Want to know about Canada

xJOEOCONNORx

Feb 23, 2010
Sorry if I have put this in the wrong place, but I am just trying to get it done before I go to bed!

Basicaly, I live in New Zealand, Im in my last year of school, Im a 17yr old male, and I want to live in Canada. I want to be a Camera Operator for News, Sports and any other types of Cinematography. I do BMX, and Trials biking.
Can people tell me ALL that I should know about migrating to Canada?
I think that Montreal is the place that I want to be, its cheap (So I read!), multicutural, not too big and looks beutiful!

Any help will be EXTREMELY appreciated.

Thanks heaps,
Joe

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Sorry if I have put this in the wrong place, but I am just trying to get it done before I go to bed!

Basicaly, I live in New Zealand, Im in my last year of school, Im a 17yr old male, and I want to live in Canada. I want to be a Camera Operator for News, Sports and any other types of Cinematography. I do BMX, and Trials biking.
Can people tell me ALL that I should know about migrating to Canada?
I think that Montreal is the place that I want to be, its cheap (So I read!), multicutural, not too big and looks beutiful!

Any help will be EXTREMELY appreciated.

Thanks heaps,
Joe

Montreal- not too big!!!!!!!!!!!!! Until about 10 years ago the biggest city in Canada- population of about three million.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
xJOECONNORx, keep in mind before you immigrate to Canada, that the centre-piece of the Canadian flag is RED maple leaf.

Based on my 52 autumns in Canada, a red maple leaf is DEAD maple leaf.

xJOEOCONNORx

Feb 23, 2010
Montreal, eh? How is your French? You might try checking this site. Immigrating to Canada
BTW don't just try showing up here. Contact the Canadian embassy in New Zealand first.
My French is very bad. Will check out the link thanks.
Montreal- not too big!!!!!!!!!!!!! Until about 10 years ago the biggest city in Canada- population of about three million.
Thats ok, as long as its not the biggest city.
xJOECONNORx, keep in mind before you immigrate to Canada, that the centre-piece of the Canadian flag is RED maple leaf.

?

cdarro

Nominee Member
Feb 13, 2010
Alberta
You'll be fine in Montreal. Though it's a predominantly a french-speaking city, english is spoken widely, though there are only three english-language TV stations AFAIK. But don't look for a Canadian embassy in your country, you won't find one. As we're both members of the Commonwealth, relations are carried on through a High Commisioner, not Ambassador. And I have no idea what YukonJack is talking about either. But then I only have 51 autumns here.

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
You'll be fine in Montreal. Though it's a predominantly a french-speaking city, english is spoken widely, though there are only three english-language TV stations AFAIK. But don't look for a Canadian embassy in your country, you won't find one. As we're both members of the Commonwealth, relations are carried on through a High Commisioner, not Ambassador. And I have no idea what YukonJack is talking about either. But then I only have 51 autumns here.
You won't find one English sign in the place, so if he can't read french, he is SOL.
And English is not spoken widely, only in certain areas of the city.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net

Acer rubrum (AKA red maple) is a very common tree in Canada:

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
You won't find one English sign in the place, so if he can't read french, he is SOL.
And English is not spoken widely, only in certain areas of the city.

Is Quebec not obligated to comply with the Charter? Being that Pierre was a Quebecker I woud find it amazing if it doesn't.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Things might be changing now, but check this out:
CBC News - Canada - Speaking out: Quebec's debate over language laws

I know that all highway and street signs are french only. I passed through there last summer.

I find it all very astounding. We have a Charter (which as one poster keeps saying is the "best thing since sliced bread") and yet it apparently can't even ensure a person right to erect a sign of "their choosing" - would this not somehow violate the right of "free speech" or is speech just limited to utterings from the mouth?

cdarro

Nominee Member
Feb 13, 2010
Alberta
Quebec is the only province that has taken advantage of S.33 of the Charter, the notwithstanding clause. It basically allows Parliament or a provincial legislature to nullify certain rights "guaranteed" for a renewable period of up to five years.

And I've never had a problem being a unilingual anglophone in Montreal. Was last there 2 years ago. We were in Longeuil, Vaudreil and somewhere in the north end within view of the Olympic Stadium.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008

What does that mean? You sound like some weird spy trying to give a message in code!!!8O

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
This is Canada the charter of rights is a charter of convenience when it comes to Quebec. You don't want to live there if you are interesting in the performing arts.
Try Vancouver, there are all kinds of programs and animation programming in
that Province. Ontario is another location to consider. The size of the this place
is overwhelming compared to many parts of the world. The place is cold in the
winter and hot in the summer. If you are looking for mild winters with more rain
than snow, the west coast is the place. If you want 40 below and clear skies
go to Saskatchewan. Lots of snow and unpredictable temperatures then try
Toronto or Quebec. If you want to go to Quebec you need to speak French to
make a go of it. Yes they speak some English but French is the language of the
day to day world. Western Canada is the future though, as the evolution of the
country is ever changing.

xJOEOCONNORx

Feb 23, 2010
This is Canada the charter of rights is a charter of convenience when it comes to Quebec. You don't want to live there if you are interesting in the performing arts.
Try Vancouver, there are all kinds of programs and animation programming in
that Province. Ontario is another location to consider. The size of the this place
is overwhelming compared to many parts of the world. The place is cold in the
winter and hot in the summer. If you are looking for mild winters with more rain
than snow, the west coast is the place. If you want 40 below and clear skies
go to Saskatchewan. Lots of snow and unpredictable temperatures then try
Toronto or Quebec. If you want to go to Quebec you need to speak French to
make a go of it. Yes they speak some English but French is the language of the
day to day world. Western Canada is the future though, as the evolution of the
country is ever changing.
Ok thanks,
I want hot summers and cold winters, almost both the extremes, I like snow and DONT like rain haha.
I guess that Quebec wont be any good then with my lack of French and all.
Vancouver would be the next place to go then, How expensive is the cost of living there?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Ok thanks,
I want hot summers and cold winters, almost both the extremes, I like snow and DONT like rain haha.
Vancouver would be the next place to go then, How expensive is the cost of living there?

If you like progressive big cities- Calgary could be your town- pop. over a million now, or Edmonton pop. close to one million. Calgary is getting to the point where it is almost "the capital" of Western Canada. There's a wide spectrum of people there too, many very very friendly and some with their noses so high in the air they have trouble getting enough oxygen.

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
Ok thanks,

Vancouver is the most expensive city in Canada and it rains most of the winter although there are mountains nearby. Calgary and Edmonton are nice but very cold in the winter. Montreal is not as french as is made out here although french would be an asset there but the skiing is good in the region. Toronto is nice but it is the biggest city in Canada and not all that cheap.

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
Vancouver is the most expensive city in Canada and it rains most of the winter although there are mountains nearby. Calgary and Edmonton are nice but very cold in the winter. Montreal is not as french as is made out here although french would be an asset there but the skiing is good in the region. Toronto is nice but it is the biggest city in Canada and not all that cheap.
When was the last time you were in montreal?