Dogs can distinguish happy and sad faces: Study

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Dogs can distinguish happy and sad faces: Study
QMI Agency
First posted: Friday, February 13, 2015 12:14 PM EST | Updated: Friday, February 13, 2015 12:22 PM EST
Dogs can tell whether humans are happy or angry, a new study suggests.
Scientists from the aptly named clever dog lab at the Messerli Research Institute in Vienna, Austria, trained dogs to associate the pictures of happy or angry faces with a reward.
In another test, researchers showed the dogs pictures from a different batch of men's and women's faces, suggesting the animals could tell the difference between emotions.
Researchers showed 20 dogs images of either the upper half or the lower half of the faces of happy or angry people.
Half the dogs were given a treat when they touched an angry face, while the other group were rewarded for touching happy faces.
The dogs responded to the happy faces better than the sad ones, the study says.
"It seems that dogs dislike approaching angry faces," study director Ludwig Huber told Science Daily.
More than half of the dogs learned the task very well.
"We believe that dogs draw on their memory during this exercise. They recognize a facial expression which they have already stored," co-author Corsin Muller said, Science Daily reported.
"We suspect that dogs that have no experience with people would perform worse or could not solve the task at all."
The study was published in the journal Current Biology.
Dogs can distinguish happy and sad faces: Study | World | News | Toronto Sun

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
woof

I could have told those idiots that when I was a kid instead of wasting millions of dollars

they also can read other emotions

they have a range of emotions

they can love
they can help
they can be irritable
but mostly they just love

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
I thought that was already well known.

Not until the experts have a well funded study. Like wolves fishing. I thought it was common knowledge but apparently it was just an urban myth until some expert got a picture. THEN it was fact.

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars
Sliced my left index finger with a utility knife at work one day. To this day it's still numb must have severed a nerve. When it happened I wrapped it up with a rag and taped it. Went to the office to sit down as I was kinda light headed and the owners German Shepard , an older dog by the name of Arrow who usually just lied on the floor of the office and slept, got up, put his nose close to my left hand and started whimpering. The hand was wrapped up so I'm not sure how he knew I was injured but, somehow he knew and was feeling empathy for me. Maybe he smelled the blood I don't know. Arrow has since passed away but I'll always remember that.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Sliced my left index finger with a utility knife at work one day. To this day it's still numb must have severed a nerve. When it happened I wrapped it up with a rag and taped it. Went to the office to sit down as I was kinda light headed and the owners German Shepard , an older dog by the name of Arrow who usually just lied on the floor of the office and slept, got up, put his nose close to my left hand and started whimpering. The hand was wrapped up so I'm not sure how he knew I was injured but, somehow he knew and was feeling empathy for me. Maybe he smelled the blood I don't know. Arrow has since passed away but I'll always remember that.
sure he smelled the blood but he still could process that it meant you were leaking your life fluid and he knew that was not good and he felt bad for you

that is indicative of many things such as ability to process and conclude and express...pretty smart

I knew people incapable of that and they are allowed to reproduce. ;-)