The Ring of Fire is Waking up

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
40 Volcanoes Are Erupting Right Now, And 34 Of Them Are Along The Ring Of Fire

You may not have noticed, but our planet is becoming increasingly unstable. According to Volcano Discovery, 40 volcanoes
around the globe are erupting right now, and only 6 of them are not along the Ring of Fire. If that sounds like a very high number to you, that is because it is a very high number.
As I have written about previously, there were a total of 3,542 volcanic eruptions during the entire 20th century. When you divide that number by 100, that gives you an average of about 35 volcanic eruptions per year. So the number of volcanoes that are erupting right now is well above the 20th century’s average for an entire calendar year. And of course we are witnessing a tremendous amount of earthquake activity as well. Nepal was just hit by the worst earthquake that it had seen in 80 years, and scientists are telling us that the Himalayas actually dropped by an astounding 3 feet as a result of that one earthquake. How much more does our planet have to shake before people start paying attention?

40 Volcanoes Are Erupting Right Now, And 34 Of Them Are Along The Ring Of Fire

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
I was wondering when someone would blame the volcanoes erupting on climate change.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
I will pay more attention. I commit to staring 8 hours a day at the Coast Mountain range, across from Vancouver Island. I will gaze steadfast and in complete wakuptedness. Like a Ninja. Nothing will get past me, not even a receding snowcap.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
The thing about averages is .... they are averages. 60 one year and 10 the next averages to 35. Over 100 years, this one year will probably barely change the average.

The Earth will do what the Earth will do. Nobody said it was constant.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Round up some grade 2 girls and throw them into the volcanoes. That'll appease the volcano gods.

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC
34 out of 40 erupting volcanoes being in the Ring of Fire might seems like a startling statistic, but it's not. The Ring of Fire is the most active tectonic and volcanic area of the world. Most of the world's active volcanoes are in the Ring of Fire. Claiming that statistic is significant is either dishonest or ignorant of the planet's volcanism. Either way, right there you should dismiss the source. It's lying to you or it knows nothing about the subject it's reporting on. How is it a trustworthy source of news?

Google how active the Ring of Fire is and then maybe do the math and see how normal 34/40 is.

You can also Google the average number of erupting volcanoes each year. You'll find that it's not 35. Another lie or faulty statistic from your source.

Or you can examine the logic critically. Volcanoes don't erupt on yearly cycles. Counting their eruptions by year is insignificant. Volcanoes become active, go dormant and go extinct over hundreds of thousands of years. Some volcanoes in the Ring of Fire are erupting constantly. The number of erupting volcanoes won't reset to zero on January 1st. If tonight was New Years Eve 2015, tomorrow there would be 40 erupting volcanoes in 2016. You could post a warped statistic on here saying "it's only the first day of the year and we're already near our volcano quota! If this trend continues there will be 14600 erupting volcanoes this year!"

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
You can also Google the average number of erupting volcanoes each year. You'll find that it's not 35. Another lie or faulty statistic from your source.
The OP poster often has sketchy sources or he just makes things up on his own. Magicians pull rabbits out of hats, the OP poster pulls facts out of his azz.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
I was wondering when someone would blame the volcanoes erupting on climate change.
Mom, is that you? 30 miles long would be how much more heat than a 'sunspot'? Boy have I got some tundra for you, I means farmland of course.

I was wondering when someone would blame the climate change on volcanoes erupting.

Round up some grade 2 girls and throw them into the volcanoes. That'll appease the volcano gods.
Now is not the time to start acting like you are, . . . I don't know, . . . 8 perhaps.

34 out of 40 erupting volcanoes being in the Ring of Fire might seems like a startling statistic, but it's not. The Ring of Fire is the most active tectonic and volcanic area of the world. Most of the world's active volcanoes are in the Ring of Fire. Claiming that statistic is significant is either dishonest or ignorant of the planet's volcanism. Either way, right there you should dismiss the source. It's lying to you or it knows nothing about the subject it's reporting on. How is it a trustworthy source of news?

Or you can examine the logic critically. Volcanoes don't erupt on yearly cycles. Counting their eruptions by year is insignificant. Volcanoes become active, go dormant and go extinct over hundreds of thousands of years. Some volcanoes in the Ring of Fire are erupting constantly. The number of erupting volcanoes won't reset to zero on January 1st. If tonight was New Years Eve 2015, tomorrow there would be 40 erupting volcanoes in 2016. You could post a warped statistic on here saying "it's only the first day of the year and we're already near our volcano quota! If this trend continues there will be 14600 erupting volcanoes this year!"

There could be something gained just if the yearly number increases or decreases over the last year and you have a lot of other data to match it to the 'mini iceage' youtube series has some data that puts the warming and cooling as a cycle that does seem to fit a pattern, just a different length than your example of Jan 1. If we could count the number of volcanoes over that same period of time it might show a pattern that there are more volcanoes at the start of an ice-age than there are when one ends. The problem with that is you use google earth to look at the oceanic crust there is 40,000 miles of rifting that could also do what volcanoes do and there is no way to tell how active they are.
Dating the rock spreading in high detail would allow you to tell which areas spread faster or slower and that translated into heat into the water, the Siberian traps would be the on land example and it did change the weather on a global scale. Instead of air you are heating up 10 to100 cubic miles of water.

18:45 is the undersea location.