The 36 Obama-Funded Green Energy Failures…

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
So far, 36 companies that have received federal support from taxpayers have either gone bankrupt or are laying off workers and are heading for bankruptcy. This list includes only those companies that received federal money from the Obama Administration’s Department of Energy. The amount of money indicated does not reflect how much was actually received or spent but how much was offered. The amount also does not include other state, local, and federal tax credits and subsidies, which push the amount of money these companies have received from taxpayers even higher.

The complete list of faltering or bankrupt green-energy companies:

1. Evergreen Solar ($24 million)*
  2. SpectraWatt ($500,000)*
  3. Solyndra ($535 million)*
  4. Beacon Power ($69 million)*
  5. AES’s subsidiary Eastern Energy ($17.1 million)
  6. Nevada Geothermal ($98.5 million)
  7. SunPower ($1.5 billion)
  8. First Solar ($1.46 billion)
  9. Babcock and Brown ($178 million)
  10. EnerDel’s subsidiary Ener1 ($118.5 million)*
  11. Amonix ($5.9 million)
  12. National Renewable Energy Lab ($200 million)
  13. Fisker Automotive ($528 million)
  14. Abound Solar ($374 million)*
  15. A123 Systems ($279 million)*
  16. Willard and Kelsey Solar Group ($6 million)
  17. Johnson Controls ($299 million)
  18. Schneider Electric ($86 million)
  19. Brightsource ($1.6 billion)
  20. ECOtality ($126.2 million)
  21. Raser Technologies ($33 million)*
  22. Energy Conversion Devices ($13.3 million)*
  23. Mountain Plaza, Inc. ($2 million)*
  24. Olsen’s Crop Service and Olsen’s Mills Acquisition Company ($10 million)*
  25. Range Fuels ($80 million)*
  26. Thompson River Power ($6.4 million)*
  27. Stirling Energy Systems ($7 million)*
  28. LSP Energy ($2.1 billion)*
  29. UniSolar ($100 million)*
  30. Azure Dynamics ($120 million)*
  31. GreenVolts ($500,000)
  32. Vestas ($50 million)
  33. LG Chem’s subsidiary Compact Power ($150 million)
  34. Nordic Windpower ($16 million)*
  35. Navistar ($10 million)
  36. Satcon ($3 million)*
*Denotes companies that have filed for bankruptcy.

more

The Complete List of Obama's Taxpayer-Backed Green Energy Failures

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
I find it very interesting that the totals listed come to only a fraction of one percent of the cash handed out to automobile companies and financial institutions, and completely ignores the succeses of grants to alternative energy sources such as the creation of the world's two largest wind farms in Oregon and Wyoming, and the development of new technologies like the liquid metal battery. Typcial right-wing rubbish.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
I find it very interesting that the totals listed come to only a fraction of one percent of the cash handed out to automobile companies and financial institutions, and completely ignores the succeses of grants to alternative energy sources such as the creation of the world's two largest wind farms in Oregon and Wyoming, and the development of new technologies like the liquid metal battery. Typcial right-wing rubbish.

..... But you don't find it interesting that the banks and financial institutions are still in business whereas the 1 trillion (plus) are bankrupt or only a few months away?

I find that especially interesting

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
..... But you don't find it interesting that the banks and financial institutions are still in business whereas the 1 trillion (plus) are bankrupt or only a few months away?

Where do you get a trillion from that list? I see about 20-25 billion tops. Are you mistaking the $trillion given to the banksters alone?

The biggest difference I see here is that these technology companies might actually produce something of value to humanity whereas the financial sector produces absolutely nothing and merely leeches off society to make a profit.

Just the Facts

House Member
Oct 15, 2004
SW Ontario
Whatever the totals, Romney hit the nail on the head when he suggested the money would have been much better spent investing in pure research, rather than as cash handouts to commercial firms.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
Where do you get a trillion from that list? I see about 20-25 billion tops. Are you mistaking the $trillion given to the banksters alone?

