GE scraps nation’s largest solar panel plant

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Really.

:lol:

AURORA, Colo. — General Electric Co. is permanently scrapping plans to build the largest solar factory in the U.S. near Denver.

GE blamed the cancellation on a glut of solar panels on the market and falling prices, The Denver Post reported Tuesday (GE abandons plans for Aurora solar plant; 50 jobs lost at Arvada lab - The Denver Post ).

The factory was to have been bigger than 11 football fields and have an annual capacity of 400 megawatts. State officials said it would create 350 jobs.

GE put the project on hold last month.

A research center that developed the thin-film solar-cell technology for the plant will be closed, with 50 people losing their jobs, according to Lindsay Thiel, a GE spokeswoman. The research center, formerly a startup named PrimeStar, was in Arvada, another Denver suburb.

"We have decided that it is not in the best interest of GE, our customers or the Denver community to move forward with the build-out of this facility," Thiel told the newspaper in an email.

At least 10 states were vying for the PrimeStar plant in 2011. GE said it would go to Aurora that fall, and company executives attended the next year's State of the State address by Gov. John Hickenlooper, who personally cited the plant in his speech.

Thiel said the company has decided to permanently end plans for the plant.

"With the continued price declines of and overcapacity for solar panels, solar module manufacturing is very competitive, and only the most competitive technology at the most competitive cost position will succeed," Thiel said.

GE scraps nation's largest solar panel plant - Las Vegas Sun News

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
I would like to have solar panels on the roof of my flat just like some houses around here do.

Not because I believe in all that global warming nonsense, but just because it'll cut down my leccy bill.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
With 600% mark up, you won't reduce your bill by a single penny. It'll wear out long before make your nut.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
They cheaper because they are established. it's not material or labour costs impeding GE. Just think how useless they'll be with tariffs added to the 600% retail mark up.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Really.

:lol:

AURORA, Colo. — General Electric Co. is permanently scrapping plans to build the largest solar factory in the U.S. near Denver.

GE blamed the cancellation on a glut of solar panels on the market and falling prices, The Denver Post reported Tuesday (GE abandons plans for Aurora solar plant; 50 jobs lost at Arvada lab - The Denver Post ).

The factory was to have been bigger than 11 football fields and have an annual capacity of 400 megawatts. State officials said it would create 350 jobs.

GE put the project on hold last month.

A research center that developed the thin-film solar-cell technology for the plant will be closed, with 50 people losing their jobs, according to Lindsay Thiel, a GE spokeswoman. The research center, formerly a startup named PrimeStar, was in Arvada, another Denver suburb.

"We have decided that it is not in the best interest of GE, our customers or the Denver community to move forward with the build-out of this facility," Thiel told the newspaper in an email.

At least 10 states were vying for the PrimeStar plant in 2011. GE said it would go to Aurora that fall, and company executives attended the next year's State of the State address by Gov. John Hickenlooper, who personally cited the plant in his speech.

Thiel said the company has decided to permanently end plans for the plant.

"With the continued price declines of and overcapacity for solar panels, solar module manufacturing is very competitive, and only the most competitive technology at the most competitive cost position will succeed," Thiel said.

GE scraps nation's largest solar panel plant - Las Vegas Sun News
hehe In other words, "It'll cut into our profits, so you 400 people are screwed. buhbye".

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
I would like to have solar panels on the roof of my flat just like some houses around here do.

Not because I believe in all that global warming nonsense, but just because it'll cut down my leccy bill.
That is the reason we have panels. And I built my own, so no "600%" markup. :D The first year showed a 12-13% reduction in the "leccy bill". Running hydro off the creek killed the rest of the "leccy bill" and provides us with about $240/month from the power company. And the hydro gear has a very small impact on the local ecosystems.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
That is the reason we have panels. And I built my own, so no "600%" markup. :D The first year showed a 12-13% reduction in the "leccy bill". Running hydro off the creek killed the rest of the "leccy bill" and provides us with about $240/month from the power company. And the hydro gear has a very small impact on the local ecosystems.

So you are selling power back to the grid?? That really is amazing..

I'm in the process of building a place in New Brunswick and will have solar power.. and a high efficiency wood burning fireplace. Electric heat and wood backup. $20,000 for the panels..

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Two years ago my wife bought a set of solar powered garden lights. The worked for a month or two. She bought another set and they were just about as bad. The little solar panels weren't putting out the required voltage. What do you call lights that don't work? I call them junk. Where were they made? Guess...?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Juan....take the garbage batteries in those things and throw them as far as you can and install name brand. my dollarama lights run all night with energizer rechargeables.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
So you are selling power back to the grid?? That really is amazing..

I'm in the process of building a place in New Brunswick and will have solar power.. and a high efficiency wood burning fireplace. Electric heat and wood backup. $20,000 for the panels..
Lots of people put info about how to build your own solar or hydro gear on the net. Could save you most of that $20K. And a lot of the gear I have was made from stuff I bought from a recycling depot.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Lots of people put info about how to build your own solar or hydro gear on the net. Could save you most of that $20K. And a lot of the gear I have was made from stuff I bought from a recycling depot.
Try and get some hippy dippy or fluffy yuppy to get their hands dirty.

Automobile alternators pump out 90 kick *** amps of electrical goodness and can be driven by wind, water or calories. A very good source of easy energy if you have the noodle to rig it up.

It's a sad state of affairs when people no longer have basic hand tool skills.