Government Memo Criticized Top Biologist For Comments On Oilsands

Grievous

Time Out
Jul 28, 2014
Whitby

One of Canada’s top biologists says he will not stop talking to the media after a government memo accused him of bias and speaking out of turn about the environmental impact of Alberta’s oilsands.
Queen’s University professor John Smol said Monday he was shocked and outraged to learn earlier this month of an internal Natural Resources Canada memo criticizing him over comments he made to reporters about a study on lakes near the oilsands.
“They cannot stop me from talking about research done in my lab,” Smol told Huffington Post Canada.
The Canada Research Chair in Environmental Change only learned about the complaint after being contacted by the political news website Blacklocks.ca, which was first to report on the memo, made public through an access to information request.
The study, jointly conducted by Smol’s lab and Environment Canada, found that levels of hazardous polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons in six regional lakes ranged from 2.5 to 23 times greater than they were before oilsands development. The study was published in January 2013 in the Journal of the National Academy of Sciences.
“I’m allowed to talk about my science, and everything I said was pre-read by my Environment Canada colleagues,” he said.
The memo to the Natural Resources minister was signed by deputy minister Serge Dupont, who was appointed to a post at the International Monetary Fund in Washington earlier this summer.
It said the study received “significant media coverage” partly due to Queen’s University’s provision of an advance copy to media outlets and a technical briefing by Smol — both of which are standard practice and follow the procedures used for publication in major journals, Smol noted

More here....

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Firing scientists and putting a gag order on them. Just about everything that peckerhead has done has undermined our freedoms and civil rights. But keep on looking at what is going on through rose coloured glasses.

Grievous

Time Out
Jul 28, 2014
Whitby
I'd like to know why our government muzzles science.

They are doing a good job of getting rid of them so it won't be problem for much longer.

We will have private sector employed scientists telling us all the truth......of the corporate and social agenda.

Wonder how long it will be before creationism creeps into Canada or how suddenly we will learn of how safe asbestos is?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Firing scientists and putting a gag order on them. Just about everything that peckerhead has done has undermined our freedoms and civil rights. But keep on looking at what is going on through rose coloured glasses.
There has always been disclosure limits. Nothing change other than there being consequences of disclosing information. Is there something wrong with consequences for breaking a contract?

Grievous

Time Out
Jul 28, 2014
Whitby
There has always been disclosure limits. Nothing change other than there being consequences of disclosing information. Is there something wrong with consequences for breaking a contract?

Show me the contracts and I will comment.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Canada’s federal scientists used to be encouraged to openly discuss their work with the media and public. That changed under the Harper government about five years ago when media policies were introduced to tightly control access to scientists.

More: LET CANADA’S SCIENTISTS SPEAK | Canadian Science Writers' Association
That is what happens when our PM is just a puppet to his corporate masters. Expect more under any new government that replaces Harpo. Democracy is a fallacy of biblical proportions.

Grievous

Time Out
Jul 28, 2014
Whitby
That is what happens when our PM is just a puppet to his corporate masters. Expect more under any new government that replaces Harpo. Democracy is a fallacy of biblical proportions.

Like how many pretend about this great divide between republicans and democrats.

They are lobbied successfully by the same people.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003

It's not that democracy is a fallacy. IT's that our current system of democracy is a fallacy.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit

Read!

Non-Disclosure Agreement

I, ___________ , recognize that in the course of my work as an employee or subcontractor of ___________ , I may be given access to information by or on behalf of Canada in connection with the Work, pursuant to Contract Serial No. _______ between Her Majesty the Queen in right of Canada, represented by the Minister of Public Works and Government Services and ________ , including any information that is confidential or proprietary to third parties, and information conceived, developed or produced by the Contractor as part of the Work. For the purposes of this agreement, information includes but not limited to: any documents, instructions, guidelines, data, material, advice or any other information whether received orally, in printed form, recorded electronically, or otherwise and whether or not labeled as proprietary or sensitive, that is disclosed to a person or that a person becomes aware of during the performance of the Contract.

I agree that I will not reproduce, copy, use, divulge, release or disclose, in whole or in part, in whatever way or form any information described above to any person other than a person employed by Canada on a need to know basis. I undertake to safeguard the same and take all necessary and appropriate measures, including those set out in any written or oral instructions issued by Canada, to prevent the disclosure of or access to such information in contravention of this agreement

I also acknowledge that any information provided to the Contractor by or on behalf of Canada must be used solely for the purpose of the Contract and must remain the property of Canada or a third party, as the case may be.

I agree that the obligation of this agreement will survive the completion of the Contract Serial No.: _________________

Signature

Date