A trip to the Canadian oil sands, a modern wonder of the world.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
a little something for the yurt-dwelling tender types:

Sheila Gunn Reid ‏@SheilaGunnReid

"..people I meet in northern Canada are selling what the world wants. Ultimately, that is what their opponents hate"

Americans, representatives from Alberta’s government tell us in a tedious panel session at a local hotel, are always “amazed” by how heavily regulated Canadian oil-and-gas production is. These soft-spoken, almost dull overseers of the development confirm my suspicion that if this is a “gold rush,” it’s a quiet one. “The government doesn’t produce oil, but it does own the lease and licenses,” Christopher J. Holly of Alberta’s department of energy explains to us. “Our approach is to monitor, regulate, and enforce.” A few PowerPoint slides later and the message is clear: This is no capitalist dystopia in which money-hungry cowboys can dig up the land with impunity. It takes an average of five years just to get a permit. Moreover, Holly explains, there is an inherent win-win with this sort of production: “If producers can reduce greenhouse gases by using less steam at their plants — and steam is expensive to generate, remember — then they will increase their profits.”

The government employees have an unfortunate tendency to couch their discussions of the oil sands in politically correct nonsense jargon. The oil companies are somewhat guilty of this too, being especially prone to smug talk of “giving back to the community.” I loathe this conceit. Companies that follow the rules and sell great products that people want to buy should not have to promise to “give back” to society as if they were convicted criminals who had done something wrong and must atone for their crimes.

Fossil fuels are the foundation of the modern economy. They give us heat, light, food, technology, and transportation. They make possible travel, education, and medicine, among an endless parade of things that even their discontents cannot live without. As George Orwell noted of coal in 1937, carbon is inextricably linked with our prosperity — the “caryatid upon whose shoulders nearly everything that is not grimy is supported.” In our search for supplies, there is of course a need for some regulation and for self-awareness. But there is no need whatsoever for the companies that make our lifestyles possible to prostrate themselves in front of us apologetically.

The people I meet in northern Canada are selling what the world wants. Ultimately, that is what their opponents hate. A common complaint of the anti-Keystone brigade is that oil-sands petroleum requires between 5 and 15 percent more carbon emissions to generate than the average crude-oil equivalent. (This number obsesses the television crew that is following us around.) Royal Dutch Shell questions those numbers, and points out that, besides, it has a plan to reduce emissions by 1 million tons per year, “equivalent to taking 175,000 cars off the road.” This is a “very real project,” say the government regulators in our meeting. “An impressive project.”

The project is well and good — and, within reason, it is to be applauded. But whom do these marginal improvements convince? People who hate oil hate oil. They don’t want more oil in the world; instead, they desire to replace oil with the mythical energy sources of their choice or, if that is not possible, they want to lower total global energy consumption — the poor be damned. Could things be better? Yes. Are there costs to maintaining civilization? Yes. But we could also stop buying oil from sadistic medieval regimes run by family crime syndicates. I’d take a 15 percent increase in carbon emissions in exchange for North American energy independence. So would the Canadians I meet in the wilds. So, the polls show, would most Americans. One day soon, I hope, so will the person sitting in the White House.

Whence Keystone Comes | National Review Online

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Pachamama Grande weeps for the idealstic Environmental Scientists whose hard work goes ignored and unrewarded by those who do nothing but consume and impede those making an honest effort. Good people doing good work is a sin based on who they work for.

Now that is a crime against the environment if ever there was one.

waldo

House Member
Oct 19, 2009
a little something for the yurt-dwelling tender types:
Sheila Gunn Reid ‏@SheilaGunnReid

I wish protesters had the same commitment to site reclamation

Syncrude reclamation in process. Plans and finances for reclamation have to be in place before mining can start.

shill Locutus baby, shill!

and unless forced to do so, industry would have done little more than it has todate! Of course, that piddly-assed level of actual reclamation has absolutely nothing to do with the practical scaled reclamation of toxic tailings ponds... that area currently ~180 sq. km in size... that area compromised of a dozen+ ponds surrounded by "retaining barriers... dam & dyke systems" reaching 300 ft into the air. That area with no practical concrete plans on what to do with the toxic contents... that area with some contemplation to manage reclamation of tailings ponds via proposed unproven design concept solutions to pump toxic tailings into old abandoned mine pits, capping them with fresh water.

for perspective, per the Alberta Government as of Dec 31, 2012: just 104 hectares certified reclaimed

skookumchuck

Council Member
Jan 19, 2012
Van Isle
Too bad flossie cannot go back with me to the oil sands plant in summer 1966. One day we heard that a cat had opened the first road into Ft. McKay, aka Ft. Muhki, as in kiyi. We got in my buds old Buick and drove over there, astonishing a number of kids who had never been out of that village in their lives. There was a river through the tiny community with the old Hudsons Bay trading post, a river full of Pickeral (Walleye) that we enjoyed fishing for. We even decided one day to go swimming in the river along with the local kids, 10 minutes later we were well marked with oil that had come out of the banks and was floating down the river in chunks due to a heavy rainstorm earlier that day. One of the adults from the village said we should not imitate the kids, don't swim after a storm. That was their drinking water also. Makes one wonder how the pollution only showed up after the plants got going, but heck, you can con the youth and citiots real easy.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Heavy metals in Athabasca River comparable to levels in bottled water

Preliminary results from a University of Alberta study of the Athabasca River shows levels of heavy metal comparable to bottled water and some of the remotest bodies of water in Algonquin Park.

World-renowned soil and water scientist William Shotyk and his research team in the Faculty of Agricultural, Life and Environmental Sciences sampled water from 12 locations along a 125-kilometre stretch of the Athabasca River starting at Fort McMurray and heading downstream. The team analyzed the water, looking for heavy metal contamination. They then compared their results with those from other studies they had done in Coldspring Lake, the most remote lake in the 7,600-square kilometre Algonquin Park, and in the Nipissing River, where it travels across Algonquin Park.

Shotyk and his team found that the Athabasca River water averaged 25 parts per trillion (PPT) of lead, versus 40 PPT in Coldspring Lake and 180 PPT in the Nipissing River. The amount of lead in the Athabasca River also compares comfortably with levels found in bottled water.

more

Heavy metals in Athabasca River comparable to levels in bottled water