"Start a new life in Canada!" - Yyyy... OK

hiAll

Jun 27, 2006
Warsaw, Poland (not for long ;))
Hello Everyone! :D
plz forgive me my english first ;P

Well, im going to move to Canada in about a year (yes - I'm shure). I wanted to come there since i was 12 (now i'm 24). My family who live in Toronto prommised to help me in starting a new life, but i have to say that i am little nervous... It's a new life in a new world - what wil i find there? How difficult is to survive there? To find a good job? To be shure that it was worth to start a new life in Canada leaving all behind?

OK - so please - can anyone tell me what are my chances for a good start in Canada? I have finished the best psychological school in Poland, i work as a director of marketing & advertisment in a large, private hospital. Now i have a proposition from Pizza Hut to work for them as an executive manager of a restaurant or in their marketing division (in Poland Pizza Hut puts most atttention to dine in restaurants - not delivery).

Thanks for patience reading this and help :]

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Hi Hiyall! Welcome. I can't tell you about those industries but good things come to people who try to succeed. You will do great in Canada.

hiAll

Jun 27, 2006
Thank You :D
That was very nice of You :) I hope You are right. I may sound stupid so forgive me.. but I realy want to move there. I feel like I was born in the wrong country. I love Poland... but i also feel something very important to Canada. I only hope Canadians could welcome me as worm as You did :)

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
You're welcome. Canada is a real land of opportunity right now. Especially for a young person. Our aging population has created a high demand for labour. The sky is the limit for you. Hard work and a good break here and there and you'll be successful.

nelk

Electoral Member
May 18, 2005
atlantic canada
"high demand for labour"

"Work hard"

" Hard work and a good break"

"Always remember you came here to be a Canadian, not a Pole in
Canada."

Hi All hello,
Please remember above phrases; they are as true as the Maple Leaf is read.
If you translate this in real terms is reads as follows:

Forget your professional education, degrees; yours are essential valueless in Canada.
Forget your professional work experiences; you may have had a decent employment befitting your education, even with an international branch of this multinational "Pizza Hut" company.
The Canadian branch of this company has nothing to do with the one you left.
Unless you have a prearranged position through their head organisation, you will come to a rude awakening.

You see, there is a high demand of hard work to be done, albeit the pay is not exactly uplifting.
Hard work you will have, as above posters truthfully indicated.

Yeah and there is this thing about getting a break; it can have many
meanings like
"Good luck to find some better job as immigrants normally have to put up with",
But in the majority of cases for educated (skilled) immigrants it means exactly that: a broken back or at least a broken spirit.

Of course nobody wants to hear that.
It is a nice (self) illusion flattering the self esteem of many Canadians how good and multicultural they are.

The last phrase above you must remember, because it is mend to preclude any idea of complaints; it sets you up to shut up and forget your roots.
All right you can come out at certain events and offer you kabassa, perogies or other food goodies; but don’t expect more of the Canadian Multiculti!
It’s just a smoke screen not more.

I am foreign, highly educated and lived my biggest mistake, believe me I know.

Oh there are other websites to get an alternative picture, much hated by some.
No other country has sites like
www.canadaimmigrants.com or www.notcanada.com
on immigration issues.
Read up the early pages of this forum “coming to Canada”

Good luck, you are going to need it!
[/b]

Simpleton

Electoral Member
Jun 17, 2006
Sarnia
sarnia.selfip.org
Re: RE: "Start a new life in Canada!" - Yyyy... O

hiAll said:
Thank You :D
That was very nice of You :) I hope You are right. I may sound stupid so forgive me.. but I realy want to move there. I feel like I was born in the wrong country. I love Poland... but i also feel something very important to Canada. I only hope Canadians could welcome me as worm as You did :)

Don't worry, hiall. Canadians only view politicians, etcetera, as worms. I don't think that anybody in Canada will welcome you as a worm. :lol:

Speaking of being born in the wrong country, I had an appointment with a shrink once who wasted my time by telling me all about how he felt that he was born in the wrong country. He was born in Africa, if you're curious. I suppose he lost sight of the fact that I was the patient and he was the doctor.

