Canada in general

lo2

Electoral Member
May 26, 2006
I would like to know more about Canada than I do now. So therefore I hope that you will answer my questions and give me some good answers.

I have not heard that much about Canada, you hear about USA mostly. But Canada is also an important country that you cannot ignore. But I have heard that is very much unlike USA and that is more like Europa. I do not wheter that is any right, just something that I have heard from some people. I mean it is right next to USA and they talk the same language and they must have a lot in common. So somehow I think it would be a bit weird if they did not have the same points of view on things. But that might just be a prejudice and I hope that I have not insulted any Canadians by making this statement. So could any please englighten me on the subject?

lo2

Electoral Member
May 26, 2006
By the way my english is very poor. So if you take the time to correct the peice of text I have just written I would appreicate it.

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
Hey lo2,

You are wrong to assume that Canadians in general would have similar viewpoints as the US-Americans do on most points. There are sometimes where we agree, but the past decade has not been very telling of that.

Canada is, in many ways, much like Europeans countries and probably similar to Denmark in a lot of ways.. the people mostly. (Denmark is VERY much more like Canada, than say Germany).

Actually I found that Danish culture and conveniences was kind of like a hybrid of Europe and North America, which comes close to Canada. Germany or France, on the other hand, are not much like Canada in that respect.

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
lo2 said:
By the way my english is very poor. So if you take the time to correct the peice of text I have just written I would appreicate it.

Your English sounds perfect to me.

lo2

Electoral Member
May 26, 2006
Thank you very much for saying so, I will keep that in mind.

But I think that it sounds interesting that Denmark and Canada should have a lot in common. So what you say is that a Dane and a Canadian who have more in common than a German and a Canadian? If that is what you are saying it sounds like an interesting point of view.

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
lo2 said:

But I think that it sounds interesting that Denmark and Canada should have a lot in common. So what you say is that a Dane and a Canadian who have more in common than a German and a Canadian? If that is what you are saying it sounds like an interesting point of view.

I definately believe a Dane and a Canadian are more similar than a German and a Canadian.. out of my experience. I live in Germany and have spent time in Denmark.

One thing to note: In Denmark, you can goto the 7/11 pretty late and there are a lot of corner stores in Denmark. In Germany, everything is closed at or before 8pm and there are not very many corner stores anywhere. So it's similar from a consumer point of view. Canada is similar to Denmark in that respect.

Second: Canadians and Danes are pretty friendly people and will offer help to a complete stranger who looks lost. They are both typically very well mannered peoples.

Third: Canadians and Danes seem to both have a balanced view on the world, albeit slightly more left leaning.

There are a lot of things I could say, actually :)

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
When my wife was in Germany she said people didn't smile at each other, and when she did smile to an older couple once (passing on the street), the woman (under her breath) mentioned it to her husband after my wife passed them.

lo2

Electoral Member
May 26, 2006
Andem said:
lo2 said:

I definately believe a Dane and a Canadian are more similar than a German and a Canadian.. out of my experience. I live in Germany and have spent time in Denmark.

One thing to note: In Denmark, you can goto the 7/11 pretty late and there are a lot of corner stores in Denmark. In Germany, everything is closed at or before 8pm and there are not very many corner stores anywhere. So it's similar from a consumer point of view. Canada is similar to Denmark in that respect.

Second: Canadians and Danes are pretty friendly people and will offer help to a complete stranger who looks lost. They are both typically very well mannered peoples.

Third: Canadians and Danes seem to both have a balanced view on the world, albeit slightly more left leaning.

There are a lot of things I could say, actually :)

I see I did not know that at all. But I do think that it is a good thing to hear. Though I was not aware of it.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
:D My son-in-law is of German descent. He was born in Canada however, which may explain how he was able to develop a sense of humour.

His family (born in Germany) would give anyone the shirt off their back, and would go out of their way to help a person in trouble. I think generosity of spirit is more person specific than nation specific.
Germans are haunted by their recent history, and are a tad reticent with strangers............in general......to generalize........bad idea usually.

Now, if you want to see the nation of the..........."oh look he's drowning......too bad..."shrug", visit France.

:idea:

dekhqonbacha

Electoral Member
Apr 30, 2006
CsL, Mtl, Qc, Ca, NA, Er, SS,MW, Un
Canada in general:

In general Canada is a huge country. I think it's worth to mention it because no one else did.

Canada has two official languages in federal level: English and French.

Provinces are unilanguage except for New Brusnwick, where English and Frech is the official language. Quebec is the only provice where only French is the official language. The languages of the rest of provinces of Canada is English.

This huge territory is divided only into 10 provinces and 3 territories. Whereas US is a union of 50 states.

Not between US and Canada, but Canadians themselves differ in many approaches. Like French, English is being one of them. East and West is another.

Of course there are similarities between provices but differences are also noticiable.