Volcano erupts in southern Chile, belching ash, smoke into sky

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Volcano erupts in southern Chile, belching ash, smoke into sky
Anthony Esposito, Reuters
First posted: Wednesday, April 22, 2015 08:47 PM EDT | Updated: Wednesday, April 22, 2015 09:28 PM EDT
SANTIAGO - Volcano Calbuco in southern Chile erupted for the first time in more than five decades on Wednesday, sending a thick plume of ash and smoke nearly 20 kilometers into the sky.
Chile's Onemi emergency office declared a red alert following the sudden eruption at around 1800 local time (2100 GMT), which occurred about 1,000 kilometers (625 miles) south of Santiago, the capital, near the tourist town of Puerto Varas.
As night fell, about 4,000 people had so far moved out of the area, an evacuation radius of 20 kilometers has been established and classes have been canceled in surrounding towns, authorities said.
President Michelle Bachelet is scheduled to travel to the affected area on Thursday.
There are no reports of deaths, missing persons or injuries, Interior Minister Rodrigo Penailillo said. He urged residents to evacuate and warned of possible lahars, a mix of water and rock fragments that flow down a volcano's slopes and river valleys.
Winds blowing northeast were pushing the column of ash and smoke toward Argentina.
"In this situation, with the eruption column so high, the main risk is that it collapses, falls due to gravity because of its own weight and causes a pyroclastic flow," Gabriel Orozco, a vulcanologist with Chile's geological and mining service, said on local TV.
A pyroclastic flow is a superheated current of gas and rock that can destroy nearly everything in its path and travel at speeds upwards of 200 to 300 kilometers per hour.
LATAM Airlines said it has canceled flights to and from neighboring Puerto Montt, the area's largest city, due to the presence of volcanic ash, which can potentially damage aircraft and make flying dangerous.
Trevor Moffat, who lives in Ensenada, some 10 km from the volcano, said he and his family fled when the volcano erupted. The last major eruption of the 2,003-meter-tall Volcano Calbuco was in 1961.
"It sounded like a big tractor trailer passing by the road, rattling and shaking, guttural rumbling. ... We left everything there, grabbed my kid, my dog, got in the car with my wife," Moffat said.
"All the neighbors were outside, a lot of young people crying. Armageddon type reaction," said Canada-born Moffat, who was driving to nearby Puerto Varas.
Television pictures showed a spectacular mushroom-shaped column billowing into the sky with occasional lighting bolts shooting through. The eruption was seen in towns at least 50 kilometers away.
"There are a lot of people out in the streets, many heading to the gas stations to fill up on gas," Derek Way, a resident of Puerto Varas, said.
"A friend told me to fill everything we have with water," Way added.
Chile, on the Pacific "Rim of Fire," has the second largest chain of volcanoes in the world after Indonesia, including around 500 that are potentially active.
In March, Volcano Villarrica, also in southern Chile, erupted, sending a plume of ash and lava high into the sky, but it quickly subsided.
Smoke and ash rise from the Calbuco volcano as seen from the city of Puerto Montt, April 22, 2015. The Calbuco volcano in southern Chile erupted for the first time in more than five decades on Wednesday, sending a thick plume of ash and smoke several kilometres into the sky. REUTERS/Rafael Arenas

Volcano erupts in southern Chile, belching ash, smoke into sky | World | News |

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Love it. Billions of tonnes of CO2 belched into the atmosphere by one tiny volcano on Earth Day.

waldo

House Member
Oct 19, 2009
Love it. Billions of tonnes of CO2 belched into the atmosphere by one tiny volcano on Earth Day.
The Irony!

hey small fries! Small potatoes! Billions Walter? :mrgreen: Volcanoes emit around 0.3 billion tonnes of CO2 per year... ~ 1% of anthropogenic sourced CO2 emissions. Try harder next time Walter!
no - the "good natural carbon" from volcanism isn't what's thrown the earth's carbon cycle out-of-sync... you know that right? But what did/continues to do it, hey? Sure you know... you can say it; sure you can! :mrgreen:

per the IPCC AR5 report:

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm

The Irony!

Volcanic versus anthropogenic CO2 emissions

Do the Earth’s volcanoes emit more CO2 than human activities? Research findings indicate that the answer to this frequently asked question is a clear and unequivocal, “No.” Human activities, responsible for a projected 35 billion metric tons (gigatons) of CO2 emissions in 2010 (Friedlingstein et al., 2010), release an amount of CO2 that dwarfs the annual CO2 emissions of all the world’s degassing subaerial and submarine volcanoes (Gerlach, 2011).
The published estimates of the global CO2 emission rate for all degassing subaerial (on land) and submarine volcanoes lie in a range from 0.13 gigaton to 0.44 gigaton per year (Gerlach, 1991; Varekamp et al., 1992; Allard, 1992; Sano and Williams, 1996; Marty and Tolstikhin, 1998). The preferred global estimates of the authors of these studies range from about 0.15 to 0.26 gigaton per year. The 35-gigaton projected anthropogenic CO2 emission for 2010 is about 80 to 270 times larger than the respective maximum and minimum annual global volcanic CO2 emission estimates. It is 135 times larger than the highest preferred global volcanic CO2 estimate of 0.26 gigaton per year (Marty and Tolstikhin, 1998).

Do some fukking research.

Source. BTW, I found this in two seconds. Even though it's a left wing source. United States Geological Survey. LOL.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Uh oh spaghetti-os! Missing from graphic 6.1 is the hydrothermal venting of carbon and a plethora of other gasses. 1,000,000 subsea vents (current estimates).

