Brilliant Move by Palau Govt-Commercial Fishing Banned

bill barilko

Senate Member
Mar 4, 2009
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
This has been expected for some time-friends of mine who have dived Palau tell me the diversity & plenitude there is staggering

Remengesau Declares Palau Waters ‘100% Marine Sanctuary’

President announces total ban on commercial-scale fishing

Palau's President Tommy Remengesau has declared the Pacific nation will become a marine sanctuary, where no commercial fishing will take place.

Mr Remengesau has told a UN oceans conference Palau's 200 nautical mile Exclusive Economic Zone will be a "100 per cent marine sanctuary," and commercial operations will be banned within the Pacific nation's territorial waters.

"We have no choice - the ocean is our way of life," he said.

"It's our livelihood, it's our culture, it's our economy - I always say the economy is our environment and the environment is our economy."

"You may ask why, why are you doing this? It makes every sense for our sustainability as a people, as an island nation, and as a community."

Palau currently has commercial fishing contracts with Japan, Taiwan and several private companies, which will be allowed to expire.

Mr Remengesau says locals and tourists will continue to be able to fish, but no commercial scale operations will take place.

"I may not be the best fisherman, but I am a fisherman," he said.

"I can tell you that in just my generation I've seen stocks of fish dwindle down, I've seen the sizes of fish taken become more smaller.

"This is something that is far more than the economical loss of revenues for companies or other countries - you're talking about a livelihood that's really going to be decimated if we don't take the responsible action."

The marine sanctuary follows the declaration of a shark sanctuary in Palau in 2009.

Shark sanctuaries have since been declared in several other countries, including the Maldives, Honduras, Marshall Islands and French Polynesia.

Mr Remengesau says a dead shark is worth several hundred dollars, but a live shark is worth $1.9 million in tourism during its life span.

He says his country will promote scuba diving, snorkeling and eco-tourism as an alternative income to commercial fishing.

"We're not just closing our waters and throwing away the key," he said.

"We're closing our waters because we will do our part of making sure that there's healthy stocks of fish in Palau that can migrate to other places, and that there are other options to grow the economy.

"These are important ways to make a living and at the same time preserve the pristine environment that we have been blessed with in Palau."

Enforcement of the commercial fishing ban is expected to be a challenge, as the country only has one patrol boat to cover its economic zone which is roughly the size of France.

Last year it trialed unmanned drones, and is also looking for other technology partners to help enforce the ban.

Sustainable Development Goal

Palau is also urging the United Nations to adopt a new Sustainable Development Goal to protect the world's oceans.

The Sustainable Development Goals (SDG) are a follow-up to the Millennium Development Goals, which pledged countries to reduce poverty and improve health and environmental protection by 2015.

Stuart Beck, Ambassador of the Republic of Palau for Oceans and Seas, says the proposal for a 'stand alone' goal has three parts.

"One: healthy oceans - let's clean up the plastic gyre, let stop dumping garbage," he said.

"Two: restoration of our fish stocks - we can actually achieve that in our lifetime if we're smart about it.

"Three: bring some equity to the current resources being taken from these oceans by others."

Mr Remengesau says the health of oceans affects countries in a variety of ways, from rising sea levels, to ocean acidification and unpredictable weather.

"It doesn't matter where you live around the world; we are all connected somehow and are impacted by what we do to the oceans and the health of the oceans and the seas.

"And so it is important that the United Nations in the next Millennium Development Goals, really put a stand alone policy on this."

Deputy Secretary-General with the UN, Jan Elliason, has paid tribute to the Pacific and other island countries for raising awareness of the issue.

"They have an acute sense of the dangers of climate change and the level of sea rise - becoming an existential threat for them," he said.

"They are a bit like the canaries in the coal mine, the canaries that warn us that now the oxygen is running out...they're the first ones to leave.

"We should listen to those states."

Last edited:

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Stupidest idea I've heard in a long time. IF anything they should ban recreational fishing instead of putting people out of work.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Sea rise... lmao

The canaries in the coal mine!

Their oceans will rise faster than ours.

OR.... they tend to gain a HELL of a lot if they ever can pull off the global wealth distribution scam.

Stupidest idea I've heard in a long time. IF anything they should ban recreational fishing instead of putting people out of work.

I am doubtful that the Commercial Fisheries that trawl these waters will pay much heed.

bill barilko

Senate Member
Mar 4, 2009
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Sea rise... lmao..The canaries in the coal mine!Their oceans will rise faster than ours..OR.... they tend to gain a HELL of a lot if they ever can pull off the global wealth distribution scam.I am doubtful that the Commercial Fisheries that trawl these waters will pay much heed.

Typical 'Wisdom' from Sages of the Double Wide World-to be expected.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
And its a very popular dive spot.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
No doubt someone with your background has no idea where Palau is but it's quite close to Asia (population 2.39 billion)-you've heard of Asia haven't you?

Also-lots of my friends from Hong Kong have visited Palau it's an easy flight.

That would be other people that kill fish for sport?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Another chunk of earth put up for IMF collateral. Hopefully they don't lose it like we lost Banff/Jasper/Yoho and more.