India to plant 2 BILLION trees, creating jobs for 300,000 youths

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
India's Rural Development Ministry has decided to try to tackle two problems at the same time: Youth unemployment and bad air quality. It has unveiled a plan to hire youths - potentially up to 300,000 - to plant 2 billion trees along the country's highways.

“The length of National Highways in the country is one lakh kilometer [about 62,137 miles]. I have asked officials to come out with a plan to plant 200 crore [2 billion] trees along these stretches which in turn would create jobs for the unemployed on the one hand and protect the environment on the other,” said Shipping and Rural Development Minister Nitin Jairam Gadkari.

Not only would this help provide jobs to a segment of the population that needs them and make the country more beautiful, but trees are also great at improving air quality. India tends to have big problems with that, as does much of Asia and the Middle-East:

A recent study shows that tree leaves can capture a substantial amount of particulate pollution. The research was conducted in the UK; The scientists started by measuring how much air pollution go into a certain number of houses in Lancaster using dust monitoring devices and by swiping surfaces and then analyzing what was collected with magnetic remanence, a technique that provides information on concentrations of iron-bearing particles.

India to plant 2 BILLION trees along its highways, creating jobs for 300,000 youths : TreeHugger

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
Good to see government take action to reduce unemployment and build up the infrastructure. They (like FDR) have obviously read Alexander Hamilton's Report On Manufacturer's and learned that this is the proper role of government.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
I did a quick Google search and found that FDR had 3 billion trees planted during the New Deal. This created jobs, added much vitality to society, and beautified many cities. So many of them are still around today. Hopefully, India will enjoy this same success.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Um, seeds.

See when a daddy tree and mommy tree love each other very much.......

LOL :D

(sorry, couldn't help it.)

I presume they are planning to grow them like everyone else does.

It sounds like the bigger job would be coming up with 2 billion seedlings to plant. On the other hand the shovel industry will get a boost to provide the tools for those 300,000 youths who will be planting them.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
It sounds like the bigger job would be coming up with 2 billion seedlings to plant. On the other hand the shovel industry will get a boost to provide the tools for those 300,000 youths who will be planting them.

That could be part of the whole project too, the article isn't really all that great with the details. I mean, this certainly isn't something that's going to be done overnight.