Montreal Shut Down Far-Right Concert

tay
+1
#1  Top Rated Post
The performance on Saturday night by the far-right metal group Graveland at the Plaza Theater was canceled about an hour before the performance was to have begun.
The organizers of the festival reported taking this decision "for security reasons". They added that the owners of the Plaza Theatre and they had "done everything that was in their power to reach a solution."
The arrival of this group whose members had already expressed racist and anti-Semitic remarks in an interview sowed controversy. Groups had demanded the cancellation of the concert organized as part of a metal rock music festival.
A few hours before the show, thirty people had gathered in front of the Beaubien metro station, located near the theater, to protest against the group's visit.
Among the protesters was the MP for Rosemont-La-Petite-Patrie, NDP Alexandre Boulerice, whose district is located in the neighborhood where the show was to take place.
"I am concerned that there may be groups who have affinities with fascism or have about that resemble white supremacism that are here in my riding in Montreal," he explained.
A more complete accountcan be found here (external - login to view).

Mokkajava
Remember when the Barenaked Ladies were an unknown name in Canada... denied their Canada Day performance based on their name... then shot to the top of Canadian ...and then American Charts??
Best publicity they ever had

tay
Quote: Originally Posted by MokkajavaView Post

Remember when the Barenaked Ladies were an unknown name in Canada... denied their Canada Day performance based on their name... then shot to the top of Canadian ...and then American Charts??
Best publicity they ever had

Yes because of their name not because they were a white power unit........

“A band with racist and anti-Semitic ideas has no place in Montreal,” Karine Fortier wrote in the alert. “Montreal must remain a safe place for everyone and where racist people who think they have an opening to express their discriminatory ideas must meet with resistance.”

Marcotte denied the charge or far right/Nazi ties to either his festival or Graveland, noting in a statement that Fudali held “distressing” views but they were in the past, and that bands invited in the past featured Asian and Black musicians. Fudali himself noted an October post on the band’s website (external - login to view) acknowledging that there were pictures of him and members of the now-defunct Polish Nazi band Honor

Remington1
+1
Good for Montreal on this one.

Machjo
I'm not opposed to censorship per se, but we need to be careful. I believe in the presumption of innocence. Unless they clearly committed a specified crime, then we should not censor them.

HarperCons
Quote: Originally Posted by tayView Post

The performance on Saturday night by the far-right metal group Graveland at the Plaza Theater was canceled about an hour before the performance was to have begun. The organizers of the festival reported taking this decision "for security reasons". They added that the owners of the Plaza Theatre and they had "done everything that was in their power to reach a solution."The arrival of this group whose members had already expressed racist and anti-Semitic remarks in an interview sowed controversy. Groups had demanded the cancellation of the concert organized as part of a metal rock music festival. A few hours before the show, thirty people had gathered in front of the Beaubien metro station, located near the theater, to protest against the group's visit.
Among the protesters was the MP for Rosemont-La-Petite-Patrie, NDP Alexandre Boulerice, whose district is located in the neighborhood where the show was to take place. "I am concerned that there may be groups who have affinities with fascism or have about that resemble white supremacism that are here in my riding in Montreal," he explained.A more complete account

Quote has been trimmed, See full post: View Post
hehe, Graveland. That band that consists of vocalist Rob Darken who dresses up as a medieval knight in his backyard and uses a mop for his fictional horse. I'd be lying if I said I didn't like some of their songs as a teenager, but their bigoted, white supremacist, and outright cartoonist behaviours doesn't really sit well with me nowdays as a functioning adult.

LOL!

petros
You're an adult?