'Phantom' quints pregnancy devastates dad-to-be

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
'Phantom' quints pregnancy devastates dad-to-be
Camille Laurin-Desjardins and Marie-Pier Gagne, QMI AGENCY
First posted: Thursday, March 20, 2014 01:45 PM EDT | Updated: Thursday, March 20, 2014 02:05 PM EDT
MONTREAL — A man who believed for months that he was going to be the father of quintuplets instead found out in hospital his girlfriend was never pregnant.
Delivery day came and went on Wednesday and only then did Paul Servat, 35, realize Barbara Bienvenue, 37, wasn't with children.
A disappointed and tearful father recounted his dashed dreams to QMI Agency at his home south of Montreal, in the baby room filled with five colourfully adorned cribs that lie empty.
"She let me choose the names," Servat, 35, said between sobs, surrounded by donated gifts for the five fictitious babies.
"I lost everything, it was my whole life."
Servat said Bienvenue's baby story lasted 34 weeks, after she had surprised her new beau in September with news that she was expecting.
"We were so happy," Servat said. "Even my parents, they were so looking forward to having grandchildren."
As weeks passed Bienvenue told Servat she was expecting twins, then triplets, then quadruplets and finally the stunning news that there were five babies in her belly.
On Wednesday, Servat took Bienvenue to a hospital where staff told him they had no file for the pregnancy. A nurse finally took Servat aside to show him the results of blood tests.
"She told me she was not pregnant," he said.
At first he didn't want to believe it.
"The doctors told me it was a phantom pregnancy," said Servat, who added doctors have kept Bienvenue under psychiatric observation.
He said Bienvenue was so convinced she was pregnant that her belly swelled, she began lactating and even had morning sickness.
The couple, who met online last summer, had amassed a motherlode of gifts after a friend created a Facebook page to help them.
"I'll return all these things to people who sent them or give them (away)," Servat said.
"I'm a good person and I have nothing to do with these lies."
---
False pregnancy (Pseudocyesis)
Pseudocyesis is the false belief that one is pregnant.
Sufferers can exhibit all of the symptoms of pregnancy, but with no baby.
Symptoms can last for weeks, months, or even several years.
Psychological support, including therapy, is recommended.
Male partners of women with pseudocyesis can suffer a related "sympathetic pregnancy" syndrome in which they exhibit weight gain, nausea, and backache.
Source: WebMD.com
Paul Servat believed for months that he would become the father of quintuplets but discovered on delivery day that his girlfriend wasn't pregnant. (CAMILLE LAURIN-DESJARDINS/QMI AGENCY)
Paul Servat and Barbara Bienvenue. (CAMILLE LAURIN-DESJARDINS/QMI AGENCY)

'Phantom' quints pregnancy devastates dad-to-be | Canada | News | Toronto Sun

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Not first phantom pregnancy for Quebec woman, family says
Marie-Pier Gagne and Camille Laurin-Desjardins, QMI AGENCY
First posted: Friday, March 21, 2014 01:03 PM EDT | Updated: Friday, March 21, 2014 05:24 PM EDT
MONTREAL — Barbara Bienvenue, the 37-year-old Quebec woman who pretended to be pregnant with quintuplets, has done the same thing before, relatives and an ex-boyfriend tell QMI Agency.
Bienvenue is now in a psychiatric ward, but friends and family allege she previously posed as cancer patient and an expectant mother of twins.
Relatives told QMI they weren't surprised to hear that her Wednesday due date came and went with no babies.
"This isn't the first time she's done it," said a male relative who didn't want to be named for fear of reprisal. "But honestly, we never would have thought she was sick enough to do it again."
QMI spoke this week with Bienvenue's tearful boyfriend Paul Servat, who said he was led to believe for 34 weeks that Bienvenue was expecting quintuplets. He went to hospital with Bienvenue where a nurse said the woman was never pregnant.

Not first phantom pregnancy for Quebec woman, family says | Canada | News | Toronto Sun

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Bienvenue is now in a psychiatric ward, but friends and family allege she previously posed as cancer patient and an expectant mother of twins.
*falls on the floor laughing*

sorry my bad!

