First Humans Chosen for Mission to Mars

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
good for them

One hundred people from around the world have been shortlisted for a mission to Mars.

Fifty men and fifty women are all hoping to become the first human beings to walk on the red planet.

They now face a series of tests to see how well they work under pressure, with part of the training to take place within a simulated Martian environment.

The Mars One Project plans to set up a permanent human settlement on the planet by 2024.

Dutch entrepreneur Bas Lansdorp, co-founder of Mars One said: “These aspiring Martians will provide the world with a glimpse into who the modern day explorers will be”.

Despite the risks which include suffocation, starvation and dehydration, more than 200,000 people on planet Earth applied to become volunteers for the colonisation project.

The greatest risk, according to Igore Mitrofanov from the Space Research Institute at the Russian Academy of Sciences, is the huge amounts of radiation that the volunteers be exposed to.

more

Up, Up and Away! First Humans Chosen for Mission to Mars / Sputnik International

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Welcome to New Australia.
If that habitat is bear-proof I'll take 100 for a new development project I have in mind

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
With the rover leaving tracks in a frozen world that would mean the dust would have to be at 0% moisture, same as foot-prints on the moon. I can understand mars having signs of wind and dust creating patterns using protruding rocks. Why doesn't the moon have markers like that or have any dust on top of the rocks there, they are all dustless in the photos I've seen.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
With the rover leaving tracks in a frozen world that would mean the dust would have to be at 0% moisture, same as foot-prints on the moon. I can understand mars having signs of wind and dust creating patterns using protruding rocks. Why doesn't the moon have markers like that or have any dust on top of the rocks there, they are all dustless in the photos I've seen.

No atmosphere or weather on the moon.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
No atmosphere or weather on the moon.
True, however impacts would need neither to have a dust cloud created with an impact and an impact would give the dust a direction to travel and the traveling would leave 'wind patterns of drifting' around the bases of the rocks, possibly from several directions and the dust would have settled on the rocks from above and if it fell off 'over time' there would be a pile of fine material at the base of the rock.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
True, however impacts would need neither to have a dust cloud created with an impact and an impact would give the dust a direction to travel and the traveling would leave 'wind patterns of drifting' around the bases of the rocks, possibly from several directions and the dust would have settled on the rocks from above and if it fell off 'over time' there would be a pile of fine material at the base of the rock.

You know, it does look like there is dust on the rock in the pick you posted.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Canada has oodles of swamp land that you could sink this in and the frost never gets under the moss if no traffic is on it. No heating/cooling bills, pretty much burglar proof, extreme weather resistant. Mirrors and fiber optics would solve the lighting and the document I saw promoted that kind of light as being tomato growing quality and all it was was a collector of many small mirrors and the equal to one cable an inch thick.
A suntan was also possible so the mirror material would have had to be selective. Having a small dish and some fiber optics would be a great way to light a container or underground place without hurting the structure.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
You know, it does look like there is dust on the rock in the pick you posted.
At 7 o'clock there is some course powder, I doubt he would have left a foot-print in it. The moon is supposed to be covered by a very fine dust, that isn't the case the the upper portions as each little crevice is free of all dust.

I might even want to see if this resembled a sink-hole instead of a blast crater. That would solve some of the lack of dust issue that I seem to be having with the official photos. The center suggests it was an volcano at one time and then it sank like yellowstone but without the weathering to cover the original hole once things stopped moving. The near side of the moon should have had lava outflows as the liquid material was trying to join earth, that would create a 'vacuum on the far side' and that is heavily pitted and some of them might be sink holes rather than impact marks alone as that would make for one dusty moon.

As it is I think the moon would be a great place to try our extreme bots

Get sent there after you die on this planet, leave a note explaining what went wrong or just say, 'Fix as required'

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
good for them

One hundred people from around the world have been shortlisted for a mission to Mars.

Fifty men and fifty women are all hoping to become the first human beings to walk on the red planet.

They now face a series of tests to see how well they work under pressure, with part of the training to take place within a simulated Martian environment.

The Mars One Project plans to set up a permanent human settlement on the planet by 2024.

Dutch entrepreneur Bas Lansdorp, co-founder of Mars One said: “These aspiring Martians will provide the world with a glimpse into who the modern day explorers will be”.

Despite the risks which include suffocation, starvation and dehydration, more than 200,000 people on planet Earth applied to become volunteers for the colonisation project.

The greatest risk, according to Igore Mitrofanov from the Space Research Institute at the Russian Academy of Sciences, is the huge amounts of radiation that the volunteers be exposed to.

more

Up, Up and Away! First Humans Chosen for Mission to Mars / Sputnik International

Great idea for disposing of criminals!