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Gosh... I wonder what things would look like if the powers that be included methane released from natural sources across the globe.

Do you think that the UN would offer up some cash for a 'study' on this?..... Yeah, you're right, probably not

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
hey small fries! Small potatoes! Billions Walter? :mrgreen: Volcanoes emit around 0.3 billion tonnes of CO2 per year... ~ 1% of anthropogenic sourced CO2 emissions. Try harder next time Walter!
no - the "good natural carbon" from volcanism isn't what's thrown the earth's carbon cycle out-of-sync... you know that right? But what did/continues to do it, hey? Sure you know... you can say it; sure you can! :mrgreen:

per the IPCC AR5 report:

Oh look the sam BS picture peckerhead posted in another thread. Think it gets more true by multiple posts?

waldo

House Member
Oct 19, 2009
Oh look the sam BS picture peckerhead posted in another thread. Think it gets more true by multiple posts?

no, it can't be... not another taxi drive-by! Ya see, peckerhead, the graphic applies in both circumstances. Ya sees, peckerhead, in each case, your denier brethren were over-playing their hands with volcano references. That graphic puts volcanism in perspective. Of course, as is your peckerhead way, you continue to put down your forever unsubstantiated statements/implications that the "IPCC has been caught lying"! And what do you repeatedly do when I challenge you to PUT UP? That's right, you runaway, runaway... right peckerhead! :mrgreen: Now as for the graphic in question here, you could actually make a related comment about it... or you can go with your drive-by peckerhead strengths! I wonder which way you'll choose, hey!

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004

We need to make volcanoes greener. A new Volcano Tax should do the trick. Residents of towns and cities should be heavily taxed if they've got a polluting carbon-producing volcano in their local vicinity. I'll inform the Green Party of England & Wales about it.

"Common sense green policies for a better, safer, cleaner, greener world for us and our young people and ethnic minorities"

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Countries that insist on having volcanos must purchase carbon credits first.

no, it can't be... not another taxi drive-by! Ya see, peckerhead, the graphic applies in both circumstances. Ya sees, peckerhead, in each case, your denier brethren were over-playing their hands with volcano references. That graphic puts volcanism in perspective. Of course, as is your peckerhead way, you continue to put down your forever unsubstantiated statements/implications that the "IPCC has been caught lying"! And what do you repeatedly do when I challenge you to PUT UP? That's right, you runaway, runaway... right peckerhead! :mrgreen: Now as for the graphic in question here, you could actually make a related comment about it... or you can go with your drive-by peckerhead strengths! I wonder which way you'll choose, hey!

Seems to me that you are the one coming up with graphs and statements from discredited sources. As has been proven many times.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
It comes to something when the lives of all those people living around the volcano are forgotten about and all people are talking about is the "damage" that an entirely natural geological phenomenon might cause to the atmosphere.

Another sign that we in the Western world today have gone completely stark raving mad and have completely and utterly taken leave of our senses.

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
Gosh... I wonder what things would look like if the powers that be included methane released from natural sources across the globe.

Do you think that the UN would offer up some cash for a 'study' on this?..... Yeah, you're right, probably not

I admire your sarcasm.
You should dig up some charts to show whatever it is you're talking about.

Uh oh spaghetti-os! Missing from graphic 6.1 is the hydrothermal venting of carbon and a plethora of other gasses. 1,000,000 subsea vents (current estimates).

So it's more than that article states.
So we should blindly add to it ourselves?
I'm not seeing the logic.

waldo

House Member
Oct 19, 2009
We need to make volcanoes greener. A new Volcano Tax should do the trick. Residents of towns and cities should be heavily taxed if they've got a polluting carbon-producing volcano in their local vicinity. I'll inform the Green Party of England & Wales about it.

"Common sense green policies for a better, safer, cleaner, greener world for us and our young people and ethnic minorities"
Countries that insist on having volcanos must purchase carbon credits first.

Seems to me that you are the one coming up with graphs and statements from discredited sources. As has been proven many times.
It comes to something when the lives of all those people living around the volcano are forgotten about and all people are talking about is the "damage" that an entirely natural geological phenomenon might cause to the atmosphere.

Another sign that we in the Western world today have gone completely stark raving mad and have completely and utterly taken leave of our senses.

:mrgreen: you chuckleHeads are doing a bang-up job in showcasing your denial! Again, volcanoes emit around 0.3 billion tonnes of CO2 per year... ~ 1% of anthropogenic sourced CO2 emissions. Guys, guys... try sumthin else!

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
:mrgreen: you chuckleHeads are doing a bang-up job in showcasing your denial! Again, volcanoes emit around 0.3 billion tonnes of CO2 per year... ~ 1% of anthropogenic sourced CO2 emissions. Guys, guys... try sumthin else!

Terrestrial volcanoes but dismissing subsea.

waldo

House Member
Oct 19, 2009
Terrestrial volcanoes but dismissing subsea.

you sure drop a lot of one-liner references to 'hydro-thermal venting'... at some point are you willing to go beyond your one-liner nothing references and actually put forward the extent/impact you imply exists? What are you waiting for?

If a picture is worth a thousand words, then this should be worth 10,000 charts

easy, peasy! :mrgreen:

waldo

House Member
Oct 19, 2009
Are you saying there aren't any?

dance to this post... the one you conveniently ignored:
you sure drop a lot of one-liner references to 'hydro-thermal venting'... at some point are you willing to go beyond your one-liner nothing references and actually put forward the extent/impact you imply exists? What are you waiting for?
dance, dancingMan! Dance. You sure have trouble bringing your perpetual one-liners to a/any meaningful level. Don't you?