South African boy, 5, gets mechanical 3D-printed ‘robohand’

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
South African boy, 5, gets mechanical 3D-printed ‘robohand’

Five-year-old Liam was born with ambiotic band syndrome: he doesn't have any fingers on his right hand.
Thanks to his mother and the kindness of strangers in South Africa and Washington, the young South African boy has a brand-new 3D-printed "Robohand," an affordable prosthetic that is working like a charm.
Watch Liam use his new fingers just three days after being fitted with the contraption below:

!Liam & his Robohand! (!!DAY 3!!) - YouTube

"Just 3 days after receiving his finished Robohand…Liam is off and learning to use it like a champion! A little guy who couldn’t grasp anything with his right hand can now even pick up an object as small and difficult as a coin!! Imagine how many other little folks are out there who could benefit from this technology!" the Robohand creators wrote.
Richard Van As, a carpenter in South Africa, lost the fingers on his right hand in a work accident. In 2011, he contacted Ivan Owen, a prop-maker in Washington, after he saw Owen demonstrate a claw prop he created in a YouTube video.
The two men, 10,000 miles apart, started collaborating on a prosthetic finger for Van As. The long-distance friends shipped parts back and forth as they developed the moving finger.
Liam's mother learned of their project on Van As' blog, Coming Up Short Handed, and asked the pair if they could help her son.
They said yes.
"Last November, they decided to join up in Johannesburg to work together in person on a new project: A hand for Liam, a 5-year-old South African boy born without fingers on his right hand," NBC reported.
The pair created a custom Robohand, printed on a Makerbot for a fraction of the cost of traditional prosthetics.
"No electronics, no sensors, nothing," Owen told NBC of the simple cable-and-bungee design. "That means it's easier to maintain and costs less."
The design is open source and in the public domain, with the downloadable printing pattern available on Thingiverse.
"It can be adjusted and assembled easily, parts can be replaced if they break, and best of all, anyone with a 3-D printer and some basic off-the-shelf parts can make one," NBC reported.
And the design isn't just limited to fit a child's arm:
"Using Makerware, it could be scaled to fit a wide range of individuals. The only thing that would need to be changed is the size of the bolts purchased from a hardware store. The design is open source and in the public domain. We encourage anyone who can make use of this design for any purpose to do so," Van As and Owen wrote.

Yahoo! News Canada - Latest News & Headlines

This to me is probably the coolest part.

The design is open source and in the public domain. We encourage anyone who can make use of this design for any purpose to do so," Van As and Owen wrote.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
That is just wonderful!! A whole new world for this child and possibly others soon too.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I love that they're giving others the world over free access to the designs. Actually helping others just for the sake of helping others. That's a really cool thing in my book and these gentlemen deserve applause for it.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I love that they're giving others the world over free access to the designs. Actually helping others just for the sake of helping others. That's a really cool thing in my book and these gentlemen deserve applause for it.
Yes they deserve great applause for it.

Is it just me or are things just polarized right now. Seems people are either "it's all about me, screw everyone else" or...."let's help everyone, just because we can."

Not much balance to anything any more. And in this case, it's wonderful thing.!!!

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Yes they deserve great applause for it.

Is it just me or are things just polarized right now. Seems people are either "it's all about me, screw everyone else" or...."let's help everyone, just because we can."

I don't think that's the way it really is. I think polarized thinkers are just a very, very, very vocal minority, but just because they're loud doesn't mean the represent anyone but themselves.

They do tend to, for some unfathomable reason, dominate most discussion though. Must be the loud thing eh? Me, I tend to ignore them but when they really tick me off I can get a little loud myself, lol.

Not much balance to anything any more. And in this case, it's wonderful thing.!!!
What these guys are doing is important,it can mean the absolute world to some people, and it showcases the best of what humanity can be and do. I think we could all do more to highlight those stories, cases, situations whenever we find them.