The biggest difference I see here is that these technology companies might actually produce something of value to humanity whereas the financial sector produces absolutely nothing and merely leeches off society to make a profit.

There is the reported number and there is the number(s) that include the tax deductions that are applied to these fraudulent industries.... It adds up fast.

BTW - the only contribution that this tech has made to humanity - especially the American society - is crushing debt that will be mortgaged against the futures of their children, grand children and great grand children.

You wanna blame a sector or individuals on this: Blame the eco-lobbies, Suzuki and Gore - they are the leeches that have banked untold riches at the expense of the gullible

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
Whatever the totals, Romney hit the nail on the head when he suggested the money would have been much better spent investing in pure research, rather than as cash handouts to commercial firms.
Can't argue with that.
There is the reported number and there is the number(s) that include the tax deductions that are applied to these fraudulent industries.... It adds up fast.
Ok , but I don't think it adds up to a trillion bucks. Maybe a generous estimate would be to double the 20 billion in handouts which is a far cry from a trillion.

BTW - the only contribution that this tech has made to humanity - especially the American society - is crushing debt that will be mortgaged against the futures of their children, grand children and great grand children.
You know I look at a company like Ballard Power (inventor of the hydrogen fuel cell) and the potential contribution that invention has to society and then think of how the oil lobby has influenced both the provincial and federal govts to block progress and wonder if the same situation might have affected some of these other companies.
Have you considered how long the mortgage on a trillion bucks to the banksters will take to pay off, if ever?

You wanna blame a sector or individuals on this: Blame the eco-lobbies, Suzuki and Gore - they are the leeches that have banked untold riches at the expense of the gullible
They certainly have become rich(er) and convinced many the sky is falling in the process.

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton

Here you go. I don't make up numbers.

Total Wall Street Bailout Cost - SourceWatch

Do you also find it interesting that you have chosen to gloss over the fact that none of the financial instutitions you refer to would even exist if they had not been saved by government? And that over 1.5 trillion is still owing?

And as I said, and you have chosen to ignore, the largest and most important energy initiatives of the Obama administation are currenltly plowing full steam ahead. And if you can find an example of a major technology intiative in the last half decade or so that has not had at least one or two setbacks until the bugs were worked out I would be very surprised. You could also perhaps consult US history and note that most of the largest technical innovations and achievements in US history received massive support from the US government.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
Can't argue with that.

Ok , but I don't think it adds up to a trillion bucks. Maybe a generous estimate would be to double the 20 billion in handouts which is a far cry from a trillion.

Those tax bennies will go on for years

You know I look at a company like Ballard Power (inventor of the hydrogen fuel cell) and the potential contribution that invention has to society and then think of how the oil lobby has influenced both the provincial and federal govts to block progress and wonder if the same situation might have affected some of these other companies.

It's too bad about Ballard, but to think that oil companies 86-ed Ballard is a little too conspiracy theory for me.

Have you considered how long the mortgage on a trillion bucks to the banksters will take to pay off, if ever?

Here's the fun thing about the money into the renewables..... Gvt (read: the public) ponied-up the dough... No banksters involved whatsoever.

Do you also find it interesting that you have chosen to gloss over the fact that none of the financial instutitions you refer to would even exist if they had not been saved by government? And that over 1.5 trillion is still owing?

Are they paying it?

Funny thing about Solyndra; they aren't paying it back now that they are bankrupt

And as I said, and you have chosen to ignore, the largest and most important energy initiatives of the Obama administation are currenltly plowing full steam ahead. And if you can find an example of a major technology intiative in the last half decade or so that has not had at least one or two setbacks until the bugs were worked out I would be very surprised. You could also perhaps consult US history and note that most of the largest technical innovations and achievements in US history received massive support from the US government.

Too funny. The little setback, as you refer, translates into ineffective technology that is not economical.

A little bit more than a setback, eh?

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
Are they paying it?

