Somebody is off their rocker.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
91-year-old fined after neighbour complaint about noisy rocking chair

Published Friday, May 1, 2015 9:11AM EDT

An elderly Quebec woman was slapped with a $148 fine after a neighbour called police to report she was making too much noise with her rocking chair.
Police were called to the 91-year-old woman’s apartment in Saguenay, Que., a town approximately 200 kilometres north of Quebec City, on the evening of April 17.
A neighbour reported there was excessive noise coming from the woman’s home at approximately 8:45 p.m.
Nonagenarian Yvette Vachon had been watching television in her rocking chair, and was told by police she was making too much noise with the chair.
Saguenay police spokesperson Bruno Cormier told CTVNews.ca that the officer gave her a $148 ticket for violating the city’s excessive noise bylaw, which applies to anyone “shouting, swearing or behaving in a way to annoy the neighbours or passersby.”
Vachon’s ticket covers a $100 fine, plus a standard $48 administrative fee.
Police said it was the first time any complaint had been made against the woman.

Quebec senior fined $148 after neighbour complains about noisy chair | CTV News

WTF is the matter with people? A rocking chair violated the excessive noise bylaw? Even if it did, was there maybe another way this could have been handled? Good grief!

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
This could start a million rocking chair stampede where people all over the city
climb aboard their rocking chairs and rock like hell well into the night the cops
would go crazy

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Call me old fashioned, I just think we should strive for a bit of a higher standard.

Apparently that IS a higher standard than what we have now.

Yeah, it's damfoolery at its height. On the other hand, I like to think (hope) it's not typical.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
I'm torn between putting a cushion the the rockers of studding then with tap dancer clips and put on some fast fiddle music. (for the daytime hours)

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
how hard to you have to be rocking to have a neighbour hear you?

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
This could start a million rocking chair stampede where people all over the city
climb aboard their rocking chairs and rock like hell well into the night the cops
would go crazy

Lol, I'd pay real money to see that!

Like someone said in the column's comments "Grandma should keep on rockin' in the free world".

Apparently that IS a higher standard than what we have now.

You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one.

Yeah, it's damfoolery at its height. On the other hand, I like to think (hope) it's not typical.
I'd hope not as well. On the other hand, I always grow suspicious because of my belief that we really only get a small percentage of the true stories. If these are the things we're hearing about, what don't we know?

Paranoid? Perhaps but as I've said before, I have some trust issues.

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
well if the floors are wooden and they are squeaky along with the chair and you are right below with nowhere to go I guess it could be loud

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Que. police drop $148 fine against 91-year-old woman over noisy rocking chair

Published Friday, May 1, 2015 9:11AM EDT
Last Updated Friday, May 1, 2015 5:16PM EDT

Police in Saquenay, Que. reportedly dropped charges Friday against an elderly woman who had been fined $148 for making too much noise with her rocking chair.

Police had ticketed Yvette Vachon, 91, on April 17 after her neighbour filed a complaint.

By Friday afternoon, after the story had made headlines across the country, the problem appeared to be solved.

"After analyzing the situation they decided to cancel the ticket. All is settled now," Vachon's lawyer, Charles Cantin, told Le Quotidien newspaper.

Police were called to Vachon's apartment on April 17 by a neighbour who reported there was excessive noise coming from the woman's home at around 8:45 p.m. She was sitting in her rocking chair watching television at the time she was fined.

Que. police drop $148 fine against 91-year-old woman over noisy rocking chair | CTV News

Damn. Just when we had a good outrage going.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
I truly believe those officers should be charged with somethin' after harassing that poor old lady...
The seniors in that city should riot and burn a few police cars.......

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I truly believe those officers should be charged with somethin' after harassing that poor old lady...
The seniors in that city should riot and burn a few police cars.......

I'd be curious to see that. I'm visualizing a lot of walkers.......gonna be one slow riot.