After about fifteen minutes of rambling on about his problems, he let me go and asked me to see his secretary to book another appointment. Needless to say, I didn't book another appointment, and I was forever free of having to deal with his problems.

I saw another shrink a few years later who hailed from Pakistan, I believe. He didn't bore me with his problems, but he wasn't too interested in my problem either. Not that I really cared, as my number one concern at the time, was that I didn't want to be dealing with anybody that was looking to psycho-analyze me in a petty search for nonexistent mental conditions.

To make a long story short, Canadians generally keep to themselves, and are quite friendly and tolerant in most cases.

Welcome to Canada.

hiAll

Jun 27, 2006
I DON'T think that money lies on the streets! I DON'T think that I could do nothing to get everything! I think thet people who came to a foreigh country and think that they deserve a better treatment only because they belive that they are in heaven - are PATHETHIC. I am not going to be a Pole in Canada - I want to be a Canadian. I am not going to close my mind in some Polish groups saying that Canada is bad couse no one gave me anything! NO ONE WILL! I am not moving to Canada to beg for a better life but to live as other Canadians - poor or rich, old or young...

There are many good and bad things about Canada, but good things dominate. Canada is no heaven - if it would be - what is God for? Canada is "only" one of the biggest, richest, safest (in many ways) and best to live countries on this planet and NO ONE will tell me that moving there is a bad idea.

Oh! There is one more thing i have to say to all "notCanada" fans - I will succeed thanks to one little thing that You don't have - enthusiasm. :D

katrina

Time Out
Nov 18, 2006
Think twice about your move!

You know, from outside it seems like moving to Canada, a country next to the U.S. and so much advertized, could be really a start of a new life. Just this "new life" could be not worth moving and might be worse than your life at where you come from.

I decided to go to Canada, because it was easy to immigrate, and it seemed like in 3 years you'll be able to apply for the citizenship, so it was very different from the U.S. I spent sometime in the U.S. before, and everything was easy - communicate with people, make friends. I thought that Canada would be the same. Ha-ha. We drove from the States, and initially we rented a hotel in Toronto for couple of days, and then we searched for housing and found a room in a house pretty close to downtown and not very expensive. The landlady never asked to join her for a meal, and when her family was visiting and had a party, she never asked me to join. I never had tjis kind of experinece in the States, people were very, very friendly. The landlady was white Canadian and was very proud of herself. They had a huge basement, but when I asked to put some of my luggage there, they totally refused, even though they had a room. But when her son was drunk and making noise, staying at home all day and having sex with his girlfriend, it was Ok. When my friend came for a weekend, the lady told him that he could stay at the hotel. It was my first Canadian experience with Canadians! Knowing that I was looking for a job, she never ever offered any help to direct me where I could apply.

Next. I sort of did not like Toronto, big city with no architechture, so I decided to move to Ottawa. And after couple of months in Toronto I moved to Ottawa. Rented a room for the first month at the Bed&Breakfast. Gosh, the owner was a former diplomat (as she said), but he had no manners, he had a messy house and only girls living there, and he chased girls all over the house (maybe he thought that they should be honored, I don't know). He was like 80 years old, by the way. All his conversations were about sex or jews, whom he totally hated. I was asking myself, where did I move, because it sounded horrible. Finally I moved out, and he never helped even with the move.

At the same time I got a local boyfriend. Inspite of me being a newcomer, he always hang around my place, and always was complaining if he needed to give me a ride somewhere for shopping (and mostly for his dinner). And when my computer broke, and he had like several of them at home, he was too greedy to even lend me one. Of course we broke up. The next one was not much better. I was studying French, and he said that he could train me for the exam. And after we went to some restaurant (in the morning, just to sit somewhere while studying), he decided that if he trains me I have to pay for his coffee and snacks!

