Question about moving.

vinyl

Nov 13, 2005
I'm planning on moving to Vancouver. I wanted to know to move, do I need a passport? I remember when I visited all I needed was a photo id (my driver's license) and my birth certificate.

so, is moving any different? Or will I need to have my passport?

GreenGreta

Electoral Member
Jun 5, 2005
Lala Land
You will need boxes and lots of tape. You will need newspaper to wrap your stuff in. You should rent a truck.

I'm just filling in for the Rev, cause you wont' get intelligent answers from him either.

Good luck in Vancouver.

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now
Plastic shopping bags are useful for packing the fragile stuff also. Plus if you have them around you have a garbage bag readily accessable in case you want to throw stuff out while packing.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: Question about moving

You'll need a couple of friends with pick-up trucks and several cases of beer. It's not hard, but you should be able to patch holes in the wall and paint because you are depending on guys with pick-up trucks and you are paying them with beer.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
ok.......just noticed your US flag. What part of the U.S are you coming from??? Are you coming to a job??? (or are you planning to look for work after you move??? ) :?

the moving part is easy . Just hire a moving company....

(and as the rev says.........have plenty of beer around. ) :wink:

(for YOU...... as moving rates hi on the stress meter.;-)[/quote]

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

If you are moving from the US, you need to immigrate. That means going through all of the official channels, getting all of the paperwork, and meeting all of the requirements. I suggest that you get a hold of you nearest Canadian Consulate and finding out what's required.

After that, you'll need some friends with pick-up trucks and plenty of beer...

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now
Re: RE: Question about moving

Reverend Blair said:
After that, you'll need some friends with pick-up trucks and plenty of beer...

:lol: I've done it with friends, a cube van and beer. Never EVER will do that again.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
If you are moving from the US, you need to immigrate. That means going through all of the official channels, getting all of the paperwork, and meeting all of the requirements. I suggest that you get a hold of you nearest Canadian Consulate and finding out what's required

absolutely ! all that has to be taken care of first. Some think they can just come here, move in and take up residence. ( a recent neighbor of mine from California did just that. She is gone now) Does not work that way. We do not tolerate illegals.... but some get away with it for a while anyhow.

Would NOT try that route...........

vinyl

Nov 13, 2005

If i'm not mistaken you can stay in Canada for up to 6 months. I'm pretty sure that's enough time to get my paperwork and everything out the way while up there. I have a Canadian friend i'm rooming with who will help me with all of that.

vinyl

Nov 13, 2005

And I also heard that you don't have to be a Canadian Citizen to live in Canada, I can keep my US citizenship.

vinyl

Nov 13, 2005

I didn't ask about all of this in the first place, I just asked if I needed my passport to move, or can I use my photo id and birth certificate?

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005

vinyl said:
I didn't ask about all of this in the first place, I just asked if I needed my passport to move, or can I use my photo id and birth certificate?

maybe not........but it is quite apparent that you are relying on heresay info .......and not on facts. You might want to check out the CA immigration website for more factual information.

what you "hear" and heard is inaccurate.......and it is wisest to follow proper protocol. You need to do a LOT More reseach into the proper protocol to move to Ca than simply posing a question to a forum.......where people are not up to speed on the details...and will most likely just give you a "bad" time.

Nascar_James

Council Member
Jun 6, 2005
Oklahoma, USA
Be very careful on what you tell Canadian immigration authorities, Vinyl. Without any paperwork, your intent must be solely to visit (max. 6 months). However, if you should up with a US passport stamped at a Canadian Consulate in the US with a Canadian Immigration Visa, then you must tell them that your intent is to immigrate.

Once you are in Canada, correct ... you can adjust your status from visitor to resident, by filling out the paperwork, provided you have the proper sponsorship. If you were born in Canada or had a Canadian parent, you will not have a problem and in this case, you might even be able to get your Canadian Citizenship pretty quick. Not sure about the grandfather clause thou. Another relative may also be able to sponsor you. If you have no relatives and a friend wants to hire you for work, that may be another way to obtain sponsorship. There are many options, just visit a Canadian Consulate nearby before leaving to find out your options.

