On Becoming a Canadian. . .

stephenwegmann

Dec 29, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Hey!

I'm from Atlanta GA and it is, to tell you the truth, really horrid. I'm thinking of leaving, actualy - so I had a few questions. I've been reading all the "Living and Working in Canada"-type books but still cant find some straight answers. . .

How hard is it to become a citizen?: What do they want you to do (or have done) to meet the requirments to do so - mainly regarding your occupation, etc.

Also, I was thinking of moving to Montreal: I know this question pops up everywhere but how much French do you really have to know? That is, if you don't speak it at all - just basic or what?

And one last question: I know that in America, if you're an illegal immigrant you can find a job faster than (insert something unbelievably fast) -- is the same true about Canada? I am not saying I would do such a thing I was just wondering because no book is going to say "Yeah! It's so easy!"

I might have more questions but anyone at all in advance, thanks for your help.

Northboy

Electoral Member
Hey!

I'm from Atlanta GA and it is, to tell you the truth, really horrid. I'm thinking of leaving, actualy - so I had a few questions. I've been reading all the "Living and Working in Canada"-type books but still cant find some straight answers. . .

How hard is it to become a citizen?: What do they want you to do (or have done) to meet the requirments to do so - mainly regarding your occupation, etc.

Also, I was thinking of moving to Montreal: I know this question pops up everywhere but how much French do you really have to know? That is, if you don't speak it at all - just basic or what?

And one last question: I know that in America, if you're an illegal immigrant you can find a job faster than (insert something unbelievably fast) -- is the same true about Canada? I am not saying I would do such a thing I was just wondering because no book is going to say "Yeah! It's so easy!"

I might have more questions but anyone at all in advance, thanks for your help.

The first question is what do you do? If you have specific skills, you might be better off to take advantage of the guest worker program announced for the Western Provinces where they are currently short thousands of skilled workers...
Next question is do you like winter? as the high paying work is generally in the northern part of the country..
Can't tell you much about Montreal, other than its probably the one eastern city that I could live in...

stephenwegmann

Dec 29, 2006
Atlanta, GA
The first question is what do you do? If you have specific skills, you might be better off to take advantage of the guest worker program announced for the Western Provinces where they are currently short thousands of skilled workers...
Next question is do you like winter? as the high paying work is generally in the northern part of the country..
Can't tell you much about Montreal, other than its probably the one eastern city that I could live in...

I'm going to (go to) school for film; working as a camera operator preferably. It's not the most needed skill in the world - and I love winter, and I love bears, so I'm good for lumber work.

Northboy

Electoral Member
I'm going to (go to) school for film; working as a camera operator preferably. It's not the most needed skill in the world - and I love winter, and I love bears, so I'm good for lumber work.

Check out Banff Centre for the fine Arts and Selkirk College in Nelson, BC for this kind of training in the West...Montreal is definately a cultural centre, but so is Toronto and Vancouver for media.

For industrial film work, such as training videos, etc., check out NAIT college in Alberta and BCIT in Vancouver.

If you want to build a grub stake, check out Canada Manpower in Fort McMurray, Alberta, Edmonton or Calgary , Fort St. John,BC or even Prince George, BC...Vancouver's beautiful but you can't make any real money there....too expensive to live vs. what you're paid...

Forestry is fine for those already in it, but tough to stay gainfully employed with the slowdown in the US markets...Oil and Gas, mining, construction a better bet at the moment.. There will be a lot of capital projects coming up from pipelines to biofuel refineries, as well as civic infrastructure....I can only speak for the West....The East is a different economy...

Gonzo

Electoral Member
Dec 5, 2004
Was Victoria, now Ottawa
I know that Vancouver has a great films studies course.
If you want to work as a camera operator, Vancouver or Toronto are your best choices. More films are done there then anywhere else in Canada, or the United States.