Shiny electric cars no greener than gasoline vehicles

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Electric cars, despite their supposed green credentials, are among the environmentally dirtiest transportation options, a U.S. researcher suggests. Writing in the journal IEEE Spectrum, researcher Ozzie Zehner says electric cars lead to hidden environmental and health damages and are likely more harmful than gasoline cars and other transportation options.

Electric cars merely shift negative impacts from one place to another, he wrote, and "most electric-car assessments analyze only the charging of the car. This is an important factor indeed. But a more rigorous analysis would consider the environmental impacts over the vehicle's entire life cycle, from its construction through its operation and on to its eventual retirement at the junkyard."

Political priorities and corporate influence have created a flawed impression that electric cars significantly reduce transportation impacts, he said.

"Upon closer consideration, moving from petroleum-fueled vehicles to electric cars starts to appear tantamount to shifting from one brand of cigarettes to another," Zehner, a visiting scholar at the University of California, Berkeley, said.

Zehner, once an electric car enthusiast who has since changed his position and become an activist looking at a number of so-called green initiatives, is the author of the book "Green Illusions."

Switching to electric cars said like switching cigarette brands - UPI.com

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
The two main problems with EVs is that they use batteries to store electricity. Batteries are, at this point in time, toxic. The other problem is where the electricity for the EVs come from. If they're running on electricity from coal-fired plants or whatever, they're not terribly eco-friendly.
However, research is continually improving on batteries, so the toxicity native to them will likely be reduced considerably.
If the EVs run on electricity supplied by solar radiation or something else, they're pretty good at being relatively eco-friendly.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Over the past few years I have learned to 'park' my car much more than I 'drive' it. I think that
is a good alternative.

Much more money left for me to count at the end of the month as well.