UN: Global warming could cost up to $1.45 Trillion

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Draft UN Report: Global Warming Could Cost $1.45 Trillion

The effects of global warming could cost the world $1.45 trillion in economic damages, with the planet's crop production projected to decline up to two percent every decade, according to news coverage of a new UN report.

The new figures were detailed in a draft of an upcoming report from the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC), which will be publicly released later this month during a meeting in Yokohama, Japan, reported The Economic Times. The IPCC was established by the United Nations in 1988 to examine the most recent published and peer-reviewed research on global warming and prepare comprehensive reports on the risks and impacts of climate change.

In addition to declining crop production, global warming could intensify the threat of floods, droughts, rising sea levels and stifling heat waves, according to the draft report. "To steer humanity out of the high danger zone, governments must step up immediate climate action and craft an agreement in 2015," said UN climate chief Christiana Figueres, according to the Economic Times.

Draft UN Report: Global Warming Could Cost $1.45 Trillion | LiveScience

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.

The effects of global warming could cost the world $1.45 trillion in economic damages, with the planet's crop production projected to decline up to two percent every decade, according to news coverage of a new UN report.

The new figures were detailed in a draft of an upcoming report from the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC), which will be publicly released later this month during a meeting in Yokohama, Japan, reported The Economic Times. The IPCC was established by the United Nations in 1988 to examine the most recent published and peer-reviewed research on global warming and prepare comprehensive reports on the risks and impacts of climate change.

In addition to declining crop production, global warming could intensify the threat of floods, droughts, rising sea levels and stifling heat waves, according to the draft report. "To steer humanity out of the high danger zone, governments must step up immediate climate action and craft an agreement in 2015," said UN climate chief Christiana Figueres, according to the Economic Times.

But then again global warming could create $1.45 trillion .
Global Warming could also be a false premise .
Global warming could have no adverse affects .
Or any other thing could or would or should .
I know I should of had a hole in one I could have if only and would have but I missed my putt and took three .

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Meaning it will be at least double when moves have to be made to adapt to global cooling being a reality. Given the way the 'pattern' is where it is 10,000 years not being an ice age and about 90,000 years being an ice age that would seem to mean we are ice-age creatures and the 10,000 years that is not the 'weather pattern' are the 'lean years'. The current models predict the desert regions would remain deserts and the green belt would get snowed under. A weather modeling software might show the green belt remains as wide as it is today and it is the desert region that gets smaller and that is in an area that allows two crops per years so on a global scale food production could double if it needed to. If the people aren't frightened and intentionally led in the wrong direction the transition isn't that bad as the ocean levels would actually drop, quite a bit if the ice got to be miles thick.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Yes there is a lot there. When the Sahara had rivers does it say how long they were flowing? How about enough rainfall in a year to make the Dead Sea into a body of fresh water? (maintained rather than water needed fill it to that level.

Use the winter data for the northern hemisphere from the coldest and longest winters and see if the 'dry areas' got more moisture or if it stayed the same. That would happen globally if that was the case in one area.

How many years to fill the aquifers that Libya has access to? Take the present day Nile as being a trickle of it's former self and raise the flood level to 50 ft above today's level and it would be at the feet of the Sphinx.

It's speculation so saying it was more than a theory would be a lie. I'm just saying predicting the weather patterns for the ice age is not beyond our ability and it may dot be the disaster it is thought to be. It will still be expensive to adapt to but nobody has to go extinct. It's quite easy to visualize with google earth adding the snow pattern to a screen shot probably wouldn't be that difficult to do. It is av=bove my pay grade but I can visualize the effects if the green area moves south as the snow moves south.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
I'm more concerned about how much money the Great Global Warming Scam is costing taxpayers and billpayers. Energy bills are sky-high now due to the silly "green" tariffs they place on energy bills to "solve" a non-existent problem.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister

Anthropogenic Global Warming is the best thing that could possibly happen to the travel and tourism industry across the globe... More choices and options for the consumer and a greater distribution of the revenues across different nations.

This is a huge win - win for the equatorial regions, that I might remind you, is in desperate need of an economic boost.

For just this one time Flossy, won't you please think of the wee children in those nations instead of just yourself?

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
A shame we won't be alive for the Maid of the Mists ride to the Statue of Liberty.

Climate change may put UNESCO World Heritage Sites underwater

The researchers calculated the regional sea level at different World Heritage Sites 2,000 years from now for different average global temperatures. They used that to determine how much global temperatures would have to increase before each site would be underwater.

"If we do not limit climate change," Marzeion concluded, "the archeologists of the future will need to search for major parts of our cultural heritage in the oceans."

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Look at the bright side... That turns into better and improved beach-front opportunities.

You just turn that frown upside down mister and look at the silver lining to this cloud!

Oh, and, please think about the children

Zipperfish

House Member
Apr 12, 2013
Vancouver
But then again global warming could create $1.45 trillion .
Global Warming could also be a false premise .
Global warming could have no adverse affects .
Or any other thing could or would or should .
I know I should of had a hole in one I could have if only and would have but I missed my putt and took three .

That's kind of what I was thinking "Global warming could cost 1.5 trillion plus or minus 3 trillion." :lol: Any such estimate is so fraught with uncertainty as to border on the useless. You just don't know. Look at war--try getting a straight answer from an e0oncomist on whether or not war is good for the economy. Who knows?

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
I think global cooling will be a little cheaper between 1.41 to 1.43 trillion. When they were building the climate scam they must have consulted the experts. Who, obviously I think, flipped a coin after spending billions to determine the future with plastic models and numerology.