5 things you need to know about the Rosetta landing

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
5 things you need to know about the Rosetta landing
HARRISON RUESS, QMI Agency
First posted: Tuesday, November 11, 2014 12:00 AM EST
Comets have long stirred imagination and wonder. Now, humanity is poised to touch one.
On Wednesday morning, the European Space Agency's Rosetta spacecraft is set to land a robot on the face of a comet. It is one of the most ambitious and complicated missions ever attempted.
Here are five things you need to know about the mission.
Scroll down further for live coverage of the landing.
5 things you need to know about the Rosetta landing | World | News | Toronto Sun

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
How big is #Rosetta's comet? For example, vs. Los Angeles.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
The ice picks and the drills did not work as planned, probably because it a solid rock and not a gravel spotted ice ball. Spectacular shooting though on a very hard shot. I hope the lander is still there when Rosetta revolves around.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
That would have happened already if that was the case.

Hey man, tell me that big black blob above the city isn't a giant sooty Al-print.

Well, you hafta squint a bit like with the samsquanch tracks but you get my drift.

The similarities are quite striking.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Here's hard to believe the sheer size of 67P. When I think of a comet I think of it as maybe a chunk of something the size of a car or maybe a house. But 67P is huge, and is hurtling through space at 40,000mph. The Philae lander is about the size of a fridge.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
This is one of an estimated trillion comets in this solar system. Wow. What an accomplishment. I am looking forward to discovering more about the origins of life as the comet is studied and analyzed.

What will you discover if comets are not primordial leftovers? Among the electric universe proponents these big rocks are big rock and have nothing to do with the early instants of the universe. There are conflicting reports about the failure of the ice spikes to fix the lander to the comets surface, some say the spikes failed to deploy others say the spikes simply were not designed to pierce solid rock, so the lander bounced twice before it settled on it's side staring at a rock face where it is supposed it will not recieve sufficient sun to charge its batteries. After the initial charge of 60 hours is depleted the lander could expire. Nevertheless the operation is a success, for engineers if not for the doltish cosmologists. They're not the origin of water either.