Veterans Affairs wind turbine, built for $2.3 million, stands dormant

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
ST. CLOUD, Minn. — A $2.3 million federal stimulus project at the Veterans Affairs Medical Center in St. Cloud is giving green energy initiatives a bad name.

A 600-kilowatt wind turbine — some 245 foot tall — stands on the wintry VA grounds, frozen in time and temperature, essentially inoperable for the past 1 1/2 years. No one is working to fix it, though many attempts were made to repair the turbine, once billed as a model green energy project.

“The St. Cloud VA is a hospital, and our focus is on our patients and we like to think that we treat our veterans very well here,” said Barry Venable, a public affairs officer for the VA in St. Cloud. “We’re embarrassed that this turbine does not operate as advertised.”

more

Veterans Affairs wind turbine, built for $2.3 million, stands dormant « Watchdog.org

55Mercury

rigid member
May 31, 2007
Man, I thought St. Cloud, Minnesota was one of the most scenic little towns I'd ever seen when I hitch-hiked through it in the summer of '72 (that and Vernon, B.C.). Taking a google trip through it now, though, and "progress" has trashed its aesthetic appeal (ditto for Vernon). Fvck progress.

The Old Medic

Council Member
May 16, 2010
The World
Just another "Clean Energy" failure.

Heck, if it WAS working, it would be killing birds. $2,300,000.00 is pocket change to the US Federal Government. They waste a lot more than that every day!

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Man, I thought St. Cloud, Minnesota was one of the most scenic little towns I'd ever seen when I hitch-hiked through it in the summer of '72 (that and Vernon, B.C.). Taking a google trip through it now, though, and "progress" has trashed its aesthetic appeal (ditto for Vernon). Fvck progress.
That's about the same view I have of a few places. The ruination of the south end of Baja, for instance.

Just another "Clean Energy" failure.

Heck, if it WAS working, it would be killing birds. $2,300,000.00 is pocket change to the US Federal Government. They waste a lot more than that every day!
And fossil fuel burners, hydro plants, etc. don't need maintenance? They never have problems?
uhuh I bleev dat were billyuns woodent.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
And fossil fuel burners, hydro plants, etc. don't need maintenance? They never have problems?
uhuh I bleev dat were billyuns woodent.

Not working for 1.5 years and counting though?

Shouldn't it be... ummm...fixed?