Oil Spill Hits Beautiful Burrard Inlet

bill barilko

Senate Member
Mar 4, 2009
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Two Full Litres of the Stuff!!!

Suncor failed to notify public about Port Moody spill

Five days after a spill at its facility in Port Moody, B.C., Suncor is talking publicly about the leak which reached Metro Vancouver's Burrard Inlet.

Company spokesperson Sneh Seetal says about 225 barrels of biodiesel made from soy bean oil leaked from a storage tank on Saturday.

The company immediately activated its response plan, blocking storm sewers, setting up booms and reporting the spill to the federal and provincial environment ministries.

Most the spill was captured in a trench, but about two litres spilled into the Burrard Inlet.

The public was not notified, and the incident only came to light after local media reported it.

Seetal says she understands the lack of public notification may have raised concerns.

"When the public is worried and concerned, we are as well, and that's why we'll do a thorough investigation, we'll look at the processes we have in place and we'll make any changes if appropriate."

The company is working with the Western Canada Marine Response Corporation to complete the clean-up, Seetal said.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
When will the human race decide to give up its dependence on soy beans?! How many more fish and birds must die because of our unnecessary fixation with these highly toxic beans?!

Won't someone please think of the children?!

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
When will the human race decide to give up its dependence on soy beans?! How many more fish and birds must die because of our unnecessary fixation with these highly toxic beans?!

Won't someone please think of the children?!

No way! We always put the kids first and look where it's gotten us! I say put them dead last. ;)

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
It's time to ban dihydrogen monoxide.

It's in everything from food, pesticides, to acid rain.

No matter how hard you try you can't wash it from fruit and vegetables or from soils and the air we breath.

Billion of people go toxic from it regularly. It causes sweats, heavy urination and thirst.

WHO says 1,000,000 die from acute dihydrogen monoxide poisoning every year.

It is a major cause of errosion, corrosion and deterioration.

It is by far the biggest threat to mankind and the planet.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
No way! We always put the kids first and look where it's gotten us! I say put them dead last. ;)

Ok.. I'll meet you half way on this.

I'll think of the kids - in terms that if they swim in the soy bean polluted water and are OK, then I'll consider going in.

Can we call that a compromise?

It's time to ban dihydrogen monoxide.

It's in everything from food, pesticides, to acid rain.

No matter how hard you try you can't wash it from fruit and vegetables or from soils and the air we breath.

Billion of people go toxic from it regularly. It causes sweats, heavy urination and thirst.

WHO says 1,000,000 die from acute dihydrogen monoxide poisoning every year.

It is a major cause of errosion, corrosion and deterioration.

It is by far the biggest threat to mankind and the planet.

I'm just waiting for Suzuki to demand that we outlaw NORMS..... It's only a matter of time

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Ok.. I'll meet you half way on this.

I'll think of the kids - in terms that if they swim in the soy bean polluted water and are OK, then I'll consider going in.

Can we call that a compromise?

I'm just waiting for Suzuki to demand that we outlaw NORMS..... It's only a matter of time
Soy beans will make the boys have boobs.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
What if someone took a leak in the bay does that have to be reported too?
I don't know if two litres actually has to be reported.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Two litres of spill on the water looks like an awful lot so I'm not surprised that people reported it, raised a fuss.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
:roll:

There has been more oil going into Burrard inlet from leaky boats than anything Suncor has ever or will ever leak.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
That's like 2 (TWO) bags of milk.

Not good but not earth shaking.

Glad it was reported, but should be taken with a few kernels of perspective.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Far as I know bio fuel spills do not have to be reported. Even the rules for storage and containment are different from petroleum products.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
What the article seems to kind of gloss over (or at least people seem to be missing) is that the spill WAS properly reported to the government, it just wasn't felt it needed to be reported to the community at the time.

There are lots of spills that never get reported.

Expect much much more if the Keystone pipeline goes through BC.

Pipeline running through, stationary and easy to monitor, or trucks hauling it through, hitting ditches, etc., which is better? I'll take the pipeline personally. It makes bigger news when a pipeline has a problem, but it goes largely unreported when a tank truck flops over in a ditch and spills into the neighbouring creek.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Doing that nullifies your home insurance, several fire codes and public safety issues.

It's as safe as making meth.