Peru to Provide Free Solar Power to its 2 Million Poorest Citizens

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Peru to Provide Free Solar Power to its 2 Million Poorest Citizens

The country of Peru is looking to provide free electricity to over 2 million of its poorest citizens by harvesting energy from the sun. Energy and Mining Minister Jorge Merino said that the National Photovoltaic Household Electrification Program will provide electricity to poor households through the installation of photovoltaic panels.

The first part of the program aims to provide solar systems to 500,000 extremely poor households in areas that lack even basic access to the power grid. Unsurprisingly, it is a massive opportunity for domestic solar installers, and Merino has said that bidding for the contract will open later this year to fix the rest of the panels.

The project was first started in Contumaza, a province in the northeastern region of Cajamarca, where 1,601 solar panels were installed. The energy minister has said that when the project is finished, the scheme will allow 95% of Peru to have access to electricity by the end of 2016.

Speaking to the Latin America Herald Tribune, Merino said: “This program is aimed at the poorest people, those who lack access to electric lighting and still use oil lamps, spending their own resources to pay for fuels that harm their health.”

If Peru can do this for its people, it makes you wonder why more prosperous countries can’t do the same.

- See more at: Peru to Provide Free Solar Power to its 2 Million Poorest Citizens

grainfedpraiboy

Electoral Member
Mar 15, 2009
Alberta The Last Best West
If Peru can do this for its people, it makes you wonder why more prosperous countries can’t do the same.

Countries like Canada make it hard. Up until 15 years ago gird intertie was still occurring through an underground movement known as "gorilla solar" where it was hooked up illegally. Germany was on the right track and to a lesser degree so was Spain then they decided solar need to be taxed to support the traditional utilities which were losing ground.

Government should get out of the business of subsidizing or regulating all utilities even water and sewage etc and allow market forces to dictate the price and allow energy sources to rise or fall on their own merits. The way we regulate utilities in Canada is akin to how Iran regulates fuel prices.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Kettle would be on a gas stove, and in poor and hot countries like that, they generally have tile or cement flooring, so a broom would suffice.

Might be nice for lights or a fridge, I doubt they have Internet.

Even the richest of homes use tile.

Guadalajara, Jalisco, Mexico Luxury Real Estate and Homes for Sales

Where are they supposed to get gas? Boiling water in Cusco would be a real bitch. Lights in the day time when sun is shining? What about at night?

Yes they have internet. Where did think 3G phones go to die after being traded in? In poor countries cell service is dirt cheap. We pay $60 for a basic plan because we can. They pay what they can. Cool huh?

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Where are they supposed to get gas?

Sorry Propane Gas. They go into town to the market, generally pick up freshly killed poultry or pigs to cook that evening and refrigeration is costly and just like a camper, fill up propane tanks.

At least that is how I did it when I lived down there.

Small fridge for milk, and other necessities.. but a large freezer is expensive to power. So daily you go to the market and pick up freshly killed food.

Yes they have internet. Where did think 3G phones go to die after being traded in? In poor countries cell service is dirt cheap. We pay $60 for a basic plan because we can. They pay what they can. Cool huh?

Cellular service is very expensive in the back areas of the country, it's best to go to an Internet Cafe' and pay 25 pesos per 15 minutes.

I don't know where you get your ideas Petro.. I have lived down there, and I have family down there.. and the cartels are a major issue.

The link below has a photo of my cousin the mayor of Teloloapan, Gro.

Disappearances and drug cartels: the whispered secret of southern Mexico -The Tico Times

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Peru isn't Mexico. They speak Mexican but that is where it ends.

Da faq?!

WOW Really Petros?? They speak Spanish. I've been to Peru, Colombia, Costa Rica, Belize and other Latin countries..

You want to see some magnificent architectural structures, churches, buildings. Go for vacation in Latin America and get as far away from the tourist cities as possible.

bill barilko

Senate Member
Mar 4, 2009
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
FYI-home delivery of cooking gas is common in most Latin American countries as Boomer says-life isn't all that different than here just poorer and with less convenience.

it is a massive opportunity for domestic solar installers, and Merino has said that bidding for the contract will open later this year to fix the rest of the panels.

One way to look @ this story is that this whole solar powered offer is a scam/yet another chance for the rich to suck the gov't teat.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
FYI-home delivery of cooking gas is common in most Latin American countries as Boomer says-life isn't all that different than here just poorer and with less convenience.

Yeah in the bigger centers, but not in the small pueblos, where I am guessing the Solar power will be provided.

In Mexico Pemex Petro brings it to the residences in Cuernavaca, MX and Guadalajara, MX, saw those trucks when I lived in those cities.. and in Cuernavaca, fukk the ants, they get into everything.

One way to look @ this story is that this whole solar powered offer is a scam/yet another chance for the rich to suck the gov't teat.

Giving FREE power to the poor is a bad thing, you're saying??

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Yes of course there is propane and butane. It's cheap.

If you've been to Latin America or South America you probably noticed people steal ****load of electricity and gangs control the distribution in the barriors.

And I still say they speak Mexican.

bill barilko

Senate Member
Mar 4, 2009
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Yeah in the bigger centers, but not in the small pueblos, where I am guessing the Solar power will be provided.

In Mexico Pemex Petro brings it to the residences in Cuernavaca, MX and Guadalajara, MX, saw those trucks when I lived in those cities.. and in Cuernavaca, fukk the ants, they get into everything.

[/img]
I meant home delivery of gas canisters you see it everywhere all you have to do is phone and they show up.

Giving FREE power to the poor is a bad thing, you're saying??
It's not free if taxpayers have to pay & pay & pay-and they will.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
I meant home delivery of gas canisters you see it everywhere all you have to do is phone and they show up.

Yeah, ok.. I was talking about the bigger cities there like Mexico City.. it's just like living in Canada.. difference is they actually have Jack-in-the-Box, Carls Jr. and you'd think you're in some US city.

Yeah as you get further outside the city, things change fast.

The place I stayed they didn't even have a conventional grocery store because the cost of power. It was open markets, fresh food, well water that you had to cart to the roof.

Basically every day you had to go to the market to get your food. You also witnessed your dinner being slaughtered fresh.

It was truly a trip.

OH!! and over on the other side of the mountain a valley of pot plants and men with semi-auto machine guns, and dead bodies as a reminder of who was in charge of the area, along with kidnappings of people too.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
You don't have Carl's Jr. In Cgy?

So it's better for poor to buy gas than have enough free solar power to cook?