move to Canada(Toronto) for a period of 1 year questions

User43251
Hello I am a US citizen and want to move to Canada(Toronto) for a period of 1 year. I am not seeking to work or study there. Currently I am trying to figure out which applications to submit in order to have the ability:

1) Rent an apartment
2) Open a bank account
3) Operate a motor vehicle

Will I be able to bring my own car and will I have to get Canadian driver license/insurance or will I be able to continue using American license/insurance

Thank you.

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by User43251View Post

Hello I am a US citizen and want to move to Canada(Toronto) for a period of 1 year. I am not seeking to work or study there. Currently I am trying to figure out which applications to submit in order to have the ability:

1) Rent an apartment
2) Open a bank account

Will I be able to bring my own car and will I have to get Canadian driver license/insurance or will I be able to continue using American license/insurance

Thank you.

Why do you want to move to Canada for one year?

mentalfloss
About the car, I can't speak for the drivers' license but you will need to be insured with an Ontario insurance company.

Renting an apartment should be as easy as applying at a building with vacant rooms and I'm assuming you can just go to any bank to apply for an account.

bill barilko
Answers to your questions are found on the germane Federal Govt Dept website not this pit of mediocrity.

mentalfloss
Gee thanks Bill.

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalflossView Post

About the car, I can't speak for the drivers' license but you will need to be insured with an Ontario insurance company.

Renting an apartment should be as easy as applying at a building with vacant rooms and I'm assuming you can just go to any bank to apply for an account.

Should we be encouraging him/her before we know the reason for the move?

damngrumpy
It probably has to do with studying ancient peoples and Rob Ford comes to mind

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by damngrumpyView Post

It probably has to do with studying ancient peoples and Rob Ford comes to mind

Rob is younger than I am. (although not by much) -

captain morgan
A big part of moving to Toronto will require a mental health exam.

Fer crisssakes man!... Why in the hell would you want to go to Taranna fer anyways?

BaalsTears
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

Why do you want to move to Canada for one year?

[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]

Probably because Canadians know how to party.

JLM
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by BaalsTearsView Post

The booze prices up here might cause a change of heart!

shadowshiv

The booze prices up here might cause a change of heart!

At least our beer tastes better.

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by shadowshivView Post

I suppose, have had very few beers in 20 years. Coffee tastes even better! -

shadowshiv

I suppose, have had very few beers in 20 years. Coffee tastes even better! -

I wouldn't know. I don't drink coffee.

mentalfloss

Should we be encouraging him/her before we know the reason for the move?

Paranoid.

And besides, I would think these activities are analogous across most developed countries.

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalflossView Post

Paranoid.

No, just sensible- it's easier to deal with him before he/she gets here than to have hassles to deal with later, if he turns out to be "persona non grata".

BaalsTears
Quote: Originally Posted by shadowshivView Post

I doubt it. Sante Adairius Rustic Ales :: Brewery in Capitola California :: Know Your Brewer (external - login to view)

damngrumpy
Rob Ford is younger than I am too, I was referring to his thinking process not his age

Durry
+4
#19  Top Rated Post

1) Rent an apartment
2) Open a bank account

Thank you.

I'll give you some of my thoughts on this;
As mentioned earlier you will have no problems renting an apartment or opening a bank account.

Now the car can be an issue. Usually you can keep your car in Canada. I think the provincial regulations give you something between 30 to 90 day to get the car registered in Canada and it's at this time you will need to get Canadian auto insurance. You should be able to just trade your present driving license for an Ontario one.
I'm not sure what government docs you have to sign to stay in Canada for one year. This you will have to ck on, there is a government website that addresses this. You will also have to look after health insurance.

But another option you might have is to stay here as a visitor. As a visitor you can stay here for 6 months, no problem. In your case, you just happen to have two 6 month periods back to back. If your maintaining your US address, this works even better because you do nothing with your car just leave everything as it is. The only thing is that if you ever get into an accident,,,,,well it would not be good to provide them with your Canadian address..

Anyways, just some thoughts!!

Oh, and it would be very good if you made the occasional trip back to the US once in awhile just as added support that your only a visitor here.

Here is the website.

