Red-eye at the pool? It's not the chlorine, it's the urine

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Red-eye at the pool? It's not the chlorine, it's the urine
Postmedia Network
First posted: Thursday, June 25, 2015 01:38 PM EDT | Updated: Thursday, June 25, 2015 02:21 PM EDT
Before you decide to beat the heat at the public pool this summer, consider this: The Center for Disease Control in the U.S. says its not the chlorine that makes your eyes red, it's all the urine.
The gross revelation came during an interview with Women's Health magazine, just in time for the Center's annual Healthy Swimming Program.
"Chlorine binds with all the things it's trying to kill from your bodies, and it forms these chemical irritants. That's what's stinging your eyes. It's the chlorine binding to the urine and the sweat," Michael J. Beach, Ph.D., associate director of the CDC's Healthy Water program, told the magazine.
And if you're not grossed out enough, consider that cough you can get from swimming at an indoor pool. Yep, that's from urine and sweat too.
The same trapped chemical, he said, can irritate lungs when you breathe it in.
It's all the more reason to make sure you shower before jumping in.
"If you're talking about thousands of people using the same pool, those germs can really add up," Beach said.
Red-eye at the pool? It's not the chlorine, it's the urine | Weird | News | Toro

Glacier

Electoral Member
Apr 24, 2015
Okanagan
And here I thought it was the c*m washing off of people who had recently engaged in sex without showering. My bad.

Glacier

Electoral Member
Apr 24, 2015
Okanagan
I know it's an open forum and all but you don't really have to share every thought in your head. M'Kay?
This is a thing I've always pondered since I'm a full blown germophobe. You know that 20% of the population is having sex on any given day, and 10% of those people didn't shower afterwards. That means that 1 in 50 people are dirty. Worse yet, many of the dude are gay so you might be getting a little e coli added to the mix, though gay dudes almost always shower afterwards.

They change the water twice per year on the pool, so after 6 months in a pool that has 100 visitors per day, there's a lot of crap in the water we don't want to think about. Plus, I work at the pool, so I know how many times a little kid shatts in the pool. It happens every week. We shut the pool down for a few minutes, scoop out the solids, and shock it with a heavy dose of chlorine. Remember, just because you're wearing pants doesn't mean that any liquids and such inside your shorts can't be washed out with the water.