darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Monday, January 9, 2012

Cannabis Treatment Threatens Deadly Painkiller Industry

Anthony Gucciardi
Activist Post

Pharmaceutical painkillers are now responsible for more deaths in the United States than heroin and cocaine combined.

These pharmaceuticals are responsible for more than 15,000 deaths conservatively in 2008 alone. With no sign of slowing down, the painkiller industry is becoming wildly popular among Americans — as a result, so is the high rate of painkiller abuse.

Classified as dangerous by the U.S. government, cannabis (even in THC-free form, or free of psychoactive effects) has been identified as a powerful pain reliever in more than 80 peer-reviewed studies.

You may be aware of the fact that marijuana is usually quite high in THC (delta-9 tetrahydrocannabinol), which is the compound responsible for the psychoactive effect of cannabis.

In contrast, it is also low in CBD (cannabidiol) content. Both THC and CBD are known as cannabinoids, however, which interacts with your body in a very unique way.

In fact, cannabinoids are key when it comes to pain relief. While this information alone is enough to shatter the traditional beliefs on government marijuana regulation, the relationship between CBD and THC is even more revealing.

What you may not be familiar with is how CBD has been shown to block the effect of THC in the nervous system. This allows for marijuana to be used with little or no psychoactive effects. Hemp, on the other hand, is high in CBD and low in THC. This is due to the fact that it is bred to maximize its fiber, seeds, and oil. Of course these key properties are what it is most commonly used for.

Trials Indicate Cannabis as an Effective Treatment for Chronic Pain

In a 2011 study published in the British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology, researchers examined the effects of cannabinoids on chronic pain and proper sleep. What they found in their trials challenges federal government claims that cannabis has ‘no accepted medical use’. The researchers conducted 18 trials using cannabinoids in the treatment of chronic pain, and found that cannabinoids demonstrated a significant painkilling effect as well as noticeable improvements in sleep in 15 of trials. Compared, to placebo, the cannabinoids were extremely effective.

Most importantly, there were no adverse effects.

Another study, performed in 2002, reached similar conclusions. Finding cannabis to aid in pain relief as well as quality of sleep, researchers from the McGill University Health Centre stated in summary that cannabis can be used as an effective way of improving pain, mood, and sleep in some patients with chronic pain.

There are many forms of the cannabis plant, many without mind-altering properties, many of which can be utilized without adverse reactions, as detailed in the peer-reviewed research. It is also quite clear that the painkiller industry simply cannot continue to wreak havoc on the lives of many, and a natural alternative must soon emerge to prevent another 15,000 plus deaths this year.

Why is the federal government refusing to admit the medicinal properties of cannabis and the unique ability of this substance to curb pain, insomnia, and impaired mood? This is only one example of how the government decides what is and what is not good for your health.

Medical science also love$ to torture patients of every age. Everything is justified as long as Medicine ensures revenue streams are healthy. The more we suffer and die the healthier Medicine is.
DB

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
The root problem is the privatization of the medical sector. If they had no interest in profiteering, there would be no inclination to stray away from remedies we could achieve in our own backyard.

Science has nothing to do with this. Companies just hijack a reputable idea and stamp it into their mission statement to reap profits first and foremost.

You should have learned this from the organics industry.

Last edited:

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
The root problem is stupidity. Private practice is not obliged to be criminal. How old is the warning about the root of all evil, money? Education for stupidity has been a resounding success. The teaching profession should be purged.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
I have suffered from arthritis for twenty years while the quack who calls himself my doctor is unable to do anything except prescribe new improved junk. There are an awful lot of arthritics in Canada who would love the relief of Cannabis and many of them would literally go to war to get it. What is needed is an organized nation wide army of pain suffering men women and children to take cane heating pads walkers bottles of junk and storm the castles and palaces of our tormentors. I will have no mercy for the pill pushing quacks and neither will granny. They've tortured enough of us and they all fly away this time of year while we suffer and die to keep the fat bastards golfing in the tropics. Give me cannabis or give me death. Last warning evil doers.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006

In a 2011 study published in the British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology, researchers examined the effects of cannabinoids on chronic pain and proper sleep. What they found in their trials challenges federal government claims that cannabis has ‘no accepted medical use’. The researchers conducted 18 trials using cannabinoids in the treatment of chronic pain, and found that cannabinoids demonstrated a significant painkilling effect as well as noticeable improvements in sleep in 15 of trials. Compared, to placebo, the cannabinoids were extremely effective.

Most importantly, there were no adverse effects.