Visit Canada (external - login to view)

Angstrom
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by BaalsTearsView Post

If they think they do, they have no clue what they are talking about.

Sal

1) Rent an apartment
2) Open a bank account

Thank you.

welcome to Canada....check our government websites as was already suggested.

Toronto is a beautiful city ♦

Quote: Originally Posted by DurryView Post

Visit Canada (external - login to view)

great post Durry!

spaminator

Hello I am a US citizen and want to move to Canada(Toronto) for a period of 1 year.

we have a drunk crack smoking mayor. if that isn't a reason to stay permanently I don't know what is.

captain morgan
Does he share?

SLM
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by bill barilkoView Post

Answers to your questions are found on the germane Federal Govt Dept website not this pit of mediocrity.

One has to wonder about the mindset of an individual who keeps returning to a place he finds to be a pit of mediocrity. Seems like a masochistic, self-loathing sort of thing to do. Have you considered therapy?

User43251
Thanks for your responses especially Durry and mentalfloss.

Basically I did some research on the Canadian immigration website prior to posting and determined that I can either enter without visa and file for an extension or fill out an application for a Temporary Resident Permit.

However, I could not find answers on the website about a car, apartment or bank account. I also read on some internet site that I would need some type of an official Canadian ID to open a bank account or rent an apartment. Therefore, I was trying to figure out which documents would count as such.

Another thing that I am also a bit concerned is the access to the internet. I will need an access to high speed internet around cable broadband speed of 512 kbps-20 mbs to T3 – 43mbs. Do apartments typically come with some type of basic internet access and can it be upgraded to cable broadband or T3 type of a connection. Thanks

Sal

Basically I did some research on the Canadian immigration website prior to posting and determined that I can either enter without visa and file for an extension or fill out an application for a Temporary Resident Permit.

However, I could not find answers on the website about a car, apartment or bank account. I also read on some internet site that I would need some type of an official Canadian ID to open a bank account or rent an apartment. Therefore, I was trying to figure out which documents would count as such.

Another thing that I am also a bit concerned is the access to the internet. I will need an access to high speed internet around cable broadband speed of 512 kbps-20 mbs to T3 Ė 43mbs. Do apartments typically come with some type of basic internet access and can it be upgraded to cable broadband or T3 type of a connection. Thanks

don't worry about internet access you will just research the various providers available in your area and then choose from there. You will then pay your internet service provider a monthly fee. If you want cable one of the larger providers is called Rogers.
www.rogers.com/web/Rogers.portal (external - login to view)

Also Toronto is massive so depending upon what you will be doing there you may want to choose one of the smaller surrounding communites to live in.

IdRatherBeSkiing
+1

1) Rent an apartment
2) Open a bank account

Thank you.

1) You can rent an apartment. You will need first and last month's rent.
2) You will need a VISA (not the credit card) which shows your right to live here. I think you would also need a SIN card. I know US banks require a SSN# (Patriot Act) and I think Canada put in similar restrictions. I think you qualify for a SIN with the VISA.
3) If you are planning on bringing your car with you, you will have N months on your American insurance/registration. Once that N months expires, you would need to top it up with Canadian insurance. I think the same is true for your plates. If you exceed that time, you need to have your car pass Canadian inspection including Ontario's DriveClean inspection in order to get a plate here. You must have all inspections passed, and have insurance to get a plate. If your plan is to buy up here, then you would just need to get insurance and the plates. No issues. I think as long as your residence is not permanent, you could continue using your American drivers licence.

You should probably double check all this with the federal government and Ontario web sites although quite frankly I just checked the Ontario website and unless you want a nice smiling face of our current premier, it is pretty useless. You may also try calling the Canadian consulate and ask your questions directly. Link to list below:

Embassies and consulates (external - login to view)

Another thing that I am also a bit concerned is the access to the internet. I will need an access to high speed internet around cable broadband speed of 512 kbps-20 mbs to T3 Ė 43mbs. Do apartments typically come with some type of basic internet access and can it be upgraded to cable broadband or T3 type of a connection. Thanks

You would need to acquire the internet separately. Most providers provide high speed connections for a price.

Sal
Thanks Ski ♦

no new posts