WATCH: 'Jeopardy!' contestant fails at Canadian geography

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
WATCH: 'Jeopardy!' contestant fails at Canadian geography
By John Williams, Postmedia Network First posted: Wednesday, June 03, 2015 09:23 AM EDT | Updated: Wednesday, June 03, 2015 09:39 AM EDT
There has long been a general sense that some Americans are ignorant when it comes to all things Canadian.

Well, we don't want to paint all of our friends south of the border with the same brush, but if a recent episode of Jeopardy! is any indication, that stereotype is definitely being solidified.

The contestants had one category on the board left, called "Canadian Cities," which they were more than likely trying to avoid.

Two of the three contestants stayed silent for the whole segment and the other, Randy, probably should have done the same.

Some of his lowlights included thinking Winnipeg is in Saskatchewan and the kicker, the Daily Double, where he lost all his money on this beauty:

"The swan is the symbol of this Ontario city; each year, white & black swans are released into the Avon River."

His guess? "What is Edmonton." (The answer, of course, being Stratford, Ontario.)

With Randy now in negative figures, host (and Canadian) Alex Trebek seemed bemused by the wrong answers, smiling and telling him "You got yourself into trouble in Double Jeopardy!, and that's unfortunate for you - you won't be around for Final Jeopardy!"

We suggest he beefs up on his Canadian geography.
Watch below:
Twitter: @johnwillms
john.williams@sunmedia.ca
Contestant Randy on "Jeopardy!" (YouTube screengrab)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAdDUD6L1nc
WATCH: 'Jeopardy!' contestant fails at Canadian geography | TV | Entertainment |

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
I only got 4.....I thought the swan answer was London .....

Canadians who have been trying to get on Jeopardy have a fighting chance again of appearing on the popular game show.

According to the contestant FAQ section on the game show's website, "Canadians are eligible" again to take the qualifying online test. The change took effect Sept. 12.

The show, hosted by Canadian Alex Trebek, stopped accepting Canadian applications in February, blaming the country's updated privacy laws.

Chuck Smith, originally from Newfoundland and now living in Toronto, has been trying to get on the show since 2011.

"I felt delighted and relieved when I found out I was once again eligible to take the test to appear on the show," said Smith.

'Delighted and relieved': Canadians are back on the board for Jeopardy - Arts & Entertainment - CBC News

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
Back in gr13 only 3 of us out of 28 passed the "Candian geography map test"
Geological regions, major lakes, rivers, capitol cities, provinces, and natural resources.
A decent school system would solve the Canadian students' lack of knowledge about Canadian geography.

The American problem with Canadian geography?
the less they know the better

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
There was an American columnist who wrote a column, about being in Canada's capital city for a Knights of Columbus convention. Of course, she was in Toronto.

Many people aren't very good at geography of other countries.

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
Every country needs a BL posting local geography threads on forums and face books, LOL

There was a thing (Andrew Dice (SP?) maybe?) about all the Americans that thought Iraq was AUstralia