Lots of potential with the cannabinoids, but the bold part just above is rubbish. Follow the link to the study. First, it was a review of clinical trials, the researchers didn't perform any trials themselves. and they were selected trials. they omitted some trials for what reason remains unclear. More to the point however, there were adverse effects, no adverse effects for a phamceutically active drug is pretty much impossible. Read for yourself, right from the abstract;

There's no need to lie about this, the adverse effects were relatively mild. Do you think they would be so liberal with their interpretations if the studies were conducted by say Pfizer or J&J? Doubtful.

Rubbish science journalism, we can always count on you DB.

Heh, found the actual paper, here's the section on adverse events:

3.4Drug related adverse effects
There were no serious adverse events according to the Health Canada definition
described above and in Table 1, The most common adverse events consisted of sedation,
dizziness, dry mouth, nausea and disturbances in concentration. Other adverse events
included poor coordination, ataxia, headache, paranoid thinking, agitation, dissociation,
euphoria and dysphoria. Adverse effects were generally described as well tolerated,
transient or mild to moderate and not leading to withdrawal from the study. This is a
significant difference from the withdrawal rates seen in studies of other analgesics such
as opioids where the rates of abandoning treatment are in the range of 33% [35]. Except
where specifically noted in the Table there was no specific mention of whether adverse
effects caused limitations in function. The most severe treatment related event in the
entire sample was a fractured leg related to a fall that was thought to be related to
dizziness [29]. Details regarding specific trials are presented in Table 1.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
Perhaps I'm being somewhat naive, but I don't think that cannabis measures up to that of Percoset. Although I will agree that we need to find more effective less addictive pain management drugs, especially for chronic pain.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
You just hate old people Tonington. We should just suffer while big pharma poisons the lot of us. We should wait for conclusive scientific proof. Granny is having a fit flailing her walker off the walls and spewing a stream of foulness in your direction.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Perhaps I'm being somewhat naive, but I don't think that cannabis measures up to that of Percoset.

No, but it also doesn't appear to have the same nasty side effects either. They aren't even looking at cannabinoids for treatment of acute pain, like a doctor would prescribe Percocet for. Pain treatment is woefully lagging in the medical field, and more options are a good thing. Better training would help too. My fiance get's more training in pain management as a vet student than a med student does.

You just hate old people Tonington.

No, I hate sloppy inaccurate writing.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
The one side effect to my disadvantage - that of having to visit by night people with whom I wouldn't associate by day - is non-uniform quality product ... some of which can cause heart palpitations and mess with the heart meds. I have discussed it with my doc.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Perhaps I'm being somewhat naive, but I don't think that cannabis measures up to that of Percoset. Although I will agree that we need to find more effective less addictive pain management drugs, especially for chronic pain.

That depends. Percocet is hard on the stomach. Biggest problem with cannabis is the wild fluctuations in quality, eve when you know the grower or get forced to buy from a different grower. Good for mild to moderate back pain and arthritis. For more severe pain mild forms of opiates work well.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
That depends. Percocet is hard on the stomach. Biggest problem with cannabis is the wild fluctuations in quality, eve when you know the grower or get forced to buy from a different grower. Good for mild to moderate back pain and arthritis. For more severe pain mild forms of opiates work well.

Once pharmaceuticals start manufacturing the pills, quality won't be an issue.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Pot is a herbal remedy. Isolating THC in pill form has proven to be useless. Pharmaceutical companies are not going to make pills from pot if they can't patent it so I doubt very much that we will ever see that. There are reputable herbal companies who would do a far better job of quality control.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Pot is a herbal remedy.

So? Lots of herbal medications are taken orally.

Isolating THC in pill form has proven to be useless.
Not according to the review article linked to in DB's post. By the way, it's not just THC. There are plethora of compounds in cannabis with pharmacokinetic effects.

Pharmaceutical companies are not going to make pills from pot if they can't patent it so I doubt very much that we will ever see that.
Just because the source is a plant doesn't mean it can't be patented. Drug design can include slight modifications so that the ligand bonds more tightly to the target. Pain medication is a big value item, I wouldn't discount pharmaceutical involvement.

In fact, there are already products derived from THC being sold by pharmaceuticals:
Tetrahydrocannabinol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There are reputable herbal companies who would do a far better job of quality control.
That's simply your bias. Any company that manufactures drugs has to adhere to manufacturing practices including stringent quality control and quality assurance. Do you have any objective evidence of herbal remedy manufacturers quality control standards exceeding say, Good Manufacturing Practice guidelines that are mandatory for pharmaceutical companies?

I suspect you don't.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
Have you ever listened closely to the tv ads for these miracles in modern pharmacuticals. They always quickly and quietly list dozens of side effects right up to and including death. No need to worry though, the pharmacy companies have another pill to sell you to control the side effects....

This is the inherent problem with todays health care...there is always another pill to sell you and the doctors are getting big perks from the pharma corps to get you to buy them.

