Ilegal to kill racoons in B.C.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
What can be done about racoons? I've built a trap for rhe damn pests. It doesn't hurt them but what do I do with the racoons once I've caught them? My neighbor tells me I can take them up to a mile away and turn them loose. Sounds like a useless exercise....:roll:

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com

Yeah, ya, this will be an interesting thread..

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005

Yeah, ya, this will be an interesting thread..
A few years ago our cat came in bleeding from a squabble with racoons. My neighbor who watched the fight tells me our cat won. The next morning we found racoon fur all over the place.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
trap them in a suitable size live trap. (sardines is good bate)....

Once they're in the trap, shoot them in the head (twixt the eyes if possible)

Hie thee to some bushes after dark, or the waterfront, and dispose of them.

.22 short-mushrooms make little noise.

Don't tell anyone.

Big Tony says it works for other pests also.

just sayin

youse is your own konscience.

eh

skookumchuck

Council Member
Jan 19, 2012
Van Isle
What can be done about racoons? I've built a trap for rhe damn pests. It doesn't hurt them but what do I do with the racoons once I've caught them? My neighbor tells me I can take them up to a mile away and turn them loose. Sounds like a useless exercise....:roll:

My place shows the results of city peeps trapping the damn things and releasing them in the country where we already have way too many. Who says it is illegal to kill them in BC?

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Juan!! You got one TOUGH cat!!!

As for your raccoon problem, ya know, your yard is a dangerous place....it would be a shame if one a them cages should happen to fall into a big vat of water............especially with a raccoon in it.

The law is an ***.

Zipperfish

House Member
Apr 12, 2013
Vancouver
trap them in a suitable size live trap. (sardines is good bate)....

Once they're in the trap, shoot them in the head (twixt the eyes if possible)

Hie thee to some bushes after dark, or the waterfront, and dispose of them.

.22 short-mushrooms make little noise.

Don't tell anyone.

Big Tony says it works for other pests also.

just sayin

youse is your own konscience.

eh

Do NOT use a pellet gun. I had a friend that tried that (in city limits, can't discharge a firearm). He ended up building a a drowning machine. I got coons in my front yard but they ain't bothered me enough for me to do anything about them yet. My dog trees them if they get too bold.

bill barilko

Senate Member
Mar 4, 2009
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
...what do I do with the racoons once I've caught them? My neighbor tells me I can take them up to a mile away and turn them loose.

More like 10 miles.

Anyway that's what they tell people here in the city-take them waythehellandgone into the mountains and let 'em go.

OTOH an associate of mine in Sooke uses a large piece of tarp, a hose and his truck exhaust to deal with a similar issue.

30+ carcasses later there is no longer an issue.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
BC SPCA: Raccoons
Got raccoons? How to encourage them to move along
First, consider the time of year as babies may be in dens starting as early as March. The best time to address resident raccoon problems is before March or after August as the potential to separate a mother from its young is too high. Use mild harassment techniques that are not harmful to the raccoons or their babies. To start, ensure that all potential food sources are eliminated and determine where they may be residing on your property.

Do-it-yourself exclusion techniques are humane and inexpensive, but may take a little patience:

Place a flashlight or work light in the den site

Play a radio (with a talk radio station) near the den site

Place ammonia-soaked rags in a plastic container, tape-shut the lid and punch enough holes in the lid so the smell permeates. Place one or more containers in the den or at the entry points if inside is not accessible. Refill the ammonia as needed every couple days if effect is not working.

In most cases such techniques disturb the raccoons enough that they will want to move out and mothers will even take their babies, one-by-one, to a back-up den site. But you must give them sufficient time to move their young and double check the den before closing up the site.

To prevent raccoons from climbing fruit trees, wrap two-foot-wide sheet metal around the truck of trees at two feet above the ground and trim branches that are providing other access, such as from rooftops or fences.

Raccoons will frequently roll up new garden sod while looking for bugs. Use non-toxic natural Diatomaceous Earth on your lawn to ensure there are no bugs to be found. If a raccoon is raiding your pond, try placing PCV tubes at least 2 ft in length in your pond so the fish can hide inside. Ponds are free buffets for raccoons, herons and other wildlife and none of them know how much you spent on your exotic fish! Nets are dangerous and electrical fences can be harmful. Understand that the wildlife only see your fish as an easy meal so challenge yourself to outsmart them!

No luck on your own? Call the experts – contact a nuisance wildlife management company that uses only exclusion practices and does not trap!

Below is probably not important to this crowd...sounds like some here enjoy killing wildlife. But in case...
Trapping is not the solution
Trapping is inhumane, ineffective and restricted by regional wildlife regulations. Even if you use a live trap, relocating a raccoon to another location is usually a death-sentence. The raccoon will be in danger because it is likely now in the territory of another raccoon as they are widely distributed. A large percentage of wildlife that is removed from the city generally does not survive and just moves the problem to someone else's backyard. Raccoons can be injured in traps and even if they were removed, it will only be a matter of time before another raccoon moves in to claim the existing food source and shelter. Poisoning is also inhumane and could also kill other wild animals or pets.

We want to achieve a raccoon population balance within the urban environment based on available natural food supply. In order to do this we need to keep the food supply restricted by cleaning up garbage, and preventing access to pet food. We can learn to live with raccoons by respecting that they are wild animals and treating them as such.

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
In Ontario it is illegal to relocate wildlife. You need to kill them or get them to move on.
We had one get in our attic so we got a guy to install 50 screws in the sofit area and also spike mesh over top of that. No more 'coon problem.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Juan!! You got one TOUGH cat!!!

As for your raccoon problem, ya know, your yard is a dangerous place....it would be a shame if one a them cages should happen to fall into a big vat of water............especially with a raccoon in it.

The law is an ***.

If ever there was a cat with an attitude this is the one. She's not a big cat but when we got her I was afraid of getting too attatched to her because had no fear of even the biggest German Shepherd or Rottwieler (sp)in the neighborhood,

If ever there was a cat with an attitude this is the one. She's not a big cat but when we got her I was afraid of getting too attatched to her because had no fear of even the biggest German Shepherd or Rottwieler (sp)in the neighborhood,

I talked to the B.C. Wildlife guy and t appears I can kill racoons as long as there is evidence of damage. Down the street a ways, a neighbor's cat was so badly mauled by racoons that it had to be put down. It's not as if racoons were an endangered species