Funny thing about Solyndra; they aren't paying it back now that they are bankrupt

Oh, I get it. It's fine to risk trillions of dollars of tax money if there is some chance that it will be repaid. I'm certainly glad to hear that as it justifies the relatively small investment in alternative energy that the US government has made.

Too funny. The little setback, as you refer, translates into ineffective technology that is not economical. A little bit more than a setback, eh?

Is it really all that funny that your remark so closely resembles the "Get a horse." comment directed at the early automobiles? If I recall correctly they didn't work eaither. Come to think of it neither did early steam engines, airplanes, rockets, computers etc. Thank goodness people who are interested in advancing energy technology don't have your limited vision.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB

That was actually directed at CM regarding the money to the tech companies. I am well aware of the trillion plus to the US banksters and the 500-700 billion in Canada that never gets talked about because it was a back-door deal.

I`m pretty sure CM is in the financial sector so probably thinks the bail-outs were a good deal.

Those tax bennies will go on for years
You mean if a company like Bain buys up the bankrupt and then uses outstanding liabilities and negative equity to receive tax deductions? I am admittedly short on knowledge of the US tax code and how long they can use those credits

It's too bad about Ballard, but to think that oil companies 86-ed Ballard is a little too conspiracy theory for me.
My sister worked there and there were certainly some issues with things changing unexpectedly. Nobody could ever find absolute proof but all the employees and mgmt had a pretty good idea. I am not saying they were deep-sixed with specific acts but the road was made very difficult.

Here's the fun thing about the money into the renewables..... Gvt (read: the public) ponied-up the dough... No banksters involved whatsoever.
You would think with $1.5 trillion in govt bail-out money the banks might have ponied up some of the dough but I guess the executive bonuses were far more important than helping humanity.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
Oh, I get it. It's fine to risk trillions of dollars of tax money if there is some chance that it will be repaid.

As far as corporate bailouts are concerned, the answer is yes... Which takes us back to green tech; It has not been able to compete in any fashion anywhere on the globe without gvt subsidies, so the public just keeps on pouring cash down these losers for decades to come.

I'm certainly glad to hear that as it justifies the relatively small investment in alternative energy that the US government has made.

Spare me with the 'relatively small' comment. The billions poured-in in addition to the tax bennies they will get for years (along with the predictable bailouts) will cost a huge amount.

That money could have been directly applied to those that were affected by the housing crisis a few years back.

Is it really all that funny that your remark so closely resembles the "Get a horse." comment directed at the early automobiles? If I recall correctly they didn't work eaither. Come to think of it neither did early steam engines, airplanes, rockets, computers etc. Thank goodness people who are interested in advancing energy technology don't have your limited vision.

The difference?... The private sector took it on the chin while they ironed-out the bugs, not gvt.

You've spent far too much time in one of our cherished entitlement unions, haven't you?

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
How about a complete list of all green-energy companies that were funded including those that succeeded?

Listing only the companies that failed and omitting the ones that succeeded is obvious selective truth propaganda. A much more useful fact to know would be the success or failure "rate". But the point of the article referenced in the OP isn't to inform, but manipulate gullible people.

I suspect you have no idea of the Obama administration's success rate funding green energy companies and are just parroting propaganda from an Obama hate site.

This US election is a battle between the Romney led Republicans who want to turn the US into a tax haven for the wealthy 1% elite at the expense middle class and Obama led Democrats who want to tax the wealthy and improve the lives of 99% of Americans.

The 2012 American election outcome will be determined by stupid people who are too dumb to recognize manipulative propaganda. These poor and middle class people will vote to for Romney and he will enact policies which will make the poor poorer and the wealthy wealthier. It is class warfare and the middle and lower income people are loosing.

Its time for 99% of Americans to "Wake the **** Up!"

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
How about a complete list of all green-energy companies that were funded including those that succeeded?

Go ahead, infact, I'll get you started: Google

Listing only the companies that failed and omitting the ones that succeeded is obvious selective truth propaganda. A much more useful fact to know would be the success or failure "rate". But the point of the article referenced in the OP isn't to inform, but manipulate gullible people.

