles above or below them - they are used to the volume of traffic'

Last edited:

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
I don't know, but I wonder what mysterious beings wander those bridges and tunnels in the dead of night.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
The deer that survive around here wait at the side of the road and look for traffic before crossing. Now if we could just teach people to do the same thing.