Millions die from air pollution

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Air pollution occurs naturally, even in the absence of humans. Who cares about respritorilly compromized bunnies?

Oh I almost forgot, there is no such thing as fossil fuels.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Geography has a lot to do with this problem as well.. Los Angeles is surrounded by a mountain range that holds the pollution in a basin.

I wish Canada and the USA would push harder for a Hydrogen Hwy as they have in Norway.. it would help allot.

Fuel-cell car rally opens Norway's hydrogen highway | Reuters

Redmonton_Rebel

Electoral Member
May 13, 2012
There is only one obvious solution to this. Place every possible obstacle in the way of alternative energy.

That would be the sociopathic thing to do, which is fully consistant with modern political and business practices. Why build something for the future when you can kill a whole lot of people now?

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
That would be the sociopathic thing to do, which is fully consistant with modern political and business practices. Why build something for the future when you can kill a whole lot of people now?

Right. I always find it amusing that such feeble objections are made to alternative energy sources; the most frequent one being that it costs more than other sources such as coal fired power plants. However, this is always done without factoring in environmental and health costs that coal-fired plants create. Pumpng tons of mercury into the atmosphere can't be good for anyone.

Cabbagesandking

Council Member
Apr 24, 2012
Ontario
There goes the neighbourhood.

Every year thousands die at work. Should we all stop working because of that?
Every year thousands die from fevered brains. You should rest yours before it gets too hot.

Geography has a lot to do with this problem as well.. Los Angeles is surrounded by a mountain range that holds the pollution in a basin.

I wish Canada and the USA would push harder for a Hydrogen Hwy as they have in Norway.. it would help allot.

Fuel-cell car rally opens Norway's hydrogen highway | Reuters

Geography does have a lot to do with how it spreads. It does not, though, have anything to do with the source.

I call bullsh*t! You may want to differentiate between "cause" and "the straw that broke the camel's back". I'll bet 950 thousand already had severely compromised health, like malnutrition, Aids, dysentry, malaria, etc. etc. etc.

It is not that simple. Even in the city of Toronto, where those maladies are not a factor, the Health authorities clain that up to 1000 die each year from pollution caused illness.

Right. I always find it amusing that such feeble objections are made to alternative energy sources; the most frequent one being that it costs more than other sources such as coal fired power plants. However, this is always done without factoring in environmental and health costs that coal-fired plants create. Pumpng tons of mercury into the atmosphere can't be good for anyone.
Even without the externalities factored in , Wind Power is already cheaper than coal. Most alternatives are now cheaper than new traditional sources of energy.

There is no economic argument to be made any more.