'Jaw-dropping' breakthrough hailed as landmark in fight against hereditary diseases

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Development to revolutionise study and treatment of a range of diseases from cancer, incurable viruses such as HIV to inherited genetic disorders such as sickle-cell anaemia, Huntington’s disease and Down syndrome

A breakthrough in genetics – described as “jaw-dropping” by one Nobel scientist – has created intense excitement among DNA experts around the world who believe the discovery will transform their ability to edit the genomes of all living organisms, including humans.

The development has been hailed as a milestone in medical science because it promises to revolutionise the study and treatment of a range of diseases, from cancer and incurable viruses to inherited genetic disorders such as sickle-cell anaemia and Down syndrome.
For the first time, scientists are able to engineer any part of the human genome with extreme precision using a revolutionary new technique called Crispr, which has been likened to editing the individual letters on any chosen page of an encyclopedia without creating spelling mistakes. The landmark development means it is now possible to make the most accurate and detailed alterations to any specific position on the DNA of the 23 pairs of human chromosomes without introducing unintended mutations or flaws, scientists said.

more

Exclusive: 'Jaw-dropping' breakthrough hailed as landmark in fight against hereditary diseases as Crispr technique heralds genetic revolution - Science - News - The Independent

Crispr technique: Genetic editing video - Science - News - The Independent

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
If they could find a genetic cause for my illness, I'd volunteer for experimentation in a heart beat.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
I'd even gladly take an illness if they could sort out epilepsy for my lady.

Poor gal has had 2 rough petit mal days and just now finished a grand mal. 'Bout all I can really do is sit beside her, hold her hand and talk to her until it's over. Poor girl has had this for over 40 years.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I do some volunteer work teaching chronic illness courses. One of the women I teach with is a single woman, in her early 50's, with a seizure disorder. Part of why we teach together is to ensure that there is someone there who knows what to do, and what is going on, in case she has a seizure during class.