Working in Montreal

DasFX

Electoral Member
Dec 6, 2004
Whitby, Ontario
tywy said:
Do you have to be bilingual to work in Montreal as a student?

You could get by fine and still experience the virtues of Montréal and Québec is you are unilingual, that is unilingual in French. However, if your first language is English, then you will not do "as well" in Québec. Plus you would miss out on what makes Montréal and Québec so special.

Try to learn French, it is an easy language to learn.

tywy

Feb 8, 2006
Dublin, Ireland
All three of us have French. I've spent 5 weeks in France and can hold a conversation. My two friends have high school French. Would that be ok?

s_lone

Council Member
Feb 16, 2005
Montreal
Re: RE: Working in Montreal

tywy said:
All three of us have French. I've spent 5 weeks in France and can hold a conversation. My two friends have high school French. Would that be ok?

If you say you can hold a conversation in French I'm sure you'll have no problem finding a job in Montreal. Like I already said, more in the West than in the East...

You also definitely should go visit Quebec city... Maybe not to find a job (almost only French...) but just to visit and have fun. Most people speak an understandable English because the city depends on tourism a lot. Very nice city and that's where I'm from. :D

If you're interested in history, you can visit la Grosse Isle (close to Quebec City) where Irish immigrants were put in quarantine during the big flow of Irish immigration due to the famine...

I'm of Irish descent myself on my father's side. My name is Sean Lonergan... doesn't sound very French Canadian...

:wink:

Erick-Mathieu

Feb 27, 2006
Boucherville, Québec
I raised in Boucherville, then moving to St-Hyacinthe, then Québec and then Montréal.

I can tell you that working in the South shore of Montréal (Boucherville, St-Hyacinthe) and Québec city with a little knowledge of French is impossible, more than 95% of people living in these cities are French.

In Eastern Montréal, Pointes-aux-Trembles, Hochelaga, it might be impossible too.

I suggest you Beaconsfiel, Baie d'Urfé or Kirkland.

But even if you work in these «English-councils», the Bill 101 on the French-protection-law notified that people are, at least, obligated to speak French and to communicate well in French when they are hired.

Chèvredansante

Mar 14, 2006
Ottawa, ON
aeon said:
tywy said:
Do you have to be bilingual to work in Montreal as a student?

Don t need to , just find a work that only requires english.
Like what?

My anglophone husband will graduate from Carleton University with a BA in a double major of PolySci & Journalism. He took a basic level French course... He can talk about very very basic things.

He is willing to learn French, and has been trying, but it's very hard for him. He has a lot experience working in libraries.

Any ideas?

Merci en tout cas.

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
Take more french classes, watch french tv, listen to french radio and find some french people to hand out with.

martuss

Apr 2, 2006
as a montrealer i can tell you that if you speek english it may be easier however if you are planning to work in the management area of a company you'll find that most of the work is carried out in english (communications, meetings, etc.)

Erick-Mathieu

Feb 27, 2006
Boucherville, Québec
Eh... I don't know where you are working, but all my meeting and communication are French at 80%! And people who speak in English when they call are mostly immigrants or student in McGill and the other anglophone are able to speak a basic French.

Anyway, if you work in Montréal, to be bilingual is a necessity.

BlackJack_X_X

Apr 8, 2006
Martuss is correct. As someone who's been involved with many corporations in Montreal, I can tell you that most of the high level meetings in major Montreal companies (with the exception of Hydro Quebec, Bell Canada and Videotron) are conducted in English. This is true for investment and banking companies like the TD Waterhouse, CIBC, the Royal Bank. This is also true for major corporations like Standard Life, Air Canada and CAE.

Also given the fact that the West part of Montreal, particularly the West Island, is overwhelmingly English speaking, and many of the English speaking folks there don't speak any French, it is essential to have a knowledge of English when working in Montreal. You cannot get a well paying job and/or move up the ladder without a good knowledge of English.

McDonald

Nominee Member
Jan 23, 2006
Chicoutimi, Québec
www.myspace.com
My French isn't that bad, but I don't feel it's good enough to secure a job in Montréal, which is where I've always wanted to live and study. I chose instead to study in Ottawa and get a job there, since I can still continue to learn and speak French there but also be able to support myself with a job. And whenever I want, I can go hang out across the river to better my French, then by the time I graduate I'll be able to move to Montréal and get good job. That's the plan.

SlayerJake

May 7, 2006
Montréal
No, not necessarily need French if you get a job in the west of the island of Montreal. Well this thread is 2 months old so you probably won't be reading this now, But whatever.

dekhqonbacha

Electoral Member
Apr 30, 2006
CsL, Mtl, Qc, Ca, NA, Er, SS,MW, Un

martuss said:
as a montrealer i can tell you that if you speek english it may be easier however if you are planning to work in the management area of a company you'll find that most of the work is carried out in english (communications, meetings, etc.)

however, you should be able to communicate with other empolyees. That's why you need to be bilingual.

If you own a company, you can hire bilingual superviser, and carry out your job in English.

dekhqonbacha

Electoral Member
Apr 30, 2006

McDonald said:
My French isn't that bad, but I don't feel it's good enough to secure a job in Montréal, which is where I've always wanted to live and study. I chose instead to study in Ottawa and get a job there, since I can still continue to learn and speak French there but also be able to support myself with a job. And whenever I want, I can go hang out across the river to better my French, then by the time I graduate I'll be able to move to Montréal and get good job. That's the plan.

it depends what kind of job you are interested in. In Ottawa, there are mosty governamental institutions. Finding a other kind of job is difficult, i think.

montreal and toronto are places to find any kind of job.

in toronto findind a job is easir than in montreal but cost of living in toronto is higher. If you have a job, or you have big chances of having a job, montreal is better place.

dekhqonbacha

Electoral Member
Apr 30, 2006
BlackJack_X_X said:
Martuss is correct.

but you should be able to communicate with the other employees.

I talk with my boss in English. And all the paper works are done in English. But I need to speak Frech to speak with other employees.

Being bilingual gives you better chances to find a job and go into higher position.

Look at libirals leadership race. Candidates without knowledge of french are critisized. Consequently, they might not get the leadership.