Edmonton to Decide Whether all Catered Meals to be Vegan

grainfedpraiboy

Electoral Member
Mar 15, 2009
Alberta The Last Best West

Marina Banister is chair of the Edmonton Youth Council's sustainability committee, which initiated the effort to get the youth council to only cater vegan meals for themselves. They now want Edmonton City Council to follow suit, a motion that is up for debate.

A debate over vegetarian food is threatening to split Edmonton’s city council as they confront a new request from the youth.
“Most of us said, ‘What the heck?’” said Coun. Tony Caterina, surprised at a formal motion from Edmonton’s youth council that asks councillors to make all their catered meals vegan or vegetarian because of the impact reducing meat consumption typically has on water use, land use and carbon emissions.

In practice, the change would be small — eliminating an occasional meat and cheese platter served on full council days several times a year. But as a public statement in historically pro-beef Alberta, a yes vote would be significant.

“This is a very political issue in terms of what Alberta understands itself to be,” she said, pointing to backlash from the beef lobby when Calgary Mayor Al Duerr lent his support for Vegetarian Month in 1995. Pressure forced him to rescind his proclamation just four days later.

When Alberta’s country star k.d. lang appeared in a anti-meat commercial, dozens of radio stations banned her songs, the agriculture minister of the day said he felt betrayed and hate-mongers defaced k.d. lang signs in her home town of Consort, Alta.
But Edmonton isn’t Consort or even Calgary Coun. Andrew Knack said he’ll vote for the motion. Past councils have already voted not to use bottled water in City Hall and to serve fair trade coffee.

“This makes a small change, but a big impact for sustainability,” he said. The motion is not asking people to become vegan or vegetarian, but simply to reduce meat consumption by a little bit. “To me, it’s a really small change,” Knack said. “If everyone did that, what does that look like?”

Knack sits as an adviser on the youth council, an appointed group of 16 Edmonton residents between the age of 13 and 23. The motion originated with heir sustainability committee but was passed by the full council unanimously.

“My first reaction hearing this debate was, ‘Really? This is important?’” Knack said. But that’s the point of the youth council. They bring issues that are important to them, even if they aren’t on the radar for elected councillors.
My first reaction hearing this debate was, ‘Really? This is important?
Marina Banister, chair of the youth council’s sustainability committee, said eating meat has far larger environmental consequences than most people realize.

To produce a hamburger, the farming industry first has to grow enough grain to raise the cow. That means serving beef, particularly when the cow been raised on grain in a feedlot, requires more water and land than serving grain and bean-based options.

Fertilizer and manure run-off can also pollute streams and rivers, and increased methane from livestock is a potent greenhouse gas, she said. It has to be a nuanced debate because eating almonds grown during a drought in California or a mango shipped from halfway around the world also has implications. But as a general principle, reducing meat is a good environmental choice.

“The vast majority of meat sold in grocery stores is factory farm meat,” said Banister, a 20-year-old political science student. “This is a very small change that has a big impact. … It’s not that meat eating is terrible. It’s that having less meat in your diet reduces your environmental impact.”

Edmonton City Council faces divisive vote on whether to make all of its catered meals vegan or vegetarian | National Post

Not to dismiss how much I would like to have sex with the chair of the Edmonton Youth Council's sustainability committee and how I would happily pretend to be vegan if she had a moment of poor judgement and allowed it, I cannot support the decision to remove meat from our diet.

Last edited:

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
No vegan diet for me. Tried it in the past and wound up getting burning headaches. Soon as I went back to eating meat, the headaches cleared out.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Anyone heard of PETA I like it People Eating Tasty Animals now that
sounds better For Pete's sake why would someone dictate what the
rest eat. City Council needs to have its head read

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
GMO proteins crops to the rescue.

Thank God for noisy combines. In the old days when they cut lentils by hand the screams were overwhelming for the women, children and so.e of the weaker men.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
The derp will get worse before it gets better. These new age poli-mouthbreathers need to grow up yet.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Everyone who finds a new religion seem to feel the need to convert everybody...
I've seen it with people who suddenly find god, with global warming. with dieting, with exercise nuts, etc.
It's like a revelation to some people....