Fracking Knowledge Base

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007

Joan Crockatt MP ‏@Crockatteer

These are the dangerous chemicals used in hydraulic fracking.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
STUDY: Leaky wells, Not Fracking, Taint water

WASHINGTON (AP) -- A new study says that the drilling procedure called fracking didn't cause much-publicized cases of tainted water, blaming contamination on leaky natural gas wells instead.

The study finds that eight hydraulically fractured wells in Pennsylvania and Texas leaked gas because the piping and cement seals in the wells themselves weren't working properly.

The process of pumping highly pressurized chemicals and water underground to get valuable natural gas trapped in shale has become highly charged as contamination complaints initially surged.

Ohio State University geochemist Thomas Darrah and colleagues used certain elements to trace where the leaks came from. He said finding them in the wells rather than the fracking process, means contamination is more preventable and fixable.

The study is published in Monday's Proceedings of the National Academies of Sciences.

News from The Associated Press

Grievous

Time Out
Jul 28, 2014
Whitby
Still not sure about this whole fracking business.

To be honest though, if I had a well that I was drinking from and they were fracking in my back yard...I don't think I'd be drinking it.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC

On the morning of June 28, a fire broke out at a Halliburton fracking site in Monroe County, Ohio. As flames engulfed the area, trucks began exploding and thousands of gallons of toxic chemicals spilled into a tributary of the Ohio River, which supplies drinking water for millions of residents. More than 70,000 fish died.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
According to a preliminary EPA inquiry, more than 25,000 gallons of chemicals, diesel fuel, and other compounds were released during the accident, which began with a ruptured hydraulic line spraying flammable liquid on hot equipment. The flames later engulfed 20 trucks, triggering some 30 explosions that rained shrapnel over the site and hampered firefighting efforts
Diesel and hydraulic fluid will kill fish. Who knew?

After running it through an RO system you bet because ground water never has and never will be 100% safe for daily consumption.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Still not sure about this whole fracking business.

To be honest though, if I had a well that I was drinking from and they were fracking in my back yard...I don't think I'd be drinking it.

Here in NB, one of the preparations for fracking in the future is testing of all the wells in the area, the better to tell if any future problems are caused by the fracking.

In the USA, fracking has been going on for over 65 years, with over one million wells fracked.

Fracking recently has allowed the US to ease their dependence on coal, thus lowering radically the amount of pollutants released into the air.

It can be argued that fracking is a green activity............

Diesel and hydraulic fluid will kill fish. Who knew?

After running it through an RO system you bet because ground water never has and never will be 100% safe for daily consumption.

Bullshyte.

Well over I million fracked wells in the USA.

Were what you say true, there would be no clean water in the USA.

Hydraulic fracturing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

El Barto

les fesses a l'aire
Feb 11, 2007
Quebec
We should take a poll
who here has a well?
How far away is that fracking from you?
How many of you have first hand problems with fracking?
the rest of you shut the **** up!

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
:lol:

right, no opinions on CC re: anything you've never had first-hand experience with...you might upset someone.

some topics that might qualify:

israel
isis
firearms
scotland
usa
pot
spicy cooking
windmills
vaccines
fishing
terrorism
sports
rob ford
the gays
religion
common core
the middle east
russia
any other countries
local space system

you get the idea.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario

right, no opinions on CC re: anything you've never had first-hand experience with...you might upset someone.

some topics that might qualify:

israel
isis
firearms
scotland
usa
pot
spicy cooking
windmills
vaccines
fishing
terrorism
sports
rob ford
the gays
religion
common core
the middle east
russia
any other countries
local space system

you get the idea.

Well, then, um.....some weather we're having eh?