looking for help with expressions from Saskatchewan and Alberta

ScottM84
I've recently begun attempting to write a children's novel set in Lloydminster. I want to have realistic sounding dialog in the book, but since I'm from Mississippi, I'm very unfamiliar with slang and expressions that would be used there. I've found a bit of information by way of Google searches, but I'd like to have some more detailed information. I'd appreciate any and all help I can get!

IdRatherBeSkiing
+1
I would think visiting the place you are writing about should be in order. Get your own impressions not just interpret others.

captain morgan
Quote: Originally Posted by ScottM84View Post

I've recently begun attempting to write a children's novel set in Lloydminster. I want to have realistic sounding dialog in the book, but since I'm from Mississippi, I'm very unfamiliar with slang and expressions that would be used there. I've found a bit of information by way of Google searches, but I'd like to have some more detailed information. I'd appreciate any and all help I can get!

I'm from Alberta and spent lots of time in the small towns (Lloyd included).

Curious... How is it that your story begins there?

(I'll have to give some thought on the dialog element)

ScottM84
+1
Unfortunately, as much as I'd like to, a visit isn't in the cards right now.

My two main characters are 12-year-old twins - a brother and sister. When I started creating them, I decided that I wanted the boy to play hockey, because I'm a huge hockey fan, and to go along with that, I decided to make the girl a figure skater. Since we don't really have either of those to speak of in Mississippi, and I've wanted to visit Canada for a while, I decided to set it there. As for why I chose Lloydminster in particular, the basic story fits better with a smaller city or town, and I find the bi-provincial status of Lloydminster interesting.

BornRuff
Bunny hug

petros
+1
Nobody from Lloydminster calls it that. It's just Lloyd.

People wear hoodies not bunny hugs so skip bumfluffs 1970s lingo.

If you're going to have hockey you gotta have football.

Your location is borderline prairie/bush/boreal so don't make it wide open prairie with roaming Buffalo amongst heavy oil jackpumps.

You'll need to learn Native and white lingo.

I'd also try to write LABIA (Lloydminster Area Brain Injury Association) into the story just for sh-ts and giggles

BornRuff
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

People wear hoodies not bunny hugs so skip bumfluffs 1970s lingo.

A coworker of mine from Sask gets made fun of all the time for using that word.

Maybe you are too old?

Ron in Regina

httpwwwyoutubecomwatchvESIkrxNq1GE

Last edited by Ron in Regina; May 19th, 2014 at 12:59 PM..Reason: took the 's' out'a https....whoops

ScottM84
I read in an article online that even in the city of Lloydminster, there's a division based on the provincial border for the usage of "bunny hug." It said that even within the city, Saskatchewan residents use the term and Alberta residents don't. Is there any truth to that?

petros
Nobody uses "bunny hug" . not since the late 70's

captain morgan
Couldn't tell you about the bunny hugs thingy, but you'll need to bear in mind that Lloyd is an oil town and many/most of the folks there are employed by it... That said, there is a large population that has been transplanted from other areas throughout the prairies.

Lastly, there is a lot of agri business that happens in that area, so the culture gets split in a number of ways

petros
It borders on more than the border.

Sal
+1
what happened to the thread?

it's bleeding borders but there's no "s" video

Rooooooooooooooooon, did you make a bad post?

ScottM84
What do you mean by bleeding borders?

BornRuff
Quote: Originally Posted by SalView Post

It's Ron's fault.

Ron in Regina
+1

My bad. Yoinked out the 's' in the https just now....

Tonington
+1

I read in an article online that even in the city of Lloydminster, there's a division based on the provincial border for the usage of "bunny hug." It said that even within the city, Saskatchewan residents use the term and Alberta residents don't. Is there any truth to that?

Enter 'bunny hug' in google news, or click this link (external - login to view), you'll find articles from Saskatchewan of missing teenagers and suspects in crimes, describing the colour of the bunny hug they were wearing.

BornRuff
Firearms, stolen car used to rob Saskatoon bank - Saskatoon | Globalnews.ca (external - login to view)

Quote:

The first male suspect is described as First Nations, in his 20’s, 5’11” tall with a medium build. He was wearing a black bunny hug with a skull symbol on the front. He had a silver-coloured handgun.

Ron in Regina
Yep, and some day in saskatchewan you'll be able to order a beer &
see a peeler in the same room....

captain morgan
Quote: Originally Posted by Ron in ReginaView Post

Just cross Main Street headed West and you'll be on the Alberta side... Peelers and beer in the same room and no prov sales tax.

It's Utopia brudder

Locutus
we called 'em 'hooded things' when I was a kid.

Ron in Regina
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by LocutusView Post

We called them Bunny-Hug's back when we only had three TV channels (one
being in French & another being the CBC). Once cable TV came along...the
name morphed to the American term of Hoodie over time.

Sal
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by LocutusView Post

We called them Bunny-Hug's back when we only had three TV channels (one
being in French & another being the CBC). Once cable TV came along...the
name morphed to the American term of Hoodie over time.

my time they were called Kangaroo Jackets... likely because of the front pouch...I love those jackets...have one in every colour

MHz

Unlike Alberta where you just grab a beer and order a hooker. The rest of the story probably wouldn't qualify as a children's book unless Davey Crocket is sitting in that class.

Sal
+1

What do you mean by bleeding borders?

when someone posts a video from YouTube, before you paste it in here you have to delete the "s" in the http"s"...it messes with the thread and it begins to bleed out the bottom of the page Loc hates that...he also hates the term 'viral' so don't forget to remove the "s" before posting any viral videos...

and use the term viral as much as possible.. multiple times per thread when possible.

Locutus
+1

my time they were called Kangaroo Jackets... likely because of the front pouch...I love those jackets...have one in every colour

yes ma'am!

almost forgot about that one.

and use the term viral as much as possible.. multiple times per thread when possible.

MHz
+1

when someone posts a video from YouTube, before you paste it in here you have to delete the "s" in the http"s"...it messes with the thread and it begins to bleed out the bottom of the page Loc hates that...he also hates the term 'viral' so don't forget to remove the "s" before posting any viral videos...

Quick, give me a reason not to abuse this knowledge.

Sal
Quote: Originally Posted by MHzView Post

lmao...nope, make it go viral....

oh Loooooooc

Ron in Regina

I think Bunny-Hugs had the zipper with a pocket on each side, & Kangaroo's
where the pull over with the one big pocket.

Locutus
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by MHzView Post