I prefer to use remedies that have been around for 1000's of years and are natural.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Wife's dad is a herbologist. he says herbal remedies are fine if you get them from decent sources and those decent sources can warn you if one might interact with another herbal remedy to cause harm. He also says if you have had trouble with some body part or other in the past and acquire another, taking a herbal remedy for the 2nd ailment can exaggerate the 1st ailment or bring it back.
Herbal remedies are fine if you know what you are doing (or your herbologist does), are in reasonable decent condition, and don't require acute treatment for an acute condition.
Pharmocologically, Joe Lunchbox hearing about weed X curing his ailment Y and taking weed X for it without knowing what else may be happening is about the same as someone with a cold popping into a drugstore and picking a drug off a shelf without knowing what the effects may be.
Some natural herbal remedies can cause a lot of natural grief.

lol I have nothing against pot, but I am pretty sure that a lot of people have climbed aboard the "medical pot" train simply as an excuse to justify getting high.

Last edited:

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006

Quality is already not an issue with pharmaceuticals the vast majority of synthetics do not work as advertized or cause side effects, but the quality is consistent. Of course the only quality that really counts is the cash flow, if that's working settling out of court holds down the adverse noise.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
I prefer to use remedies that have been around for 1000's of years and are natural.

Yes, well people are no longer dieing from diseases that would have killed 1000 years ago. Tried and tested methods are nice, but do you want to die at the age of thirty from a preventable disease, or from a condition that today can be treated? Would you have died already (greater than 30)?

What would have happened to someone with MS?

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
Yes, well people are no longer dieing from diseases that would have killed 1000 years ago. Tried and tested methods are nice, but do you want to die at the age of thirty from a preventable disease, or from a condition that today can be treated? Would you have died already (greater than 30)?

What would have happened to someone with MS?

I'm not saying there isn't a place for certain medications, I take periot on a daily basis, but it seems there is a pill for everything today and that is the first choice of remedy for most doctors when often something simple and natural will suffice. For example my doc offered me a pill for the swelling in my knee but that pill affected the stomach so there was another pill to go with it at a cost of about $75 total. Instead I used a combination of heat/ice and gentle massage with tiger balm and it was fine in a couple of days.

When I get a cold I don't run out and buy pills, I take vitamin c and ginseng with plenty of fluid and seem to fair better than those on the drugs.

We have become too reliant upon pharmaceuticals to deal with minor and common ailments all to the joy of the stockholders.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
Hemp to the Rescue Again – Cannabinoids Protect the Brain from Oxygen Starvation

User Rating:
/ 0
PoorBest
Category: Food&Health Created on 29 April 2013 Written by Christina Sarich Hits: 32
In a recent study published in the American Journal of Pathology, the active compound cortical cannabiboid type 2 (CB2) and the receptor cannabinoid trans-caryophyllene (TC) helps keep the brain and heart oxygenated instead of suffocating on plaques and congested arteries. Specifically, it was found that these compounds can spark recovery among ischemic brain injury patients.
There are three types of cannabinoid receptors in mammals: one set is contained in the ligands of the human body, cannadinoids such as THC are produced by the Cannabis plant, and synthetically created cannabinoids (like HU-120). The two subtypes of cannabinoids (CB1 and CB2) are of interest to those who have brain ischemia – a condition when high cholesterol and other plaques form on the inner walls of arteries or in cerebral tissue and keep oxygen from reaching the vital organs of the brain and heart.
Without any psychoactive side effects, the TC oil derived from Cannabis Sativa was very effective at protecting the brain from ischemia o

Hemp to the Rescue Again – Cannabinoids Protect the Brain from Oxygen Starvation

User Rating:
/ 0
PoorBest
Category: Food&Health Created on 29 April 2013 Written by Christina Sarich Hits: 32
In a recent study published in the American Journal of Pathology, the active compound cortical cannabiboid type 2 (CB2) and the receptor cannabinoid trans-caryophyllene (TC) helps keep the brain and heart oxygenated instead of suffocating on plaques and congested arteries. Specifically, it was found that these compounds can spark recovery among ischemic brain injury patients.
There are three types of cannabinoid receptors in mammals: one set is contained in the ligands of the human body, cannadinoids such as THC are produced by the Cannabis plant, and synthetically created cannabinoids (like HU-120). The two subtypes of cannabinoids (CB1 and CB2) are of interest to those who have brain ischemia – a condition when high cholesterol and other plaques form on the inner walls of arteries or in cerebral tissue and keep oxygen from reaching the vital organs of the brain and heart.
Without any psychoactive side effects, the TC oil derived from Cannabis Sativa was very effective at protecting the brain from ischemia o