Atoms can be in two places at the same time

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
Hopefully if you've bothered to click this thread, you'll already have same vague idea that this is true. Atoms, according to quantum mechanical theory, can be in two places at once.

Article, science daily

This is the first evidence which shows clearly that it cannot be true that the atoms can't do this. There has been proof for decades that smaller objects such as photons and electrons can be in more than one place at a time but this experiment shows that when a caesium atom is pulled in two opposite directions it can be indirectly inferred to NOT be in just one of the possible destination points.

What fascinates me is that this is evidence which suggests that even real life, large objects obey quantum mechanics and in some way it might be possible, for example, for a football to be in two places at once.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
"Just look at our billing records."

(sharp intake of breath)

I can be in many places at once, all I need to do is have people start thinking about me for some reason, right now this post is looking like a murky whirlpool. It doesn't matter if I can't move matter.

The same speck of time can't be in two places at the same time. A return to a place already visited might give the illusion of being there 'all the time' when the other slices are just not visible. Looking at a clock to verify how long you were asleep is a reaction to 'lost time' when really the recorder was turned off for some reason. Nightmares would be a good reason, mysterious scenes that never have resolutions. One thing it will never do is come to a complete and utter stop. (and have expectations to starting up again without getting a push)

I'm back, . . . with a question, 'did they really have to do the cat in to get a conclusion?'

Where does the propulsion come from to get two directions happening from something that already exists only in a singular direction?

Depending where you are a football can score and miss if you are inline with the two posts but to the far side so you can only tell for sure it wasn't on this side of both posts, you can't tell about the 2nd post other than knowing it has to be one side or the other.

I can add or subtract the same number in any formula, if I do both at the same time I'm just wasting pencil-lead and erasers

Last edited:

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Hopefully if you've bothered to click this thread, you'll already have same vague idea that this is true. Atoms, according to quantum mechanical theory, can be in two places at once.

Article, science daily

This is the first evidence which shows clearly that it cannot be true that the atoms can't do this. There has been proof for decades that smaller objects such as photons and electrons can be in more than one place at a time but this experiment shows that when a caesium atom is pulled in two opposite directions it can be indirectly inferred to NOT be in just one of the possible destination points.

What fascinates me is that this is evidence which suggests that even real life, large objects obey quantum mechanics and in some way it might be possible, for example, for a football to be in two places at once.

"Atoms can be in two places at the same time"

Very interesting stuff. I have problems with it though. Very hard to understand.
1/a "at once" time is distance and angle so the atom has to be duplicated and the new place must be duplicated as well
1/b "at once" only happens at one time and one place, by def
1/42 the theory defies logic and reason because the atom in question is still in the same position as it's twin, and if it aint then it aint the same atom and if it is then it aint the same time or place

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Rational mind cannot believe in magic. Intuitive mind can. People have been seen in two different places at the same time. Rational mind cannot process that. Rational mind is ego based, intuitive mind is heart/soul based. Rational mind cannot process that either.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
"This is not yet a proof that quantum mechanics hold for large objects," cautions Alberti. "The next step is to separate the Caesium atom's two positions by several millimetres. Should we still find the superposition in our experiment, the macro-realistic theory would suffer another setback."

from the OP, the math was not proved, they need another hundred million for a breakthrough and a chance at the Nobel Cup.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
DB, that transition from once changing from singular to another form is going to set in motion that should not be in motion if reality is supposed to be part of the show. Take that factor out and 'happy trails to you', Go forth and build road as there are multitudes to follow.

Rational mind cannot believe in magic. Intuitive mind can. People have been seen in two different places at the same time. Rational mind cannot process that. Rational mind is ego based, intuitive mind is heart/soul based. Rational mind cannot process that either.
The universe doesn't use brakes, yet here we are. How many times in a day do you have to do something to avoid a crash?

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
I think the point of the article is not that the object is duplicated, but simply has a state of position which is partially here and partially there.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
I 've been thinking about this and I believe that what is being observed is the shadow of the atom cast axially by the opposing attractions. Are they confusing space displacing itself geometrically in anticipation of an vibrating material object. Depending on the strengh of the simultaneous attracting forces. I think it might be possible to have more than two atoms seem to occupy the same space, which of course is the same time.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
I 've been thinking . . .
Was that once the first time or once on the 2nd try? Does that make Murphy's law solvable? (once and twice for all time?)

I will reply to the rest of your post once I have read it once or twice, . . but not both, . . . clear?? Around here the corner sign is after the curve, more of a ball that way, right about where travelers say WTF was that?

Issues Mountain off to the left is a skating run, interested? (half the fun if they don't struggle)

Last edited:

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006

The physical body and the spiritual body are not the same body though. One is matter and one is mind.

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
i mean the groups of heptillions of atoms we call humans only because the atoms are so perfectly arranged that they result in a consciousness and, in some cases, rather attractive breasts, for example