So you have two options. You may apply at you local consulate for a Canadian Immigration Visa and get on a waiting list. Beleive it or not, yes there are many Americans who move to Canada. Option two would be to drive to Canada and then fill out the paperwork and apply from within. You must remember to submit your paperwork within 6 months of arriving in Canada. Don't forget to ask Canadian Immigration to stamp your passport before you drive across the border. Many times they don't stamp the passport and this may cause problems for you later on. It is the only way to prove that you've submitted your paperwork within 6 months of entering Canada as a visitor. Remember, if you choose option two, do not tell Canadian Immigration that your intent is to stay. As an American Citizen, you have legal status in Canada as a visitor for 6 months.

vinyl

Nov 13, 2005
Nascar_James said:
Be very careful on what you tell Canadian immigration authorities, Vinyl. Without any paperwork, your intent must be solely to visit (max. 6 months). However, if you should up with a US passport stamped at a Canadian Consulate in the US with a Canadian Immigration Visa, then you must tell them that your intent is to immigrate.

Once you are in Canada, correct ... you can adjust your status from visitor to resident, by filling out the paperwork, provided you have the proper sponsorship. If you were born in Canada or had a Canadian parent, you will not have a problem and in this case, you might even be able to get your Canadian Citizenship pretty quick. Not sure about the grandfather clause thou. Another relative may also be able to sponsor you. If you have no relatives and a friend wants to hire you for work, that may be another way to obtain sponsorship. There are many options, just visit a Canadian Consulate nearby before leaving to find out your options.

So you have two options. You may apply at you local consulate for a Canadian Immigration Visa and get on a waiting list. Beleive it or not, yes there are many Americans who move to Canada. Option two would be to drive to Canada and then fill out the paperwork and apply from within. You must remember to submit your paperwork within 6 months of arriving in Canada. Don't forget to ask Canadian Immigration to stamp your passport before you drive across the border. Many times they don't stamp the passport and this may cause problems for you later on. It is the only way to prove that you've submitted your paperwork within 6 months of entering Canada as a visitor. Remember, if you choose option two, do not tell Canadian Immigration that your intent is to stay. As an American Citizen, you have legal status in Canada as a visitor for 6 months.

Hrm, well. I wasn't driving to Canada. I was takeing a plane.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005

vinyl said:

so is your question about ENTERING Canada (border crossing ??) or MOVING to CA. ?? Either way........don't try anything illegal. or something that could be considered slippery slopes. Honesty is the best policy.

anyone that tries to cheat the system is NOT welcome here.... and sooner or later it is found out.....

vinyl

Nov 13, 2005

Ocean Breeze said:
vinyl said:

so is your question about ENTERING Canada (border crossing ??) or MOVING to CA. ?? Either way........don't try anything illegal. or something that could be considered slippery slopes. Honesty is the best policy.

anyone that tries to cheat the system is NOT welcome here.... and sooner or later it is found out.....

Are you stupid? What the hell are you talking about? I'm not doing anything illegal, geez.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005

vinyl said:
Ocean Breeze said:
vinyl said:

Are you stupid? What the hell are you talking about? I'm not doing anything illegal, geez.

easy boy....... "attitude" is not appreciated in Vancouver.... and if you want to move here..........

and no one said you were doing /planning anything illegal. But your questions seem to bare the fact that you are not as informed about procedures as you should be.........and a forum like this is not the place for facts about such situations.

Summer

Electoral Member
Nov 13, 2005
Cleveland, Ohio, USA (for now...)

Vinyl,

You can't just move to canada and stay with your friend and work, and THEN put in your paperwork. If you're going to just visit a friend for 6 months without working, sure, you can do that. But if you try to get a job without first having a work permit, that won't fly.

I'm currently planning a move from Cleveland to Toronto, so I've been doing my homework on all of this. Tell ya what, if you want to get some answers from some of the people I've been getting them from and you don't want to go to the CIC site and try to wade through all the stuff there by yourself (though I do recommend it eventually), try this forum:

Road To Canada

That forum is by, for, and all about people in various stages of moving to Canada. Some of them are from the U.S., and some are even in Canada already with temporary work permits but are in the process of seeking permanent resident status. You can read our various stories and get all sorts of useful information. You'll find me there under the same username as here.

wannabecanadian

Nov 16, 2005
Stuck for now in Ohio
Hi Vinyl,

Yep, Summer is right--immigration is a complicated procedure and you're going to want to prepare yourself thoroughly before trying to just up move there. I'd recommend reading through the CIC website first (cic.gc.ca/english), then visiting us over at the Road to Canada site. Everyone there is really helpful and knowledgeable, but the specifics of it all will be found on the CIC site. Best of luck to you!