But if the diameter of orbit were smaller then you would be 50 years old
And if the diameter of orbit were bigger then you would be 30 years old
@Socratus
==.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
tis true...there is no time, never has been... talk to a physics prof

As you read this sentence, you probably think that this moment—right now—is what is happening. The present moment feels special. It is real. However much you may remember the past or anticipate the future, you live in the present. Of course, the moment during which you read that sentence is no longer happening. This one is. In other words, it feels as though time flows, in the sense that the present is constantly updating itself. We have a deep intuition that the future is open until it becomes present and that the past is fixed. As time flows, this structure of fixed past, immediate present and open future gets carried forward in time. This structure is built into our language, thought and behavior. How we live our lives hangs on it.

Yet as natural as this way of thinking is, you will not find it reflected in science. The equations of physics do not tell us which events are occurring right now—they are like a map without the “you are here” symbol. The present moment does not exist in them, and therefore neither does the flow of time. Additionally, Albert Einstein’s theories of relativity suggest not only that there is no single special present but also that all moments are equally real [see “That Mysterious Flow,” by Paul Davies; Scientific American, September 2002]. Fundamentally, the future is no more open than the past.

Is Time an Illusion? - Scientific American

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
forget time...what about Now? Apparently there is no Now in the usual physical description of space and time.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Time doesn't exist eh. Awesome sauce! I will delete the alarm clock setting and not worry about being late for work tomorrow then.

Done and done. ;)

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Time doesn't exist eh. Awesome sauce! I will delete the alarm clock setting and not worry about being late for work tomorrow then.

Done and done. ;)

Your boss will still perceive time as it impacts his reality. sh!tty deal to be sure.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
tis true...there is no time, never has been

So how does time go slower the faster you move if it doesn't exist? Have you never heard of the Theory of Relativity?

You are 40 years old
But if the diameter of orbit were smaller then you would be 50 years old
And if the diameter of orbit were bigger then you would be 30 years old
@Socratus
==.

All that does is prove that the units we use to MEASURE time are abstract, not that time itself is abstract.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
I think the posters on this thread got into a bad batch of weed... I'm tell'in ya.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
So how does time go slower the faster you move if it doesn't exist? Have you never heard of the Theory of Relativity?

All that does is prove that the units we use to MEASURE time are abstract, not that time itself is abstract.

Yes I have heard of the Theory of Relativity.

If you read the OP he said...
"Time doesn't exist. It is a relational concept only"

which is what the Theory of Relativity states.

if you want more answers on time ask a scientist

Here's a fun site for you.

7 Theories on Time That Would Make Doc Brown's Head Explode | Cracked.com

also see here:

http://forums.canadiancontent.net/science-environment/124331-einstein-didnt-understand-his-srt.html

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004

Yes I have heard of the Theory of Relativity.

If you read the OP he said...
"Time doesn't exist. It is a relational concept only"

which is what the Theory of Relativity states.

if you want more answers on time ask a scientist

Here's a fun site for you.

7 Theories on Time That Would Make Doc Brown's Head Explode | Cracked.com

also see here:

http://forums.canadiancontent.net/science-environment/124331-einstein-didnt-understand-his-srt.html

He's still wrong. Time isn't a relational concept.

Earth could suddenly have a shorter orbit and therefore have a shorter year, but time itself will still be the same.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007

He's still wrong. Time isn't a relational concept.

Earth could suddenly have a shorter orbit and therefore have a shorter year, but time itself will still be the same.

I thought was the point...time isn't linear and may not just exist on one plain...no?

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Socratus is saying that time doesn't exist at all.
oops, I misunderstood that, I thought he was saying it was relative to perception...by our existence alone it has to exist in some form since we are here and then will cease to be