Yukon coroner: Woman attacked by bear was killed by bullet


spaminator
#1
Yukon coroner: Woman attacked by bear was killed by bullet
THE CANADIAN PRESS
First posted: Thursday, December 24, 2015 11:06 AM EST | Updated: Thursday, December 24, 2015 01:54 PM EST
WHITEHORSE -- A Yukon coroner's report has found a bullet, not a bear, killed a woman who was being attacked by a grizzly near Johnsons Crossing, 120 kilometres southeast of Whitehorse.
It began when a bear pushed out the front window at Claudia Huber's home in October 2014, then chased her and her husband Matthias Liniger around their living room.
Chief Coroner Kirsten Macdonald said in her report that the pair was forced out of the house, and ended up hiding in separate vehicles. When Huber made a break for the other vehicle, the bear attacked and dragged her into the woods.
"The bear was acting in a predatory manner, likely considering the family dog as potential prey," the report said.
"The bear likely switched his focus from the dog to Ms. Huber as she exited the vehicle."
Macdonald's report said the bear was jumping on the hood of the SUV where Huber was hiding. When the animal started to run away, she tried to reach the other vehicle where her husband was hiding because she had the keys for the ignition. The bear quickly turned around and caught her.
By the time Liniger returned with a rifle, the bear had dragged Huber 20 metres across a creek and was standing on top of her when Liniger fired several rounds. It didn't die and Liniger had to return to the house to get more ammunition before finally killing the bear.
One of those shots deflected from a nearby tree and hit Huber in the chest, killing her, the report concluded.
Macdonald said the attack shows that more education is needed, both to reduce human food accessible by bears and to teach people how to deal with different types of bear encounters.
She said school children should be taught how to interpret bear behaviour and what actions should be taken depending on that conduct. Huber played dead, the report noted, one of many suggested responses in a bear attack.
"However, because the attack on Ms. Huber was predatory in nature, it unfortunately wasn't the correct response in this incident. A predatory attack requires the victim to fight back against the bear."
The male bear was estimated to be 38 years old and weighed 170 kilograms. A necropsy later showed it was in poor condition, but not emaciated. There was no evidence of underlying disease, which sometimes explains uncharacteristic predatory behaviour.
The necropsy also found a poker chip stuck to its fur. Investigators later discovered the same bear had ransacked a local hunting camp about 24 km from the Huber home, where the animal found a significant amount of human food.
A container of glue and poker chips matching the one stuck to the bear were found spread around the cabin.
The report said those who own cabins and rural properties need to be aware of what can happen if food is available to animals.
"Education regarding closing camps up for the season and the importance of removing attractants both inside and outside cabins is needed."
A Facebook photo of Claudia Huber with her husband Matthias Liniger. (Facebook)

Yukon coroner: Woman attacked by bear was killed by bullet | Canada | News | Tor
 
B00Mer
#2
Probably put her out of her misery.
 
MHz
+1
#3  Top Rated Post
Feeling any pain Bloomer?? Obviously the bear grabbed the gun and shot her to make it easier to attack her. Bears are smart in areas like that.
 
B00Mer
#4
Quote: Originally Posted by MHzView Post

Feeling any pain Bloomer?? Obviously the bear grabbed the gun and shot her to make it easier to attack her. Bears are smart in areas like that.

Wow, you're lacking breakfast, you're showing your stupidity this morning..

The husband shot at the bear, hit a tree and ricochet off and hit the woman.. put her out of her misery.

After being dragged by a bear, then it standing on her... I'm sure her was in a lot of pain.
 
MHz
#5
Your coke pour out into a line???
You sound like you are in a lot of pain. If anything the husband tripped rather than taking aim at the bear.
 
B00Mer
#6
Quote: Originally Posted by MHzView Post

Your coke pour out into a line???
You sound like you are in a lot of pain. If anything the husband tripped rather than taking aim at the bear.

Maybe you should try reading the article, before you show your stupidity.

Quote:

By the time Liniger returned with a rifle, the bear had dragged Huber 20 metres across a creek and was standing on top of her when Liniger fired several rounds. It didn't die and Liniger had to return to the house to get more ammunition before finally killing the bear.

One of those shots deflected from a nearby tree and hit Huber in the chest, killing her, the report concluded.

 
MHz
#7
So he shoots at the bear and hits a tree, is that before or after the reload. Perhaps he shot her and waited until the bear had mauled the body and then he shot the bear. The mark in the tree would show where the bullet would have gone, seems like an unlikely, but timely, shot. Makes JFK all the more believable.
Idiots are the only ones that pay attention to you anymore. Didn't you notice??
 
B00Mer
#8
Quote: Originally Posted by MHzView Post

Idiots are the only ones that pay attention to you anymore. Didn't you notice??

You seem to be paying a lot of attention to me this morning..

You must be a really BIG idiot.
 
darkbeaver
+1
#9
Christmas is a day of Peace and Goodwill you *******s.
 
B00Mer
+1
#10
Quote: Originally Posted by darkbeaverView Post

Christmas is a day of Peace and Goodwill you *******s.

 
lone wolf
#11
Quote: Originally Posted by B00MerView Post

You seem to be paying a lot of attention to me this morning..

You must be a really BIG idiot.

You ... uh ... like the taste of toe jam?
 
MHz
#12
Thankfully somebody noticed bloomers fantastic control of the English language. lol
 

Similar Threads

4
Woman killed by bear at Suncor
by JLM | May 8th, 2014
no new posts