New predatory dinosaur discovered in Utah

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
QMI AGENCY
First posted: Friday, November 22, 2013 10:09 AM EST
A new predatory dinosaur that walked the Earth approximately 100 million years ago has been discovered in the Cedar Mountain Formation in Utah.
The new dinosaur is the first of its kind to be discovered in North America, researchers say in the Friday issue of Nature Communications.
Called the Siats meekerorum, the giant predator was more than 30 feet long and weighed more than four tonnes.
Despite its size, researchers say it is not a relative of the Tyrannosaurus Rex, but belongs to the carchardontosaurian group of predatory dinosaurs, which includes the Argentinean Giganotosaurus.
The dinosaur was discovered in 2008 by researchers at The Field Museum, the North Carolina Museum of Natural Sciences and North Carolina State University.
Lead study author Lindsay Zanno said researchers are still working in the area.
"Siats is just the tip of the iceberg; our teams are unearthing a lost dinosaurian ecosystem right here in the badlands of western North America," Zanno said.
An illustration of Siats meekerorum, a new dinosaur found in Utah. Illustration by Jorge Gonzales. The new dinosaur is the first of its kind to be discovered in North America. The study appears in the Nov. 22, 2013 issue of Nature Communications.

New predatory dinosaur discovered in Utah | World | News | Toronto Sun

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
yeah I saw this on the news this morning...totally cool

cj44

Electoral Member
Sep 18, 2013
Nice. Real Nice. I hope one day the scientist are able to duplicate such a magnificient beast. It looks kind of furry. Maybe they'll do a dna grab and mingle it with a buffalo. Shazaam! Instant dinosaur circa 2014.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Nice. Real Nice. I hope one day the scientist are able to duplicate such a magnificient beast. It looks kind of furry. Maybe they'll do a dna grab and mingle it with a buffalo. Shazaam! Instant dinosaur circa 2014.
hm Jurassic Park comes to mind with that...not sure I want to go there

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
I doubt a dino could survive today. The climate, flora and fauna are so completely different than it was in their day.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
QMI AGENCY
First posted: Friday, November 22, 2013 10:09 AM EST
A new predatory dinosaur that walked the Earth approximately 100 million years ago has been discovered in the Cedar Mountain Formation in Utah.
The new dinosaur is the first of its kind to be discovered in North America, researchers say in the Friday issue of Nature Communications.
Called the Siats meekerorum, the giant predator was more than 30 feet long and weighed more than four tonnes.
Despite its size, researchers say it is not a relative of the Tyrannosaurus Rex, but belongs to the carchardontosaurian group of predatory dinosaurs, which includes the Argentinean Giganotosaurus.
The dinosaur was discovered in 2008 by researchers at The Field Museum, the North Carolina Museum of Natural Sciences and North Carolina State University.
Lead study author Lindsay Zanno said researchers are still working in the area.
"Siats is just the tip of the iceberg; our teams are unearthing a lost dinosaurian ecosystem right here in the badlands of western North America," Zanno said.
An illustration of Siats meekerorum, a new dinosaur found in Utah. Illustration by Jorge Gonzales. The new dinosaur is the first of its kind to be discovered in North America. The study appears in the Nov. 22, 2013 issue of Nature Communications.

New predatory dinosaur discovered in Utah | World | News | Toronto Sun

Has it been decided that dinosaurs had hair/fur?, stripes ? I've never heard of a lizard with hair but that doesn't mean there weren't any.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Has it been decided that dinosaurs had hair/fur?, stripes ? I've never heard of a lizard with hair but that doesn't mean there weren't any.

Birds have feathers and they're descended from dinosaurs.