looking for help with expressions from Saskatchewan and Alberta

ScottM84

May 18, 2014
Mississippi
I've recently begun attempting to write a children's novel set in Lloydminster. I want to have realistic sounding dialog in the book, but since I'm from Mississippi, I'm very unfamiliar with slang and expressions that would be used there. I've found a bit of information by way of Google searches, but I'd like to have some more detailed information. I'd appreciate any and all help I can get!

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
I've recently begun attempting to write a children's novel set in Lloydminster. I want to have realistic sounding dialog in the book, but since I'm from Mississippi, I'm very unfamiliar with slang and expressions that would be used there. I've found a bit of information by way of Google searches, but I'd like to have some more detailed information. I'd appreciate any and all help I can get!

I'm from Alberta and spent lots of time in the small towns (Lloyd included).

Curious... How is it that your story begins there?

(I'll have to give some thought on the dialog element)

ScottM84

May 18, 2014
Mississippi
Unfortunately, as much as I'd like to, a visit isn't in the cards right now.

My two main characters are 12-year-old twins - a brother and sister. When I started creating them, I decided that I wanted the boy to play hockey, because I'm a huge hockey fan, and to go along with that, I decided to make the girl a figure skater. Since we don't really have either of those to speak of in Mississippi, and I've wanted to visit Canada for a while, I decided to set it there. As for why I chose Lloydminster in particular, the basic story fits better with a smaller city or town, and I find the bi-provincial status of Lloydminster interesting.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Nobody from Lloydminster calls it that. It's just Lloyd.

People wear hoodies not bunny hugs so skip bumfluffs 1970s lingo.

If you're going to have hockey you gotta have football.

Your location is borderline prairie/bush/boreal so don't make it wide open prairie with roaming Buffalo amongst heavy oil jackpumps.

You'll need to learn Native and white lingo.

I'd also try to write LABIA (Lloydminster Area Brain Injury Association) into the story just for sh-ts and giggles

ScottM84

May 18, 2014
Mississippi
I read in an article online that even in the city of Lloydminster, there's a division based on the provincial border for the usage of "bunny hug." It said that even within the city, Saskatchewan residents use the term and Alberta residents don't. Is there any truth to that?

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Couldn't tell you about the bunny hugs thingy, but you'll need to bear in mind that Lloyd is an oil town and many/most of the folks there are employed by it... That said, there is a large population that has been transplanted from other areas throughout the prairies.

Lastly, there is a lot of agri business that happens in that area, so the culture gets split in a number of ways

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
what happened to the thread?

it's bleeding borders but there's no "s" video 8O

Rooooooooooooooooon, did you make a bad post?

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
I read in an article online that even in the city of Lloydminster, there's a division based on the provincial border for the usage of "bunny hug." It said that even within the city, Saskatchewan residents use the term and Alberta residents don't. Is there any truth to that?

Enter 'bunny hug' in google news, or click this link, you'll find articles from Saskatchewan of missing teenagers and suspects in crimes, describing the colour of the bunny hug they were wearing.