Plants responding to climate change more than thought

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Plants responding to climate change more than thought

Experiments on how plants respond to climate change may have lulled us into a false sense of security by dramatically underestimating the effects.

An analysis of 50 plant studies on four continents has found that shifts in the timing of flowering and leafing in plants due to global warming appear to be much greater than estimated by warming experiments.

"This suggests that predicted ecosystem changes - including continuing advances in the start of spring across much of the globe - may be far greater than current estimates based on data from experiments," says ecologist Elizabeth Wolkovich, now of the University of British Columbia.

Long-term historical records show that many plant species are coming into leaf and flowering earlier, as temperatures have warmed over recent decades.

But Wolkovich and her colleagues found that experiments underpredicted plant phenological responses to temperature by at least four time, when compared to long-term records. These consistently show that leafing and flowering advance, on average, by five to six days per degree Celsius - a finding that's strikingly consistent across species and datasets.

"We found that plant sensitivities to temperature vary with the design of the experiment, with above plant warming producing consistent advances in flowering."

The difference in responses from experiments and long-term records has important consequences for predictions of species diversity, ecosystem services and global models of future change.

"Long-term records appear to be converging on a consistent average response to climate change, but future plant and ecosystem responses to warming may be much higher than previously estimated from experimental data," says Elsa Cleland of UC San Diego.

Plants responding to climate change more than thought | TG Daily

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Even the comments on that site think this is a 'so what' bit.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
What global warming/climate change?
Even the comments on that site think this is a 'so what' bit.
Of course they do. This is fluff.
You mean "floss" don't you???;-)
Nope, just fluff.

Warming experiments underpredict plant phenological responses to climate change

Warming experiments are increasingly relied on to estimate plant responses to global climate change1, 2. For experiments to provide meaningful predictions of future responses, they should reflect the empirical record of responses to temperature variability and recent warming, including advances in the timing of flowering and leafing3, 4, 5. We compared phenology (the timing of recurring life history events) in observational studies and warming experiments spanning four continents and 1,634 plant species using a common measure of temperature sensitivity (change in days per degree Celsius). We show that warming experiments underpredict advances in the timing of flowering and leafing by 8.5-fold and 4.0-fold, respectively, compared with long-term observations. For species that were common to both study types, the experimental results did not match the observational data in sign or magnitude. The observational data also showed that species that flower earliest in the spring have the highest temperature sensitivities, but this trend was not reflected in the experimental data. These significant mismatches seem to be unrelated to the study length or to the degree of manipulated warming in experiments. The discrepancy between experiments and observations, however, could arise from complex interactions among multiple drivers in the observational data, or it could arise from remediable artefacts in the experiments that result in lower irradiance and drier soils, thus dampening the phenological responses to manipulated warming. Our results introduce uncertainty into ecosystem models that are informed solely by experiments and suggest that responses to climate change that are predicted using such models should be re-evaluated.

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/vaop/ncurrent/full/nature11014.html

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Can I now grow a tomato plant in my window in winter or is there still not enough hrs of light in a day?

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
I'm thinking that it will be an excellent idea to develop a large scale plan to construct little tin foil hats for the world's plants... The potential for aliens and spy satellites to read their thoughts is too strong.

Won't some one please think of the children!?

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
I thank you all for your hilarious trolls which prove me correct once again.

:color:

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
I thank you all for your hilarious trolls which prove me correct once again.

:color:

You're welcome, it was really my pleasure.

Now, back to business.... Who comprised the panel to act as the peer review on this issue?

Might I suggest that you recruit a panel of marigolds to act in the aforementioned capacity. I have always found them top be objective, sturdy and quite level headed