Popeye the dog gets 'Hero' award for saving 17 horses

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Popeye the dog gets 'Hero' award for saving 17 horses
Caroline Pailliez, QMI Agency
First posted: Monday, February 16, 2015 12:30 PM EST | Updated: Monday, February 16, 2015 12:36 PM EST
MONTREAL -- Popeye the dog was inducted into Quebec's Animal Hall of Fame on Sunday for rescuing 17 horses from certain death in a stable fire.
The Neapolitan mastiff received the "Hero" prize from Quebec's association of veterinarians for his bravery during the fire on Oct. 8, 2013.
An equestrian centre just east of Montreal went up in flames in the middle of the night. Owner Gilles Godbout tried to save his 30 horses but the terrified animals refused to move.
"Popeye knew what to do," Godbout told QMI Agency at the awards ceremony on Sunday. "I opened the stalls and sent him in to nibble on the horses' legs. He saved 17 that way."
Popeye continued his mission until the ceiling collapsed. The last horse got out with its mane on fire.
"I don't even know how to thank him," said Godbout, breaking into sobs. "He didn't hesitate for a minute. He would have died for me if he had to."
Two other dogs also received honours at the event. One was Pete, a retired Canada Border Services Agency tracker.
The 13-year-old Lab took the "Professional" award following a career spent sniffing for firearms and chasing down poachers.
Pete also detected cash, fake currency and narcotics.
"He never missed his mark. This is one of the best in Canada," said his proud master, Richard Berube.
Fallon, a Labernese guide dog, won the "Companion" award for years of service to hearing-impaired owner Danielle Chaput.
"She changed my life," said Chaput. "She accompanies me everywhere. She gave me back my independence and self-esteem."
Gilles Godbout and his dog, Popeye. (JOEL LEMAY/QMI Agency)

Popeye the dog gets 'Hero' award for saving 17 horses | Canada | News | Toronto