Schooling and Working in Quebec

cudelxo

Oct 11, 2014
Hey to someone who will read this!

I've been planning to move in Quebec. I just graduated high school this year and I've been wanting to learn French (Quebec) so badly. I live in English speaking province and I just moved in Canada 4 years ago from Asia. I always wonder which schools in Quebec I can learn French that also speaks English? I don't speak French at all. Although I've tried to teach myself online but it's French France and I don't want to learn French France because it's a little bit different from Quebec.

I also want to get a job there while living on my own at least I could earn some money for my schooling and appartment rents. I feel like speaking French is mandatory in Quebec so I am confused and I don't know what to do. I always wonder if I can learn it here in some colleges and move in Quebec when I'm ready but I really think being around with people who speak French would be the best way to learn it.

So someone please help me and give me some suggestions/advice
Thank you so much! x

no color

Electoral Member
May 20, 2007
1967 World's Fair
Just because you plan on moving to Quebec doesn't necessarily mean that you will automatically learn French. Quebec is not France. In fact many of us English speakers in the province speak no French. Some towns in the west part of Montreal (West Island and West End) have a majority English speaking population, thus making the need to learn French unnecessary, particularly if your job doesn't involve public service work.

So no, it is not mandatory to know French if living in Quebec. The Montreal downtown area has two English language universities where you can study entirely in English. However, I'm sure either of the two universities offer language programs where you can learn French if you so desire.