You'd almost think that Obama would have been singing the praises of all of those successes during one of the 3 debates he was in... Interesting that this didn't happen, eh?

I suspect you have no idea of the Obama administration's success rate funding green energy companies and are just parroting propaganda from an Obama hate site.

Apparently, neither do you (or Obama)

This US election is a battle between the Romney led Republicans who want to turn the US into a tax haven for the wealthy 1% elite at the expense middle class and Obama led Democrats who want to tax the wealthy and improve the lives of 99% of Americans.

Yeah... A real bastion of tax savings where 50% of the population get to be propped-up by the other 50% of those that pay.

A real capitalist utopia

The 2012 American election outcome will be determined by stupid people who are too dumb to recognize manipulative propaganda.

You've just described the Democrat voter base

Its time for 99% of Americans to "Wake the **** Up!"

They're a little busy texting their buddies and playing video games. Besides, there probably aren't that many windows in the basements of their parent's house to let natural light in... It's easy to sleep til noon under those conditions.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
As far as corporate bailouts are concerned, the answer is yes... Which takes us back to green tech; It has not been able to compete in any fashion anywhere on the globe without gvt subsidies, so the public just keeps on pouring cash down these losers for decades to come.
I see a problem with your thinking here. Now from your attitude and reading your posts it is quite clear you are either a banker or broker or the like and probably benefited directly from the govt bail-outs (no other reason anyone would support them) so are most likely highly biased. I am against bail-outs 100%. I wouldn't get one if my business went belly-up neither would 99.9% of the other businesses in Canada so why should anyone get them. The banks should have been allowed to fail, the ceos who lied about valuations etc should all be in jail. Now I am sure you will make the standard argument of "too big to fail" and that is BS. What should have happened was not a bail-out but a take-over by the govt with 100% of the shares divided equally among the citizens. So here is an idea for you. When the govt gives bail-outs it must be in exchange for shares in the company, not to be held in trust by the govt but transferred directly to each & every taxpayer. None of this non-voting stock either, only preferred stock. The bigger the bail-out the more stock the people get and if it winds up that all the stock goes to the public so be it and bye-bye to the execs who ruined the company and bye-bye to their salaries and bonuses.

Spare me with the 'relatively small' comment. The billions poured-in in addition to the tax bennies they will get for years (along with the predictable bailouts) will cost a huge amount.
Best estimates are about $25 trillion globally in bail-out money....everything is relatively small compared to that rescue.

That money could have been directly applied to those that were affected by the housing crisis a few years back.
The money given to the banks could have paid off every defaulted mortgage in the US and Canada and then some. This money would have wound up in the banks anyway as mortgages got paid off. This would have been much more help to the citizens in the housing crisis than giving it directly to the bankers. Difference is of course the bankers wouldn't get the money and still be able to foreclose on 800-900 billion in property to further their profits.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
So far, 36 companies that have received federal support from taxpayers have either gone bankrupt or are laying off workers and are heading for bankruptcy. This list includes only those companies that received federal money from the Obama Administration’s Department of Energy. The amount of money indicated does not reflect how much was actually received or spent but how much was offered. The amount also does not include other state, local, and federal tax credits and subsidies, which push the amount of money these companies have received from taxpayers even higher.

The complete list of faltering or bankrupt green-energy companies:

1. Evergreen Solar ($24 million)*

Well it is not all Obama's fault with Evergreen. His lap dog and Governor of Massachusetts pitched in $600K of state taxpayer money to Evergreen Solar and they closed shop in the state. Afterwards Governor Patrick said it was a good investment and the right move and added that if he had to do it over again he would. Losing $600K is a good investment and the right move to these clowns.

You've just described the Democrat voter base

Exactly! I have never seen such an ignorant voter base in all my life. The fact that a huge portion of the Democrat voter base are lay abouts speaks volumes.

Get your Obama phones!

Original Obamaphone Lady: Obama Voter Says Vote for Obama because he gives a free Phone - YouTube