Judge denounces obsolete pot laws, fines man $1

tay
+1
#1  Top Rated Post
Judge denounces obsolete pot laws ("a law that would mean that half of all Canadians would have a criminal file is a stupid law"), fines man $1 for possession of 30 pot plants. Crown prosecutor demanded 3 months in jail.

Articles in French so I will post using the translator.......

While welcoming the commitment of the new Trudeau Government which intends to legalize consumption of marijuana, judge Pierre Chevalier has imposed a symbolic fine of one dollar to a man from the Outaouais arrested for possession of 30 marijuana plants. On the bench, he added in reflecting aloud. If half of Canadians has already consumed the pot, there are strong bet that lawyers and judges have already done...

"A dollar fine" and thirty cents surcharge, launched Chevalier j., Thursday, folder Mario Larouche, a 46-year-old man suffering from several ailments following a road accident.

Mr. Larouche has tried without success to have a prescription to possess legally of cannabis, and lessen his pain.

The Crown sought a sentence of 90 days in custody, and the defense, a fine of $ 250. The magistrate has gone below the two recommendations.

If (the accused) had met with a doctor, he would have probably had his prescription, said first Chevalier j.. Mr would not be in Court today. "Mr is a system about crooked where it does not give access to people to a natural medicine, which dates back to many centuries, millennia. ''

Then, the magistrate ruled on Justin Trudeau's Government, which has pledged to legalize the controversial plant.

"And I think the company will déniaiser on this side there, at least on the side of politicians, he said. There is one who is responsible for currently and that will probably not afraid to go in this direction. It stagnated in Canada on this side, because politically, the people probably wasn't ready to laws evolve at this level here. Irresponsible politicians have simply let things languish because it was to make them lose votes."

Then, came the turn of the judiciary.

"We are in a society where they accused people of possession and use of marijuana while more than half of the population has already consumed. These are laws that are outdated and ridiculous. When you are in the presence of laws where it would take more than half of the population have a criminal record to the Canada... And probably most of the Solicitors for the Crown and the defence, and perhaps judges, but I do not abrogate it. So I think it is time that we look much more lenient way things going."

Cannabis is still considered illegal in the Canada, except for those who have a doctor's authorization.

Un juge dénonce les lois «désuètes et ridicules» sur le cannabis | Louis-Denis Ebacher | Palais de justice (external - login to view)

B00Mer
3 year minimum jail sentence in Canada for having a restricted hand gun in Canada without a permit, judges on many occasions didn't uphold the legislation.... I see the same **** for pot, judges will make their own decision and impose fines... you want to fight it, take it to a higher court... most druggies can't afford the cite costs and lawyers...

tay
[QUOTE=B00Mer;2205039]3 year minimum jail sentence in Canada for having a restricted hand gun in Canada without a permit, judges on many occasions didn't uphold the legislation.... I see the same **** for pot, judges will make their own decision and impose fines... you want to fight it, take it to a higher court... most druggies can't afford the cite costs and lawyers...[/QUOTE

I doubt he will fight a $1.00 fine even if he could afford it.....

"I cannot sit here and not be aware of the position taken by the federal government in Ottawa ...," Judge Warren Zimmer said, during sentencing of a Bible Hill man charged with marijuana possession.

"It would be cruel to sentence him in such a way today that he would wind up with a criminal record," Zimmer said, adding it "would be very unfair" under the circumstances to render a conviction that could hamper the man's ability to earn a living and support his two children, after the Trudeau government had said it is planning to proceed with legalization of marijuana.

Michael LeBlanc, 26, of 18 Village Ct., Bible Hill, was charged last March with 650 grams of marijuana "shake" that defence lawyer Al Begin said he used for medicinal purposes.

Begin said his client's doctor acknowledged that LeBlanc would make a good candidate for a medical marijuana license but he would not issue it because it goes against the physician's personal beliefs.

LeBlanc received a conditional discharge along with six months probation and a $500 donation to the Truro Boys and Girls Club, as recommended by his lawyer. He was also given a $100 victim surcharge fine.

Zimmer went on to say that he would be inclined to sentence LeBlanc the same way "even if Parliament had not made not those statements."

But he also warned LeBlanc that the drug is still illegal and "possession of marijuana is off the books for you, so to speak," unless he were to make proper arrangements to obtain a medicinal license for its use.

Criminal record for marijuana possession would be ‘cruel' punishment, says judge - Local - Truro Daily News (external - login to view)