Coming to Canada

farazthambi
hello every one, i am faraz from india i am coming to centennial college for advance diploma in international business
i am planning to come to toronto by august 24, i am part of a group of five(four male 1female) and looking for a three bed room house or a flat
could any one help me on that
and also wht is the climate and every thing else, for a new student coming to study
my campus name is Progress Avenue and located at 941 Progress Avenue, Toronto (Scarborough), Ontario, Canada M1G 3T8 (east of Markham Road and just south of Hwy 401).

i would like to know how is the college repute.

FiveParadox
Hello, farazthambi!

Welcome to Canadian Content. Should you ever need anything, I would be happy to assist you in any way I can—or, you can contact one of our great Administrators or Moderators.

Unfortunately, I can't be of any help to you—I live in the Province of British Columbia. Nonetheless, I hope you enjoy your stay in Canada, and I hope you will check back here, from time to time, and inform us as to what you think of our nation. Good luck in university!

Yours sincerely,

Christopher Girodat
(a.k.a., FiveParadox)

Simpleton
Quote: Originally Posted by FiveParadox

Hello, farazthambi!

Welcome to Canadian Content. Should you ever need anything, I would be happy to assist you in any way I can—or, you can contact one of our great Administrators or Moderators.

Unfortunately, I can't be of any help to you—I live in the Province of British Columbia. Nonetheless, I hope you enjoy your stay in Canada, and I hope you will check back here, from time to time, and inform us as to what you think of our nation. Good luck in university!

Yours sincerely,

Christopher Girodat
(a.k.a., FiveParadox)

Ditto what Five said.

Graeme
I can help you with a good bit of that.

First Centennial College is a perfectly fine college, I didn't know they had an exchange program but it doesn't suprise me. I believe Centennial also has an agreement with University of Toronto (a world renouned university) to offer joint programs. I don't know specifically about centennial colleges business programs, but I would assume they are on par with all other canadian college business programs.

College here means more hands on "practical" learning. While you will still learn economic, business, marketing, and orginizational theory, there will be a large emphisis on how to actually go about doing the various things for a real business.

(next post we will talk about the weather)

Graeme
Here is a climate graph showing rain fall and temperature in Toronto year round (starting Janurary)

if you work in Degrees F then (C * 9/5) +32 (-10=14, 0=32, 20=6

Simpleton
Quote: Originally Posted by Graeme

Here is a climate graph showing rain fall and temperature in Toronto year round (starting Janurary)

if you work in Degrees F then (C * 9/5) +32 (-10=14, 0=32, 20=6

Now that's what I like, a man with a penchant for graphs.

Man, it's hot here.

Graeme
Now about housing.. First you will probably be on a STUDENT VISA, which means you ARE NOT ALLOWED TO WORK HERE!!!!!!!

If you do want to work here you MUST apply for a WORK VISA as well (This may not be easy to get, you were probably told when you got your VISA that you must have enough money to survive and pay for all expenses when you come. I am sure they gave you an amount to budget for. My QUICK estimate would be about 1200/month PLUS tuition, books, and entertainment. I think that would allow you to live in a nice enough place and have more than enough for food.

If you are living as a group (shared accomodation and food) I am sure you can cut that down a good bit. I have survived on much less during college.

Your books will be between $80-$200 although it is VERY unlikely you will have any over $150. You can generally buy used books for about 75% the new price or even 50% if you buy them from previous students of the course.

HOUSING...

I just checked out the centennial website and I saw they have a lot of support for international students.

Those support services include housing. There are residences on campus but they will be expensive. To get information on that you can contact the school, WHILE it will be a little more expensive it may be a good idea for the first year you are here.

If you would like to find off campus housing than go to
places4students.com

www.places4students.com/place...sp?schoolid=31 (external - login to view)

or try and call the university they may have someone on staff who can help you rent a whole house.

You should easily be able to find a place for around $500/Bedroom Maybe $400

Here is a link to our real-estate listings with properties for rent in the nearby area of the college

www.mls.ca/PropertyResults.as...fAreaID%3d6368 (external - login to view)

Graeme
I would suggest going to page 12 of that link I listed it has a house listed for 1800/month 4 bedroom (you can probably find somewhere to put the 5th person)

mappleleafs
Quote: Originally Posted by farazthambiView Post

hello every one, i am faraz from india i am coming to centennial college for advance diploma in international business
i am planning to come to toronto by august 24, i am part of a group of five(four male 1female) and looking for a three bed room house or a flat
could any one help me on that
and also wht is the climate and every thing else, for a new student coming to study
my campus name is Progress Avenue and located at 941 Progress Avenue, Toronto (Scarborough), Ontario, Canada M1G 3T8 (east of Markham Road and just south of Hwy 401).

i would like to know how is the college repute.

Hi Farah,

Welcome to Canada! in case you re looking for a place to stay while you re still away, I'd recommend you to go on navut.com. I used it when coming from China and it really saved me because I was able to search for specific neighbourhood and it provides you with a lot of different infos. You should check it out

Sal
Quote: Originally Posted by mappleleafsView Post

Hi Farah,

Welcome to Canada! in case you re looking for a place to stay while you re still away, I'd recommend you to go on navut.com. I used it when coming from China and it really saved me because I was able to search for specific neighbourhood and it provides you with a lot of different infos. You should check it out

just a heads up there mappleleafs, a nice idea you gave out but...this post is 8 years old this person has probably moved on now...just sayin'

mappleleafs
+1
#11  Top Rated Post
Quote: Originally Posted by SalView Post

just a heads up there mappleleafs, a nice idea you gave out but...this post is 8 years old this person has probably moved on now...just sayin'

haha I forgot to check the date ! Thanks for the heads up

Quote: Originally Posted by SalView Post

I'm pretty sure she even graduated .. :S