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
I'm surprised that no one thought to give the poor guy a heads up about her previous shenanigans with regards to pregnancy.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I'm surprised that no one thought to give the poor guy a heads up about her previous shenanigans with regards to pregnancy.
meh, two of a kind...this could not have been the first time she behaved in a manner which would make balanced people question her ... where were the ultrasounds, did he never go to the doctor with her...ya know...things normal couples would do together especially with that many children about to appear...

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
meh, two of a kind...this could not have been the first time she behaved in a manner which would make balanced people question her ... where were the ultrasounds, did he never go to the doctor with her...ya know...things normal couples would do together especially with that many children about to appear...

It's not unheard of for the woman to make excuses as to why the ultrasounds weren't done, and some couples don't want an ultrasound done as they want the sex of the child to be a mystery until the birth.

And is it just me, or are the hands/arms on the table quite weird looking? Something with the way the picture was taken?

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
It's not unheard of for the woman to make excuses as to why the ultrasounds weren't done, and some couples don't want an ultrasound done as they want the sex of the child to be a mystery until the birth.

And is it just me, or are the hands/arms on the table quite weird looking? Something with the way the picture was taken?
It's not unheard of? I disagree, not with that many babies, it a multiple birth situation and buddy knows nothing... meh...I don't buy it...not wishing to know the sex of the baby does not mean you don't have ultra sounds done ...nah the guy is right up there with her.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
It's not unheard of? I disagree, not with that many babies, it a multiple birth situation and buddy knows nothing... meh...I don't buy it...not wishing to know the sex of the baby does not mean you don't have ultra sounds done ...nah the guy is right up there with her.

I'm not saying you're wrong, just that there isn't a ton of information about this situation. Who knows? Maybe he is complicit in it, or perhaps he is just naive?

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I'm not saying you're wrong, just that there isn't a ton of information about this situation. Who knows? Maybe he is complicit in it, or perhaps he is just naive?
no it was phantom and she is unbalanced...she likely wanted to be pregnant, and thought she was...because of past experience she may have consciously or unconsciously avoided doctor visits... he thought she was... my point was only that most young couples in our society in this day and age are involved in the pregnancy together...most normal guys who wanted the baby would be going to the doctor with her, going to the ultrasounds with her, you know...involved...when you speak to young people today they say "we" are pregnant...not my wife is pregnant.... the guy is a strong partner

buddy here hadn't a clue so it was a big shock for him

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
no it was phantom and she is unbalanced...she likely wanted to be pregnant, and thought she was...because of past experience she may have consciously or unconsciously avoided doctor visits... he thought she was... my point was only that most young couples in our society in this day and age are involved in the pregnancy together...most normal guys who wanted the baby would be going to the doctor with her, going to the ultrasounds with her, you know...involved...when you speak to young people today they say "we" are pregnant...not my wife is pregnant.... the guy is a strong partner

buddy here hadn't a clue so it was a big shock for him

I will admit that my brain isn't fully funtioning at the moment (worked until 4am), so it is a big shock to me as well.;)

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario

Ultrasounds aren't about the sex, it's an unreliable tool for determining sex anyway. It's about checking on fetal development.

A con is a con is a con, many people have convinced many other people of the most outrageous things. It's just a skill and a talent that some people possess. I'm sure he feels pretty stupid right about now. But then again too there seems to be this entire group of people out there who willingly share their most embarrassing moments for the world, what I like to call the Jerry Springer phenomenon.

*shudder*

Jar Jar ****ing Binks. Thanks a lot, spammy! Now how the hell am I supposed to get some sleep?!?

Clear your mind. Now think about The Exorcist, The Amityville Horror, The Omen....sleep will come in no time. ;)

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
A con is a con is a con, many people have convinced many other people of the most outrageous things. It's just a skill and a talent that some people possess. I'm sure he feels pretty stupid right about now. But then again too there seems to be this entire group of people out there who willingly share their most embarrassing moments for the world, what I like to call the Jerry Springer phenomenon.
Are you then of the opinion that this was totally fabricated on her part?

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Are you then of the opinion that this was totally fabricated on her part?

I honestly don't know. But given her history, it's speaks to her being one to fabricate such a story. And it's established, in the article, that she's mentally unbalanced, so much so they've committed her.

In my experience outsiders (us) tend to find disbelief in the victims of many con jobs because we read an outlandish story and think "how can anybody buy that?". I do as well, I think it's almost instinctual for us. Yet it does happen. To me it's equally plausible that he's either gullible or complicit, that was my only point.