What I'm saying is that do not think that you'll get any help after moving here, unless you know for sure that you have relatives, who will totally have your back. Canadians are very, very arrongant and they will never do anything, which is not for their own benefits. They are not as generous as Americans.

But it's only one side. People in Canada are forced to live in their own cultural groups, and there is no interaction, and there is a big job discrimination due to your origins. You might have all possible skills and qualifications, but they'll require you to have only Canadian education or experience. It's only to give the best jobs to Canadian-born population. You will always be working at the Pizza Hut, if you were not born in Canada.

There was this immigration center (center for new immigrants), so if you just came to Canada, they provided you with the advice on job search, housing, and so on. I called them, and after sometime they called me and offered to have a "Canadian friend" to introduce me into Canadian culture. And asked me if I had a bike or camera, because that "Canadian friend" wanted to ride bikes with a newcomer for her own pleasure. In the States they probably would just give you some old bike or a car... Not in Canada. Here everybody is for yourself.

I don't know why people stay here, if they stay here long enough, but I think that they are just getting depressed and can't control their lives anymore.

gearheaded1

Never stop questioning
Oct 21, 2006
Alberta
True north strong and free!

Welcome to the greatest nation on the planet!

There is tremendous potential and things to enjoy here. It is yours for the taking!

China and Katrina, you can be miserable no matter where you life. Get your head out of the sand and take some accountability for your life. It is what YOU make it, don't blame others for something that is fully within your control. Wake up and smell the maple syrup. Sure beats the blood and gunpowder and stench you'll find in some other crazy countries in other parts of the world.

Canada is great, don't take it for granted, and make the most of it.

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
Y

Canadians are very, very arrongant and they will never do anything, which is not for their own benefits. They are not as generous as Americans.

you never met a newfie then? the most generous people i ever met, and my impressions of the other canadians ive met is of also generous, friendly and tolerant people. maybe u just chose the wrong friends and boyfriends?

katrina

Time Out
Nov 18, 2006

There is tremendous potential and things to enjoy here. It is yours for the taking!

China and Katrina, you can be miserable no matter where you life. Get your head out of the sand and take some accountability for your life. It is what YOU make it, don't blame others for something that is fully within your control. Wake up and smell the maple syrup. Sure beats the blood and gunpowder and stench you'll find in some other crazy countries in other parts of the world.

Gearheaded,
You've been simply brainwashed by this "lovely" country. Open your eyes and look around, there are real people and real places somewhere there, outside Canada. Maple syrup makes me nauseous. Is there anything valuable in the country, except for the syrup? I doubt....

katrina

Time Out
Nov 18, 2006
you never met a newfie then? the most generous people i ever met, and my impressions of the other canadians ive met is of also generous, friendly and tolerant people. maybe u just chose the wrong friends and boyfriends?

The problem is that I did not choose, those people randomly entered my life, and usually samples give a pretty good picture of the population :).

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
Gearheaded wrote:

I agree, it is someone's choice to become a Canadian and if you don't like this great country you can leave via the route you came into this country.

Katrina you negativity towards Canada is playing a role in how you are being treated by Canadians. Try being pleasant and out going instead of Miss Misery guts. People come into your life for a "Reason, a season or a life time" and it is YOU who decides what catagory you wish to place them in. Join a club, a church, a gym get out and meet Canadians.

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
gearheaded1
True north strong and free!
China:It might be north but it sure ain't strong or free .How do I know ?,well I lived there and had my businesses there for over 40 ys.
gearheaded1 : Wake up and smell the maple syrup
Sure beats the blood and gunpowder and stench you'll find in some other crazy countries in other parts of the world.
China: I don't know how old you are mister ,but let me tell you something about your gearedhead....it's geared in a wrong direction ..................reverse. And that,s the problem with most of the welfare cases.
Just one question....,what do you know about Canada ,what do you know about the rest of the world ,where have you bin mister ?

Last edited: