Schoolboy, 13, becomes youngest person to carry out nuclear fusion

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
A 13-year-old Lancashire schoolboy has become the youngest person in the world to carry out nuclear fusion.

Jamie Edwards, a pupil at Penwortham Priory Academy in Penwortham, Lancashire, created the project from scratch with help from his school.

"I can't quite believe it - even though all my friends think I am mad," he said.

The last record holder was US student Taylor Wilson, who was 14 when he created nuclear fusion in 2008.

Schoolboy, 13, creates nuclear fusion in Penwortham

5 March 2014
BBC News

Jamie Edwards worked through every break time on his nuclear project

A 13-year-old Lancashire schoolboy has become the youngest person in the world to carry out nuclear fusion.

Jamie Edwards, a pupil at Penwortham Priory Academy in Penwortham, Lancashire, created the project from scratch with help from his school.

"I can't quite believe it - even though all my friends think I am mad," he said.

The last record holder was US student Taylor Wilson, who was 14 when he created nuclear fusion in 2008.

Jamie, who started work in October in an under-used school science laboratory, recreated a process known as 'inertial electrostatic confinement' which dates back to the 1960s.

'Star in jar'

"One day, I was looking on the internet for radiation or other aspects of nuclear energy and I came across Taylor Wilson," said the junior scientist who faced a race against time to complete the project before his 14th birthday on Sunday.

"I looked at it, thought 'that looks cool' and decided to have a go."

"You see this purple ball of plasma - basically it's like a star in a jar," he added.

Jamie, along with friend George Barker, set about trying to create nuclear fusion by consulting an open source website for amateur physicists.

His application for funds was rejected by various nuclear laboratories and universities.

School funding

"They didn't seem to take me seriously as it was hard to believe a 13-year-old would do something like that so I went to my head teacher Mr Hourigan in October," he said.

"I was a bit stunned and I have to say a little nervous when Jamie suggested this but he reassured me he wouldn't blow the school up," said Priory head Jim Hourigan, who agreed to give £2,000 to the project.

Jamie ordered parts and equipment from Lithuania, the US and UK, working on the project every break and lunchtime as well as after school.

His nuclear fusion record attempt is yet to be verified by the Open Source Fusor Research Consortium.

Inertial electrostatic confinement

This type of fusion has been known about since the 1960s.

A high voltage is put through a confined gas creating tiny pockets hotter than the surface of the Sun.

Some charged hydrogen atoms can fuse together to produce a helium nucleus and a few neutron particles.

Care needs to be taken because of the high voltage production of a small amount of radiation, including some X-rays.

The process is called inertial electrostatic confinement.

Source: BBC Science Desk

BBC News - Schoolboy, 13, creates nuclear fusion in Penwortham

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
I knew I should have expanded my mechano set to include powders.

I assume those red things are the pocket protectors attributed to all 'geeks'.

Zipperfish

House Member
Apr 12, 2013
Vancouver
Nonsense. I did it when I was 6. If you don't believe me, you can check for yourself in the time machine I built when I was 8.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
So, the height of British ingenuity is re-performing a 50-year-old experiment?

Yep, that's British "science."

Whatever will our Jamie do next? Drop two cannonballs off the Leaning Tower of Pisa? Fly a kite in a lightning storm? Drop rubber on the stove?

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
So, the height of British ingenuity is re-performing a 50-year-old experiment?

Yep, that's British "science."

Whatever will our Jamie do next? Drop two cannonballs off the Leaning Tower of Pisa? Fly a kite in a lightning storm? Drop rubber on the stove?

Tecumsehsbones, what is this topic called? I know you hate the British but surely you can applaud the efforts of a 13 year old boy. You're sounding a bit ridiculous.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Tecumsehsbones, what is this topic called? I know you hate the British but surely you can applaud the efforts of a 13 year old boy. You're sounding a bit ridiculous.

Blackleaf resides in his head. Boss-level resentment.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007

Schoolboy, 13, creates nuclear fusion in Penwortham

5 March 2014
BBC News

Jamie Edwards worked through every break time on his nuclear project

Jamie, who started work in October in an under-used school science laboratory, recreated a process known as 'inertial electrostatic confinement' which dates back to the 1960s.

'Star in jar'

"One day, I was looking on the internet for radiation or other aspects of nuclear energy and I came across Taylor Wilson," said the junior scientist who faced a race against time to complete the project before his 14th birthday on Sunday.

"I looked at it, thought 'that looks cool' and decided to have a go."

"You see this purple ball of plasma - basically it's like a star in a jar," he added.

Jamie, along with friend George Barker, set about trying to create nuclear fusion by consulting an open source website for amateur physicists.

His application for funds was rejected by various nuclear laboratories and universities.

School funding

"They didn't seem to take me seriously as it was hard to believe a 13-year-old would do something like that so I went to my head teacher Mr Hourigan in October," he said.

"I was a bit stunned and I have to say a little nervous when Jamie suggested this but he reassured me he wouldn't blow the school up," said Priory head Jim Hourigan, who agreed to give £2,000 to the project.

Jamie ordered parts and equipment from Lithuania, the US and UK, working on the project every break and lunchtime as well as after school.

His nuclear fusion record attempt is yet to be verified by the Open Source Fusor Research Consortium.

Inertial electrostatic confinement

This type of fusion has been known about since the 1960s.

A high voltage is put through a confined gas creating tiny pockets hotter than the surface of the Sun.

Some charged hydrogen atoms can fuse together to produce a helium nucleus and a few neutron particles.

Care needs to be taken because of the high voltage production of a small amount of radiation, including some X-rays.

The process is called inertial electrostatic confinement.

Source: BBC Science Desk

BBC News - Schoolboy, 13, creates nuclear fusion in Penwortham
Outstanding!!! Brilliant kid. Hopefully the brilliance will continue!

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
TB's gonna tell us how to make it in a Cuisinart using Zip's clock ;-) Great to see kids interested in science. I have a 10-year-old grand daughter who loves it
Might could wanna tell her repeating a 50-year-old experiment ain't science.

This is science. . .

Student's flashlight works by body heat, not batteries

(Phys.org) —Ann Makosinski from Victoria, British Columbia, has an LED flashlight powered by body heat. This inventor has a flashlight that glows when she holds it. The story gets more interesting, though. She is 15 years old and her flashlight has got her into the finalist ranks for the Google Science Fair. Her work is a result of a general interest in alternative energy. She said that she is "really interested in harvesting surplus energy, energy that surrounds but we never really use." Enter the Hollow Flashlight, which works according to the thermoelectric effect—creating electric voltage out of temperature difference. As a Grade 10 student at St. Michaels University School in Victoria, she was deciding on a topic for a science project when she discovered the Peltier tile, producing electricity when one side of the tile is heated while the other side is cooled.

"Using four Peltier tiles and the temperature difference between the palm of the hand and ambient air, " she said in her project statement, "I designed a flashlight that provides bright light without batteries or moving parts. My design is ergonomic, thermodynamically efficient, and only needs a five degree temperature difference to work and produce up to 5.4 mW at 5 foot candles of brightness."

She ran some calculations to see if the warmth from a human hand could generate enough energy via a tile to power a flashlight. She presented her hypothesis:" If I can capture enough heat from a human hand and convert it efficiently to electricity, then I can power a flashlight without any batteries or kinetic energy." She presented her objective: "To make a flashlight that runs on the heat of the human hand."

To begin, she bought Peltier tiles and tested them to see if they could produce sufficient power to light an LED. The power was no problem but getting the needed voltage was, as the tiles did not generate enough of the voltage needed. As she learned, making some changes to the circuit design might turn a page. She used the Internet for information, experimented with different circuits, and got lucky, finding an energy-harvesting article on the Internet that made note of a circuit that could provide enough voltage when used with a recommended transformer.

Student's flashlight works by body heat, not batteries

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Probably would have had I revived one - pickled and all.

What's newsworthy is being the youngest person to do it - something like 13-year-old flying an airplane.
Oh, I see. So the headline should have been "Thirteen Year Old Brit Does what Fourteen Year Old Yank Already Did. Wow, Aren't We Amazing?"