'Like Finding a Herd of Dinosaurs on Land'-Howe Sound BC

bill barilko

Senate Member
Mar 4, 2009
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
I'm definitely going to use this in the narrative I do for my tour groups most of them love this sort of stuff.

Submarine expedition visits rare B.C. glass sponge reefs
Discovery of 40-million-year-old sponge species 'like finding a herd of dinosaurs on land'

A group of scientists, explorers, and concerned citizens are making a series of submarine dives in Howe Sound to get an up-close view of reefs of a rare glass sponge that was thought to be long-extinct.

Sabine Jessen is oceans director with the Canadian Parks and Wilderness Society (CPAWS), which is hosting the expedition in partnership with Nuytco Research. She said this particular species of glass sponge was though to have died off 40 million years ago, but was discovered in B.C. in 1987.

"The German paleontologist doctor Manfred Krautter, who we work with — he says discovering the glass sponge reefs in British Columbia waters was like discovering a herd of dinosaurs on land."

Jessen said B.C.'s glass sponge reefs, which are found in Hecate Strait and the Georgia Strait, are sometimes referred to as “Jurassic Park submerged.”

In order to raise the profile of the rarely-seen sponge, Jessen organized an expedition to take Vancouver-based, Juno-winning musician Dan Mangan; global explorer Bruce Kirkby; B.C.'s Minister of Technology, Innovation and Citizens' Services Andrew Wilkinson; along with scientists and conservationists, on a series of dives in Howe Sound Tuesday and Wednesday. The sponge reefs are located 76 metres below the surface — too deep to visit without a submarine.

Jessen explained that the sponge is an animal, not a plant, and it is actually made of partly of glass — the animals' tiny skeletons are made out of the silica it absorbs from the ocean waters.

Jessen said the sponges not only filter the water, but are nurseries for some local endangered fish species.

"There were so many tiny little rockfish, and you know these rockfish — they live for over 100 years and they are in big trouble on this coast — and and we also saw a lot of juvenile lingcod as well."

CPAWS is working to get fishing closures in place where the reefs are to protect the animals from prawn traps and fishing nets, and to eventually have the areas declared marine sanctuaries.

Glass sponge reefs | CPAWS British Columbia

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Jessen explained that the sponge is an animal, not a plant, and it is actually made of partly of glass — the animals' tiny skeletons are made out of the silica it absorbs from the ocean waters.
Spicules are glass?

bill barilko

Senate Member
Mar 4, 2009
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Spicules are glass?

Spicules are tiny spike-like structures of diverse origin and function found in many organisms, such as the copulatory spicules of certain nematodes or the grains on the skin of some frogs. In sponges, spicules perform a structural function. Spicules are a very important part of many organisms.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Sounds like either Jessen or the reporter misinterpreted what they were told about glass, silica, and the way glass sponges are made up.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Sounds like either Jessen or the reporter misinterpreted what they were told about glass, silica, and the way glass sponges are made up.

Glass sponges (phylum Porifera: class Hexactinellida) are exclusively marine sponges with mineral skeletons composed of silica (glass) spicules.
Not exactly glass but certainly related.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
The sponges aren't low wattage thinkers are they?

You are compounding the editorial error by introducing electrical current. However oceanic telluric currents are being mapped at this time and the organisms wattage will be determined once th
e protected area is secured and probes and meters have been inserted, I'm sure, I think I'm sure. I'm not sure I understand the question.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Glass sponges (phylum Porifera: class Hexactinellida) are exclusively marine sponges with mineral skeletons composed of silica (glass) spicules.
Not exactly glass but certainly related.

uh huh. Like I said, sounds like they got confused moreso than tried to dumb it down.

skookumchuck

Council Member
Jan 19, 2012
Van Isle
The thread and photos are excellent Bill, thanks! Nice to hear about the Rockfish and Lings, last i heard Howe sound was dead due mostly to that old Brittania gold mine and the creek.