What do you call this ?

charlesbb
I'm studying English and I have a question :
What do you call a person who is too face-saving , he can never take criticisms , he hates being commented and he gets mad whenever people point out his mistakes ?

Give me a common word to call this kind of person please !

Machjo
Hard-headed, stubborn, bullheaded?

Here are more:

Stubborn Synonyms, Stubborn Antonyms | Thesaurus.com (external - login to view)

I hope you find the word you're looking for.

Stretch
Quote: Originally Posted by charlesbbView Post

What do you call a person who is too face-saving , he can never take criticisms , he hates being commented and he gets mad whenever people point out his mistakes ?

human

charlesbb
Quote: Originally Posted by MachjoView Post

Hard-headed, stubborn, bullheaded?

Here are more:

Stubborn Synonyms, Stubborn Antonyms | Thesaurus.com (external - login to view)

I hope you find the word you're looking for.

I don't think stubborn is the right word because the person is over self-respecting and I don't know how to describe but he's really really incompetent but he doesn't want other people to point that out .

Chev
I know what word you're looking for, just can't 'spit it out' just yet.... Thinking.....

Cliffy
Only an insecure person cannot take criticism. Insecurity is behind bullying and displays of egotism, bragging, angry outbursts. Just because someone is aggressive doesn't necessarily mean they are confident. Usually it is a smoke screen to cover up what is really going on.

Chev
I was thinking more along the lines of "nobody can tell me I'm wrong". Just can't think of the word.

charlesbb
Quote: Originally Posted by ChevView Post

I was thinking more along the lines of "nobody can tell me I'm wrong". Just can't think of the word.

yer it's really close to that , Nobody can tell him wrong and he's afraid of facing his weakness !

YukonJack
charlesbb wondered:

"What do you call a person who is too face-saving , he can never take criticisms , he hates being commented and he gets mad whenever people point out his mistakes ?"

The answer is obvious: BARAK HUSSAIN OBAMA.

Or on a much, much lower level, SirJosephPorter.

hermite
I call him Dave. Maybe the word you're looking for is narcissistic.

weaselwords
Try curmudgeon (usually associated with men past their prime)

Curiosity
CharlesbbSensitive - Overly-sensitive or Insecure (mentioned before).If it a personal insult, he/she could be quite normal and have a valid reaction of anger.

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by ChevView Post

immature, egotistical.

Quote: Originally Posted by YukonJackView Post

charlesbb wondered:

"What do you call a person who is too face-saving , he can never take criticisms , he hates being commented and he gets mad whenever people point out his mistakes ?"

I'm far too nice of a person to be able to agree with your second choice................

Quote: Originally Posted by YukonJackView Post

charlesbb wondered:

You're going to get the mods just p*ssed right off at you............

karrie
arrogant

lone wolf
My ex....

charlesbb
Quote: Originally Posted by weaselwordsView Post

Try curmudgeon (usually associated with men past their prime)

Curmudgeons are not always incompetent and self centered

Quote: Originally Posted by CuriosityView Post

CharlesbbSensitive - Overly-sensitive or Insecure (mentioned before).If it a personal insult, he/she could be quite normal and have a valid reaction of anger.

Hey , overly-sensitive sounds correct ! I like that .

Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

immature, egotistical.

immature : totally agree
egotistical : maybe

Quote: Originally Posted by karrieView Post

arrogant

for sure

Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolfView Post

My ex....

sorry to hear that

wulfie68
Quote: Originally Posted by charlesbbView Post

I'd call him an idiot but thats just my personal philosophy: how can you improve yourself if you don't acknowledge the shortcomings that others see in you? They aren't always necessarily right but to assess if they are, you need to know.

Now to use a generic term, Curiosity's choices of "overly sensitive" or "insecure" work. I might call them "touchy" too.

JLM
Then there are the variety whose description would fit well under the heading "SH*T DON'T STINK"- perhaps if you look long and hard you may come across examples here.....

Curiosity
charlesbbThere are some instances when a person is rebuked or insulted by another with words or deeds hurtful to them. In that case any normal person would feel anger or hurt if it was unjustified challenge.

talloola
'disrespectful' of others opinions.
'unwilling to learn'

but, it must be pointed out, that constantly pointing out others
mistakes also makes 'you' a person who needs a 'title'. lol

Bar Sinister
From the Free Online Dictionary

Adj.1.thin-skinned - quick to take offense huffy (external - login to view), touchy (external - login to view), feisty (external - login to view)
sensitive (external - login to view) - being susceptible to the attitudes, feelings, or circumstances of others; "sensitive to the local community and its needs"

karrie
Bar Sinister, that doesn't really apply since it defines it as being in regards to others and the community, not in regard to oneself.

'Deluded' might apply.

Bar Sinister
I have no idea what you are talking about. You seem to be responding to the antonym in the definition.

Thin-skinned: quick to take offense huffy, touchy, feisty fits perfectly. Sensitive was meant to illustrate the opposite.
(external - login to view)

Chev
defensive, maybe

sombraa110
ignorant.

karrie
Quote: Originally Posted by Bar SinisterView Post

I have no idea what you are talking about. You seem to be responding to the antonym in the definition.

Thin-skinned: quick to take offense huffy, touchy, feisty fits perfectly. Sensitive was meant to illustrate the opposite.
(external - login to view)

since when are thin-skinned and sensitive opposites of one another? my apologies but your post looked precisely like you were highlighting sensitive as one you really liked for the 'job'.

Curiosity
This query has led me to wonder what a good word would be for the "deliverer" of insult.Are they insecure, lacking in empathy for others, lacking in knowledge, or basically rude/crude?

JLM

This query has led me to wonder what a good word would be for the "deliverer" of insult.Are they insecure, lacking in empathy for others, lacking in knowledge, or basically rude/crude?

"Rude" pretty well covers it, Curiosity. Cheeky, insolent, indelicate would be others.

Curiosity
Hi JLM - I often wonder why people choose to lead with a sword - it solves nothing, it disarms another from entering into an interesting discussion and comes off to readers as neanderthal. Yet people engage this type of response all the time - and it doesn't lend itself to discussion which is the purpose of a forum isn't it?

JLM

Hi JLM - I often wonder why people choose to lead with a sword - it solves nothing, it disarms another from entering into an interesting discussion and comes off to readers as neanderthal. Yet people engage this type of response all the time - and it doesn't lend itself to discussion which is the purpose of a forum isn't it?

The forum is probably fairly close to a cross Section of society. Some have a chip on their shoulder, some of it justified and others are so used to being persecuted and put down that they take the offensive position. Then there's others who have to control things (they haven't yet learned that in life you can only control yourself- no one has control over other people (unless they are very rich) Then there's the "salesman" who insist on trying to "sell" something long after it's been made clear no one wants it. Then there's the rest of us who just like to exchange ideas, learn something and enjoy the camaraderie. My approach is to try to start out being nice, and if someone doesn't like that you can always turn nasty later. One thing for certain, no one has all the answers. Anyway that's my take on the subject.